Thursday, October 15, 2009

With Apologies to Julia Child...or Beef Bourguignon the Sluggy Way

So 2 weeks ago after I dug a large piece of Beef Roast out of the back of my recesses of my freezer, I had the inspired idea to put Beef Bourguignon on my Weekly Menu Plan. 
HAHAHA!

I printed off a copy of Julia Child's recipe for said dish and we were off to the races....

I hit my first roadblock with the 1st ingredient.....this should have served as a sign of things to come.lol
Ingredient #1....1 6-ounce piece of chunk bacon.
I only had regular old thick cut bacon strips.



You are suppose to cut the bacon chunk into 'lardons'. A lardon is similar in size to a big wooden matchstick.  So I cut my strips crosswise so that each piece had alternating layers of fat as well as meat.

You simmer these lardons for 10 minutes in 1.5 qts. of water.  Then drain and dry them.
And Preheat your oven to 450 degrees for later & make sure that you have a rack in the middle position in your oven.

After drying your pork product, you saute your lardons in a flameproof casserole(I used my enameled cast iron casserole) with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.


Remove to a dish with a slotted spoon amidst the Heavenly Smell......



The recipe called for 3lbs. of stewing beef, so I cut up my roast into small 1 inch chunks.



Pat your beef cubes dry.  The meat will not brown properly if it is damp.  You want a nice sear on the outside of your moo-cow cubes.



Turn up the heat on your casserole until it's almost smoking hot. Add your beef, a few pieces at a time to the hot pan and saute until nicely browned on all sides.  As it is done, add it to the dish with the lardons.  Repeat this until all the beef is browned.

Can't you just smell the bacon and beef fat in this photo?lol



In the same fat you just browned your beef, add your vegetables(1 carrot & 1 onion, sliced) and  brown them.  We like carrot A LOT so I used 2 or 3 carrots instead.
Then pour out the excess fat.  See the browned bits on the pan now? Mmmm....



Return the beef and bacon lardons to the casserole and toss the 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper on them.
Then sprinkle on the flour(2 Tbs.) and toss again to coat the beef.



Set uncovered casserole in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes.

Toss the meat again and return to the oven for 4 more minutes.  This browns your flour(so you don't have that uncooked floury taste)& hopefully puts a nice crust on your meat.
Mmmm crusty meat.....



Remove casserole and turn down oven to 325 degrees.
Stir in red wine(3 cups)& 2-3 cups of stock, just enough so that the meat is barely covered.

I had a bottle of wine sitting out in the garage from Christmas so I used that.  The amount of wine needed is almost a full bottle.  There should be enough left over for a small glass for drinking....go ahead and drink what is left while you finish up this recipe.  Julia would want you to!




 I didn't use beef stock, as I didn't have any.  I could have made do with some beef bouillion, but I had a quart of homemade vegetable stock in the freezer.  I had made this from the leftovers from a pan of roasted veggies last winter and the au jus pan drippings from the roast that had accompanied the roasted veggies. I just used the hand blender on it and voila!...instant veggie stock.


The recipe then called for adding the tomato paste(1 Tbs.), garlic, herbs and bacon rind.
I didn't have any bacon rind since I didn't use chunk bacon so I didn't add that.  I also didn't have any tomato paste.
Ok....that's a lie!  I DID have tomato paste....but I didn't want to open a whole can just for 1 stinking tablespoon.
So I did the unforgiveable.
I.
Used.
Ketchup.
EEEEEK!

I know, Julia is spinning in her grave.

I love a great meal but I am F-R-U-G-A-L.
Frugal wins out here over Gastronomy.

Bring to a simmer on top of the stove.
Then cover the casserole and set it in the lower third of oven.
Photo as the pot, before cover, went into the oven for the Long Hot Bake.



Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3-4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.


While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms.....
Heat 1.5 Tbs. butter with 1.5 Tbs. olive oil until bubbling.
Add 18-24 white pearl onions and saute over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling them so they brown as evenly as possible.
Ok....problem #??....I don't have any pearl onions.  And they are expensive this week here.
So we make do and sub regular onions, chopped uniformly.



Add 1/2 Cup of the stock, salt & pepper to taste and the herb bouquet.

Cover and simmer slowly for 40-50 minutes until the onions are perfectly tender but hold their shape, and the liquid has evaporated.
Using chopped onions cuts down on the time it take for them to get tender, so I didn't cook them as long as you would the pearl onions.
When done, remove the herb bouquet and set onions aside.

Wipe out the skillet and heat remaining olive oil and butter over high heat.  As soon as you see butter has begun to subside, indicating that it is hot enough, add mushrooms.
Toss and shake pan for 4-5 minutes.  As soon as they have begun to brown lightly, remove from heat.

No photo of the mushrooms, but the point here is to cook them quickly over high heat.  Sort of searing them like you did the beef cubes. The mushrooms will continue to cook after you remove them, with the residual heat they store up.  I put the mushrooms right in with the cooked onions to rest together.



When the meat is tender and done, the recipe calls for pouring the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a saucepan.  This is to separate the 'juice' from the solids, so you can boil down or 'reduce' the juices into a sauce and also skim off any excess fat.  I found that my juices in the pot had already reduced down to a thicker saucy consistency so I skipped this step.  And I didn't see much excess fat so I didn't skim it.  Besides, the fat is what makes it taste good.  And we are all going to die from something, so I'll take my chances with that miniscule amount of fat in my stew.

I went right to putting the components together to plate the dish.

You can make up a nice presentation on a platter on in the casserole, with your meat and the mushrooms/onions distributed evenly on top and then the sauce poured over it.  If you put this on a platter, serve on a bed of rice or with roasted potatoes surrounding the stew.
I chose to roast some potatoes and carrots in olive oil, parley, salt & cracked pepper to taste.



Doesn't that look good enough to eat??


The daughter couldn't keep the fork out of her mouth long enough to talk that evening or even say how good this tasted.

 
Pardon the messy kitchen behind her in the shot....

So, in the end.....

It took way longer than I want to spend on making dinner on a given day.
It wasn't difficult in skill level, it was just alot of steps and it took a looooong time.
It still was amazingly good, even with making substitutions like GASP!...ketchup!
It is Silly to be afraid of fancy pants recipes.  Unless it's the precision of pastry or baking, just dive in and give it a try.  Even most failures can be salvaged or made edible.

And after being forced to finish that bottle of wine, I now know why Julia always seemed happy in the kitchen. ;-)

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! I enjoyed reading how you made it; I'm almost inspired to try it myself, but, I have no wine, no stock, no onions or mushrooms.... :)

    I love the comment about the reason Julia was always happy in the kitchen! That cracked me up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice going! I used to love making dishes like this... I don't seem to have the patience much anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds fabu. I'm almost tempted to try it. *almost* xx,
    Hoolia

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.