Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Great Road Trip of 2017......Part Twenty Eight/Day Twenty

Part One of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Two of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Three of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Four of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Five of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Six of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Seven of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Eight of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Nine of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Ten of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Eleven of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twelve of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Thirteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE  
Part Fourteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE  
Part Fifteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE 
Part Sixteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Seventeen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE 
Part Eighteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Nineteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE 
Part Twenty of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty One of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty Two of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty Three of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty Four of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty Five of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty Six of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twenty Seven of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE

So spent the night in Pierre SD.

A yummy breakfast there-oatmeal, yogurt and bacon.



Sluggy looking bright and bushytailed in the morning?


Here is the room towel I used after I showered that morning.  Notice the thread bareness of that towel.  It was a disgrace to still have a towel in this condition in use rotation.

A little friend on the hood of the car when we went to leave.  Looking it up now it was a mayfly.  He/she was probably feeding off the raindrops on the car.


After gassing up(and I found some vape juices for my 2 kids who used vapes then on sale in that convenience store)we hit the road North to North Dakota.
Since it was early, near sunrise we saw this glowing sky as we left.  Notice the white layer in the sky closest to the ground?  I couldn't tell if it was fog burning off or smoke from wildfires.

Driving further along and it became clear that the glow and haze was caused by wildfires in the area.

Trying to find a radio station on the car radio and everything up here was Country Music.
Gee, I thought I was in the South driving out here. lol

Passing an old storefront of some kind out on the Plains north of Miller SD./


A lone tree out in a field.


Yet another field of Sunflowers......

Saw this water tower soon after..........


Signs heading back to Miller and toward other places.



Ahhhh....Now I get why all these fields of Sunflowers around here.  There is a sunflower receiving station nearby.

TThen we went through the little town of Redfield, South Dakota.


Lots of road construction in town.  I guess, given the Winters here all this road work needs to be done in the Summer.

The Redfield water tower.  Notice a piece of a pheasant painted on the left side of it.

We stopped at a gas/convenience store in Redfield and I found more of those Snicker bars with funny stuff on the wrappers......


This one is dedicated to Kim *snicker*




Some alcoholic libations.....peach ale.  Didn't sound very good at least to me.

They had a local message board in the store and we could have bought a purebred puppy by calling a number posted but we didn't.
I did see these interesting bandana/scarves that said, "Big Cock Country" on them.....I think the local high school sports teams are the fighting cocks.  At least I hope so! lolz

Spotted in town was this huge pheasant up on a pedestal, with lights for night illumination along side an American flag.  Redfield bills itself as the "Pheasant Capital of the Worrld" so yeah, it's fitting.


We bypassed all these towns on the sign ahead, moving to the East and then North again, hopscotching our way to North Dakota.
Passed by a field of identical red, rag top old American cars.  Sort of like the "Cadillac Range" down in Amarillo Texas, it looked like a public art installation........

Not long after passing that we saw the "Clark Ringtail Lodging" facility.  I guess folks out here go on Pheasant hunts as a regular thing and hunters stay in group lodgings like this one.


Nearby was the Clark County WWI war memorial.
We passed by a medium sized lake.....

Then hit the town of Henry SD, population 268 back in 2017.


Passed by a farming operation with a tractor on a short billboard advertising some companies farming equipment nearby.

The "big" intersection of Rte. 20 and 212 in Watertown SD.  Silos for days.........

We stopped in Watertown at a liquor store as Hubs likes to peruse regional selections in parts of the country we don't get to go to often and this was our first time in South Dakota

I found half a shelf of Boone's Farm(Sonya's go-to drink)here.

But "Mommy's Time Out" wine made me chuckle. Notice it's sitting next to a selection called, "Mad Housewife" too.  I like a good funny name on an alcoholic beverage. 8-)

And it was no surprise this liquor store had wines labeled Wild Bill and Calamity Jane either.

Along with Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota Rooster Rush and Sturgis branded wines.

Back in the car and 2 hours until our destination for the evening in North Dakota.

More signs about closed interstates in case we forgot about the horrid Winter storms in this part of the country.

And we finally hit North Dakota mid afternoon.


More later on our adventures in ND.




Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. Lol in the country music stations making you think you were in the South! Yup! I cannot get over the lack of trees but everything, well I guess it is the grass and the prairie… duh on me…. lol, is pretty and green and the lake looks lovely. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one lone tree made me sad. I wonder what a sunflower receiving station is exactly. I suppose we get sunflower seeds from this area. I never see liquor names except on your blog, and I am amused. I should cruise the liquor aisles in Publix, but I am afraid I would cause damage with the electric cart. This portion of the trip had few meal photos, and I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.