Saturday, June 20, 2009

K-Mart Clothes for Dad, Movie Tickets & Gift Card for ME!

So, I saw this deal over on this Blog HERE. That got the lil' wheels in my head turning....uh oh, this is trouble!lol

The Hubby & #2 son needed some clothes, so we headed down to KMart this morning for a few things. While I am a Compact-or(on year 3 so not nearly as strict as I once was but still very mindful when consuming), hubby and the family still aren't on board. I have gotten them to recycle more and repurpose things but they want brand-spanking new sometimes, especially when it comes to what they wear...though I have made inroads with daughter with shopping at the thrift store. I can get the rest of the family to tow the line with some used things, but clothes, no way. I do question purchases though and make sure that what is bought is NEEDED.

Before we left, I printed out one of those $5 off a $50 purchase coupons for K-Mart. Once in the store, I had hubby & #2 son head over to the men's dept. to pick out what they needed and I made 2 purchases before I joined them there.
1. I went to the Pharmacy to pick-up a prescription. I had a coupon to get a FREE $10 Gift Card, which I received. The prescription had to be filled SOMEWHERE....might as well fill it at KMart and get free money, right?lol
2. Next I went to the check-out and bought a $50 KMart Gift Card. KMart is running a special that ends today, where you get a FREE $10 Reward Card(it's a Gift Card)when you purchase a $50 Gift Card. I put the $50 GC on the credit card. We pay the cc off each month and we'll get points for that $50 good toward a Free Gift Card at one of the participating stores(CVS is one!).
Then I headed over to the Men's Dept. and helped my fashion-challenged menfolk pick out some clothing. ;-) Most of the men's clothing was on sale today too! We got some shirts, jeans, socks & a belt. Hubby also needed sneakers so he picked up a pair for 50% off!
With the shoes, the reg. retail came to $112.92 for 4 shirts, a bag of socks, a pr. of sneakers, 1 belt & 1 pr. of jeans.
With the sale prices, everything came to $68.45.
I used that $5/$50 KMart coupon I printed online.
The bag of socks also had a $1 Peelie coupon on it(and an extra pair of socks inside too!lol), so that made $6 off my total...$68.45-$6=$62.45.
I paid with the $50 Gift Card....$62.45-$50=$12.45.
Then I paid with the $10 Pharmacy Gift Card...$12.45-$10=$2.45.
$2.45 in Cash to the cashier.
And out popped the code for 2 FREE MOVIE TICKETS.


To recap.....
I got--
$112.92 worth of Clothing the menfolk needed.
$10 free Gift Card-2 free $10 Gift Cards if you count the Pharmacy card too.
$14 worth of movie tickets(2).
$136.92-$146.92 worth of stuff.

I am out of pocket $52.45(the cost of the $50 GC and the $2.45 cash, or $62.45 if you count the prescription I had filled).

The "Reward Card" Gift Card had a label on the front that it had to be activated to be valid and you can't activate it until Monday, June 22nd. This meant I couldn't use it right away for my clothing transaction. The Reward Card has a July 31st expiration date so I'm hoping for Double Coupons again in the coming weeks. If not, KMart will be having summer clearance sales and I'll get a good deal on something else if I don't pick up food or toiletries. I could always use it to pay for another transferred prescription I suppose & then use an Rx coupon to get another free $10 Pharmacy Gift Card(that doesn't expire in 5 weeks).

Not a bad morning's work.

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. you're a marvel! I did pretty well at math in school, but even I can't keep some of these transactions straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG! I love seeing people work deals like this. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty--some of these complicated ones make even MY head hurt thinkin' so hard!lol

    Crystal--thanks for reading and the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.