I've been looking back at 2013.....both what I hoped to achieve/do/be when the year was new and contemplating how much(if any)of it came to fruition.
And I think I can safely say that I am GLAD to be kissing it's ass goodbye.
Except for a few highlights, 2013 was one of the least favorite years.
I guess almost dying will color your experience of a year that way, huh?
I never got around to posting a Grand List of Goals for 2013, frankly because I didn't get around to it early in the new year and when I did start forming them, well, I had a health crisis so that sort of(frivolous by comparison)thing just flew out the window. 8-)
I did do a monthly goal list in 2013 but I didn't keep those lists when the particular month was over. Sometimes I rolled anything not accomplished into the next month and sometimes I just let them drop off.
Overall I can look back and see that I didn't read as much as I had hoped, didn't sew as much as I had planned(still am not sewing here!lol), and didn't see the number on the scale I wanted to by year's end.
But on the other hand, I got healthier, changed some bad habits/lifestyle choices, reached out more to others(friends AND family), appreciated my Hubs more, and cleared out things from my life.
Even with that almost dying thing happening, maybe 2013 wasn't so bad.......nah, it still sucked. lolz
I will say that we did experience some good things in 2013 so it wasn't all bad here at Chez Sluggy.
First the Personal Lowlights of 2013(bad things first, good things last, so we can end this on the positive).....
5. How much financial "outgo" happened this year....between car repairs and replacements, dental problems, home repairs and remodels and new heating systems that don't work and college outlays, it was an expensive year.
4. Various small crisis my kids' experienced in 2013....#2 Son's accident was the worst of those things. Nobody died or was seriously injured physically or emotionally but I'm the mom, so I worry.
3. Losing one of our last 2 dogs.
2. Having a child(almost grown though)move her life 1200 miles away from us.
1. Experiencing a health crisis that almost took me down.
And now the Highlights of 2013.....
5. #1 Son finished college and transitioned smoothly into the working world.....not the dream job he wanted but it's a good start.
4. #2 Son made strides toward adulthood(got license, good work ethic at school and his job, developed a passion for music, formed a plan for beyond high school and was happier socially, etc.)
3. Keeping on track financially despite the unforeseen monetary pitfalls that had to be addressed so Hubs can retire in a few years.
2. Did a lot more traveling and connecting in real life with friends and reconnecting with family.
1. Made strides in turning my life around-from taking better care of my health, to cleaning out clutter and old ways that were weighing me down, to being a better steward of our money.
**At this point the hotel internet went down and took the last half of my post with it, because we had to check out so I couldn't save what I had written. Of course, it was deep and profound but I can't remember 2 minutes ago, let alone 8 hours ago, so no one will ever see it now.
So trust me, it was awesome.....lol!**
2013 was a mixed bag of good and bad, with one really big bad. But even the bad stuff can end up making you better if you learn the lessons it teaches.
While I am thankful to still be among the living, having a health crisis kicked me in the ass, which is what I probably needed. I got serious about my health and got myself out of a rut I had been in for years. I have changed behaviors, let go of some emotional baggage, am appreciating certain people more and leading a more balanced and fuller life.
You can leave now 2013. I appreciate the lessons you taught me but you have overstayed your welcome!
Bring on 2014!!
I still have a lot of work to do on myself but I'm taking names and I'm gonna kick ass......
Here's to all my readers, friends and family who have accompanied me on this journey through 2013.
May 2014 be brighter and better and our paths be full of opportunities! Cherish those people in your life and keep those who have gone before you alive in your hearts.
Here's to us all......