Monday, October 12, 2009

Meal Plan Monday....October 12th Edition Comfort Food for Cold Weather


Last Week's Menu Postmortem...

Everything was served as planned except we never got to the leftover Roasted Turkey or the Pork Chops.  #2 son had a sleepover so wasn't here for a meal and daughter didn't want dinner and had work so I will carry over the Chops to this week's menu.  The temperature here has dropped so I am in Cold Weather Cooking Mode!  If I get a day cleared out here, I plan on holding a Baking Day to fill the freezer with breads and muffins.

Here's what I will be serving our family of 4 this Week....it's a lot of comfort type filling foods & using up some leftovers and fresh local produce I picked up while selling my stockpile items at the flea market yesterday.

MONDAY--Turkey/Beef Burgers(freezer), Hot Dogs(freezer), Potato Salad(root cellar), Broccoli(local produce)
TUESDAY--Pork Chops(freezer) with Apricot Glaze, Mushroom Noodles(stockpile), Cauliflower(local produce)
WEDNESDAY--Turkey Enchiladas(using leftover turkey), Corn(freezer)
THURSDAY--Ham and Bean Soup(freezer/stockpile), Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
FRIDAY--Leftovers
SATURDAY--Brioche French Toast with Caramelized Bananas and Pecans(the weekly splurge!)
SUNDAY--Meatloaf stuffed with veggies(freezer), Mac&Cheese(stockpile), Peas
SNACKS/DESSERTS--fresh fruit, baked treats TBD(ie-What I feel like baking when the day arrives.lol)

The Potato Salad will use up some potatoes, the Enchiladas will use up the leftover roasted Turkey from last week, the Ham Soup with use up a Ham bone and a ham slice in the freezer, & the Meatloaf will use up some old grated zuke/squash/carrot once it's mixed into the meat mixture.


Be sure and check out the Ham and Bean Soup recipe link above.  I am NOT a fan of bean soups but with this one, even I want to lick the bowl clean!  It should be called the "Bean Soup for Bean Soup Haters" Soup.lol
The Brioche French Toast idea came from watching an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives last week.  The Dish, "Brioche French Toast with Caramelized Bananas and Pecans" was from a place Guy visited in Phoenix AZ.  Of course, I can't find that restaurant's recipe for this dish so I'll find a  similar recipe online & "wing it" with my less-than mad skillz. ;-)

Last week I spent $35.05($2.73 at Weis & $32.32 at the Grocery Outlet)on groceries.

This week's menu shopping list contains sliced cheese, lunchmeat for daughter, eggs and milk if I am going to attempt to bake brioche. I spent $17.25 at the flea market Sunday on fresh produce(red peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, a pie pumpkin & a gallon of cider). 1lb. of sliced cheese, bananas, some other fresh fruit, eggs and milk and stocking up on butter and flour(for the baking day) on sale this week should run me about $32 more.

Food Waste Report....a forgotten yellow squash from the garden "turned the corner" in the produce drawer and a helping of leftover spaghetti hit the garbage pail.

I attempted BEEF BOURGUIGNON a couple of weeks ago.  Go see my post HERE to see how it turned out.

Check out ORGANIZING JUNKIE to see what other Home Cooks are serving this week!

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, brioche french toast sounds yummy right about now!

    :)

    Great menu plan ya got there. Stop by and see mine over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.