Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Recipe-CHEESY CHICKEN BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE

Here's an easy crockpot recipe.

It's my take on a Schwan's product I use to buy, back when I spent too much money on things. It was called Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole, or something like that.

I can't find this item listed on their website anymore but it came premixed in a bag. You just had to dump it into a bowl and microwave or heat up in the oven.
They now sell the ingredients separately. They have a 'recipe' on the website that is similar to that product, that you can make, using their purchased ingredients.

It was a Chicken & Broccoli Casserole with Rice in a Creamy Cheesy Sauce. I think it went for about $7 a bag. I use to buy 2 bags to feed the 5 of us. That was $14 per meal for us 4 yrs. ago. So add for inflation and the cost now would be around $18-$20 if they still sold this item.

To make this Dish you need....

1 small Whole Chicken
1 Can of Chicken Broth
1 Can of a Creamed Soup(Cream of Chicken)
3 Cups of Rice(Any Type)
1-2 Bags of Frozen Vegetables
1 Block of Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup of Milk







To make my version of CHEESY CHICKEN BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE, get out your crockpot and a small whole chicken. I like to use about a 3-3.5 lbs. bird. You can use a bigger bird if you want more chicken in your casserole.
Basically, turn on your crockpot to high or med. high, rinse off your chicken and place it in the crock. You can season &/or pepper it if you like. You really don't need to salt it, as the cheese and chicken broth you add will make this dish salty enough.
Put the lid on your crockpot and let the bird cook until it is tender, fall-off-the-bone done. My crockpot takes about 4 hours to get the chicken to this point.
When done, remove the chicken.

There will be alot of juices from the chicken in the crock. Leave the juices in there!
Add 1 can of chicken broth. You can also use chicken bouillion & the appropriate amount of water instead.

Fill your now empty chicken broth can with rice.

You can use any type of rice you prefer. Empty the can of rice into the crock. If you like more rice, add another half of a can of rice and 1 full can of water or more bouillion. Replace the lid and let it cook for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, remove lid & stir your rice.

Now add your frozen vegetables. I had broccoli and cauliflower mixture on hand, so that is what I added. I also put in a partial bag of crinkle-cut carrots. You can basically add whatever vegetable(s) you like to eat.

Add at least 1 bag, more if you like alot of veggies.
Debone your chicken and tear or cut the meat into chunks. Put chunks into the crockpot with your rice/veggie mixture. Replace the lid and let it cook for another hour.

After 1 hour, remove lid and stir the mixture. Turn off the heat, replace lid.
Open and add 1 can of Creamed Soup to a mixing/serving bowl(or into a sauce pan if you prefer to heat this on the stove). I use Cream of Chicken. You could also use Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery or Cheddar Cheese Soup if you prefer. Fill the can halfway with milk & add to soup.
Stir & heat over medium on stove or in microwave.

Grate 1 block of Cheddar Cheese.

Using a wisk, integrate grated Cheese into your Creamed Soup a handful at a time. This keeps the cheese & milk in your sauce from separating.

When the Cheese is thoroughly incorporated into your Soup, remove from heat and add to the Chicken/Rice/Veggie Mixture.
Stir and Serve immediately.



My cost breakdown for this meal.
1 Chicken on sale $3.52
1 block of cheese $1.00
1.5 bags of veggies $1.75
Rice-1/3 of a bag $1.33
1 Can of Soup $1.00
1 Can of Chicken Broth $.54
1 Cup of Milk $.25
Total $9.39
Makes 8 Generous Servings.
$1.17 per Serving

I was rushed toward the end of making this, as we had to attend #1 son's Awards Ceremony at the High School, so I didn't have time to take pictures of the last few steps and the finished product. I'll take some photos the next time I make this dish and add them to the recipe post.

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it.
    Thanks for sharing all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. I have a cooked chicken in my fridge as we speak. I may have to make this recipe soon! Like tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that sounds very yummy!! thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks delicious mama I gonna try to do it this weekend

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.