Thursday, October 29, 2009

What Do You Do.....

...when it's less than a week until Halloween, you have 53 jars of  FREE peanut butter from Acme and still have 2 bags of Candy Corn(ok, "Autumn Mix")that was cheap from CVS and you are sick of eating it?

You make Candy Corn Fudge!

So I grabbed what looked like a quick and easy recipe from online and gave it a go.


Here's what you need.....


2 Tablespoons Butter + enough Butter to butter your pan
3 Cups Miniature Marshmallows
1 Cup Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
20 ounces Candy Corn(I had to bags totaling 18 ounces)
2 Cups Roasted Peanuts(I didn't add this)

Butter a 9x9 pan.  I only had a 9x13 pan available.




In a skillet over LOW heat, melt butter and marshmallows, until marshmallows melt.
(You can also do this in a Double Boiler.  It would probably turn out better in one.)

Stir it until your hand wants to fall off, or it looks like this....


Add the peanut butter.

Stir until it's mixed in.


Then add the powdered sugar....


Stir until smooth.

Then fold in candy corn and peanuts...


In my case, I overheated the marshmallows so once I added the peanut butter AND sugar, the mixture had tightened up a lot to the firmness of taffy!  Folding in became "using my hands and kneeding in the candy corn".  It's a good thing I wasn't putting peanuts in because they never would have folded in.lolol
And I had LESS candy corn than the recipe called for and it was waaaay too much for the amount of 'batter'.
At this point, once you have 'folded' in your candy corn and peanuts, you are suppose to POUR the mixture into your buttered pan.
'Pouring' became ' placing solid lump of fudge into the buttered pan and pressing it down flat and evenly into pan'. lolol  This was difficult to do, as the fudge was very HOT!  I'd suggest you wear rubber gloves.

Let the fudge cool, then cut and serve.

Here's my finished product....


The family says it's tasty though it doesn't seem very sweet to me...until you bite into some candy corn.lol

Next time I'll do this differently....
1. Turn off the heat once the marshmallows melt.  There should be enough residual heat in the mix to melt the peanut butter in.   My heat setting was low enough but it didn't need the continual heating once the marshmallows got to the melting point.  The heat tightened up the mix too much after that.
2.  Use more peanut butter and marshmallows to the amount of candy corn.  The ratio of mix to candy was off.
3. And make sure the peanut butter is chunky, not creamy.  The chunky thing is just a personal preference. 
4. Work quicker once the marshmallows melt.  Hard to do when following a recipe for the first time AND you have to stop every few minutes to take a photo for your blog. 8-))

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I think that it looks yummy! I bet that it won't last very long!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy!
    I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks interesting! I love that you used the Autumn Mix with pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love fudge. and candy corn. very cool recipe

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.