Sunday, August 5, 2018

2018 Income & Spending Report.....July Update

Now that we are living on an annuity(like a pension) and 401K$ withdrawals(retirement savings), I am still going to keep track of our monthly spending and income, and hopefully we'll still be able to live BELOW our means and I'll have some leftover monies each month to tuck aside.

But this money leftover at the end of each month, at least for now(as we find our new financial "normal")won't be saved toward a yearly Savings Challenge.  This leftover cash will go into a "Slush Fund" for now to be used if we have any emergencies come up during the year.  If we still have Slush Funds at the end of the year we'll decide then what to do with those funds.

I have set up a page to track the Slush Fund.  Click on the tab marked "Slush Fund 2018" at the top of the blog.

  I am trying to be as transparent as I can with how much is coming in and how much is going out.  8-)


On to the July 2018 report--

I had 2 goals for July......
The 1st is to actually finish the month in the black and not the red.
The 2nd is to try to have a little cash leftover at the end of the previous month to tuck back into a slush fund.  This slush fun may be to apply toward unforeseen bills that are coming due in subsequent months, to spend on "extras/wants" during the year or to just sit there and grow until the end of 2018.

I have to report that we finished up July in the black.
The extra amount we ended the month of July with?.......$2795.65

Income or Funds We Can Access

The "income" in July---

* Monthly annuity payment of $3218.16(after tax withholding)
* RMSA(Healthcare account)reimbursement of $1813.48
* One third of 401K withdrawal balance(after funding Sinking Fund)for July of $615.69 #
* Interest earned on non-retirement accounts of $372.92
* Blogging revenue check of $116.10
* LA house water deposit refund $34.90

Total "Income" for July......$6171.25

# We made a 3rd quarter 401K withdrawal in July of $6K.  After withholding for taxes due we got $5147.07 net.  $3300.00 of that gets put into the Sinking Fund to cover irregular bills coming due this quarter(house insurance in Aug., LTC insurance and school taxes in Sept). $1847.07 is the balance of the 3rd quarter 401K withdrawal.  This got divided by 3 and gives us $615.69 extra in July to add to the income for the month(Aug. and Sept. also got $615.69)for general expenses.


Expenses in July---

* Healthcare Premium for July was $1813.48.(paid with RMSA reimbursement)
* Variable Expenses in July came to $1562.12


Sinking Fund--The balance in the Sinking Fund coming into July was $557.48.  The addition of $3300.00 in July from the 401K withdrawal gives us a balance of $3857.48. No irregular bills were due in July so the Sinking Fund goes into August at $3857.48.


We went into July with $17,010.20 in the Slush Fund.
Add in July's overage of $2795.65 to the Slush Fund and it stands at $19,805.85 going into August..


Outgo
As for the variable expenses this July, here are the good and the bad side of things....

HERE are the GOOD THINGS

*  Phone charges and internet were approximately the same as in June(Within $1 or so).
*  The water bill was $25.62 lower than last month.
*  The credit card bill was $775.73 lower than June.
*  The cash WAM withdrawals were the same as last month.
*  The health insurance premium was the same as in June.


HERE are the BAD THING

*  The electric bill was $10.26 higher than last month.
*  The gas card charges were $46.26 higher than in June.
*  We had a dental bill of $30.60
*  We had a Discover card bill of $11.43(Hubs' extra card)
*  The Passport cost me $160.


The Food Budget costs for July are in another post, which is located HERE.  Food costs are covered in the credit card payment(sometimes our WAM cash too).

So we end July in the black with $2795.65 in new general overage to add to the Slush Fund.
The Sinking Fund goes into August standing at $3857.48

FINAL THOUGHTS on July---
It was a very good month in terms of low spending/bills and a couple of extra revenue streams(blogging, utility deposit).

THOUGHTS going forward into August 2018----This month there is one irregular bills due(house insurance at $648).
The WAM withdrawal will be the same in August, $200.
I don't foresee any extraordinary bills other than the c/c bill is a little higher due to some irregular charges(yearly Ancestry account fee, my car was serviced, fees for birth certificate, $300 in eating out and beer purchases while Eldest son was here, adding up to the tune of $600+).


So how was your July financially?
  
Did you spend less than the income you had in July?
Did you stay within your budget or not?
What did you do with any money leftover at the end of the month?
Did you pay off any debts or put extra toward your mortgage principle or into savings, in an emergency fund or a retirement account?
Or did you blow it on a want?

If you posted your financial progress on your own blog, leave a link in the comments so we can go check out your progress too and celebrate or commiserate with you!

Make this year was the one were you clean up your finances and pay off your debts.
Plan to set something aside if you didn't already or increase what you have banked now for your future self.
Or pay extra on the principle of your mortgage if your house isn't already paid off.

Live below your means and keep some change for a rainy day....because no matter how sunny it is in your life now, dark clouds come along and you'll be glad you have that umbrella to keep you dry.

Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. SOunds like a great month for you, SLuggy. Glad you ended the month in the black. Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day I am so excited I found your blog, I really found you by
    mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all
    round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it
    all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more,
    Please do keep up the awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question and I truly don't mean any disrespect but do you ever worry that instead of being concerned about overspending and going into the red that you might question when you would or could feel comfortable "enjoying the fruits of your labor". I admire what you have done and where you're at but then I recall reading a very interesting article (I wish I could remember, I think USA Today) about how it can become harder for some retiree's to spend money than it was to save it. I understand and admire the chase and thrill of the bargain and rite aids etc. I know for myself I have not done great at saving (terrible in fact) but have been lucky to have a good pension, still enjoy part time work and will soon have SS so am fine but will find myself having a harder time treating myself which seems to get worse the older I get. (not others I overspend on them). What are your thoughts on this? When is enough is enough? Would you have too much anxiety if you took your slush find and blew it on a cruise or whatever's your thing? Touring all brewery's in Germany :). Again no judgement or disrespect but just wondering about the other side of the coin. I do enjoy seeing the bumper sticker "I'm spending my children's inheritance"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good question. I am teetering on, Do I put in that back door and patio so I can enjoy my backyard more or do I keep that money in savings for my retirement? Argh! Tough decisions.

      Delete
  4. Well done Sluggy! My July was pretty good. I stayed pretty much on target and in fact paid off one of the credit cards. The side hustle income is helping, but I am physically tired. Working 7 days a week is starting to take a toll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel this is among the so much vital info for me. And i'm satisfied reading your article.

    But should remark on some general things,
    The website style is ideal, the articles is
    in point of fact excellent : D. Good process, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make retirement look easy. We did really well this month. We hit all of our financial goals.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.