Saturday, August 18, 2018

Zucchini Madness!

The tomatoes are coming fast and furiously and it's hard to keep up with them now, both using them/preserving them and keeping track of the harvest totals.


I think there is another zucchini lurking in the undergrowth as well....trying to get too large before I find him. lolz

Garden Harvest Totals Updated for Sunday 8/12/18

Lettuce     14.10 oz
Basil           2.00 oz
Eggplant     2.40 oz
Squash    182.30 oz
Tomatoes  79.90 oz
Zuke        396.40 oz
SubTotal...677.10 oz or 42 lbs. 31 oz.

I've been trying to find ways to use up all this zucchini.  I am trying to stay ahead of it.

The Sunday before my foot got hurt,  I made small loaves of zucchini bread with chocolate chips........



I made 6 but by the time I got off bed rest and took a photo, 2 loaves had disappeared.
Putting chocolate in it guarantees the family will eat it.  ;-)

I have made in the last 3 weeks.......

* Fried Zucchini
* Lemon Pepper Chicken w/Zuke and Tomatoes
* Fried Zucchini again
* Zucchini Bread
* Stuffed Zucchini
* Zucchini Risotto
* Zucchini Waffles

Still on the list is Chocolate Zucchini Cake(will make this next week)and prolly another night of Fried Zucchini and then I am grating and slicing the rest for the freezer for use later this year.

I got creative the weekend before last w/some zuke.
I had these chicken sausages lingering in the freezer that needed to be used..........


So I caramelized some onions and browned some zucchini pieces over high heat.......


Then took half the stock from when I boiled two chickens end of last month, added some water and heated it up..........


so I could make risotto rice....

Add the zucchini and onions and the grilled chicken sausages and there's dinner!

I also riffed on stuffed green peppers(I don't care for green pepper)and did stuffed zucchini with a Mexican flair......


Used up 3 zucchinis, ground beef I had browned up and frozen, 3 ears of leftover corn and the rest of the leftover enchilada sauce I made from scratch when we had chicken enchiladas.
Shred cheese on top and bake and you've got Taco Zucchini.

Next year I think TWO zucchini plants will be sufficient in the garden. ;-)

Sluggy

19 comments:

  1. Hi Sluggy, this is Chris. We like zucchini and tomatoes as a side dish, I slice the zucchini and cook in a little olive oil. Add the chopped up tomatoes and cook briefly, and also add a little Italian seasoning. Using zucchini for stuffed peppers instead of peppers sounds good also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a lot like my Lemon Pepper Chicken w/Zuke and Tomatoes, thanks.

      Delete
  2. On my blog there is a zucchini casserole that is so delicious that little children ate it and begged for more. So, one night we had several pans of it. It might be something different for you. I don't like bell peppers either, except for as a flavoring. When I do make it, I give the pepper to exbf to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! I love zucchini, those taco zucchini look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you have any interest in a recipe for zucchini meatballs? My son is a vegetarian and I made them for him - I even liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please the recipe do the meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "taco zucchini" looks fantastic and I am always looking for new ways to use up zucchini!!! I have a bunch shredded in the freezer - any ideas for using that up aside from bread & muffins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added shredded zuke to waffles, meatloaf and spaghetti sauce. I use to hide things like zuke, carrots, squash in food when the kids were little. 8-)

      Delete
  7. Try Ina Garten's zucchini gratin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks similar to a zucchini casserole I make, thanks.

      Delete
  8. ZUCCHINI MEATBALLS (from SkinnyTaste.com)

    5 Freestyle Points 259 calories
    TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes

    These meatless meatballs were a HUGE hit in my house, I even let my neighbors and friends try and everyone loved them! Made with grated zucchini, garlic, Pecorino Romano, basil, bread crumbs and egg, then baked in the oven and finished in a pomodoro sauce.

    INGREDIENTS:

    cooking spray
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 1/4 lbs unpeeled zucchini, grated
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    3 tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
    1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 ounce (1/4 cup) Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
    2 cups quick marinara sauce or jarred (I love DeLallo Pomodoro)
    part skim ricotta cheese, for serving (optional)


    DIRECTIONS:


    Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

    Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds.

    Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes.

    Transfer to a colander to get rid of any excess water, then to a large bowl along with the bread crumbs, beaten egg, Romano cheese and chopped basil. (Note: I used cheesecloth to squeeze out the water.)

    Form the zucchini mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top and bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.

    Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
    Garnish the meatballs with fresh basil leaves and serve with ricotta or grated cheese if desired.

    NUTRITION INFORMATION

    Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 4 meatballs

    Amount Per Serving:
    Freestyle Points: 5
    Points +: 7
    Calories: 259 calories
    Total Fat: 12g
    Saturated Fat: g
    Cholesterol: 52mg
    Sodium: 1182mg
    Carbohydrates: 30g
    Fiber: 6g
    Sugar: 9g
    Protein: 10g

    Read more at https://www.skinnytaste.com/zucchini-meatballs_20/#MAbIJoxL0pw85pQl.99

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe Bobbie. Do you know if these freeze well?

      Delete
  9. Oooh...Taco Zucchini sounds fabulous! Adding cheese to anything and i’m in! I just picked our first tomato. It would be the fifth except the first four were tossed due to craters in the flesh. boo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've lost quite a few maters to critters here.

      Delete
  10. Your garden has been very productive! We grill just about everything, including zucchini. Slice in half lengthwise, scoop out middle, season with salt and pepper, grill on both sides and then we stuff them with shredded cheese, sour cream and bacon when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So serve it like a baked potato? Everything is better with bacon.....hehehe

      Delete
  11. it's either feast or famine with zucchini.Luckily I like zucchini, may make a zucchini, onion, mushroom and cheese omlette for supper tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like lots of Zucchini on your menu, Sluggy. That;s funny that some of the loaves disappeared since they had chocolate in them. Your tomatoes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now there's an idea I'm going to swipe! We like stuffed peppers but we also LOVE us some zucchini! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.