Saturday, September 30, 2023

Great Road Trip of 2017.....Part Eighteen/Day Fifteen

Part One of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Two of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Three of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Four of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Five of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Six of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Seven of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Eight of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Nine of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Ten of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Eleven of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Twelve of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Thirteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE  
Part Fourteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE  
Part Fifteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE 
Part Sixteen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE
Part Seventeen of the Great Western Road Trip is HERE

So the next morning after Kim made her overnight waffles, she and I headed out to shop.  
Hubs and Joel took the rental car and went out to do "guy stuff".

                                                 

We hit Big Lots where I picked up some of these candy cigarettes for my younger two kids who were still living at home.  Nostalgia set in on me.....Candy Cigarettes were a big deal back when I was a kid.



BL also had skeleton animals that made noises and their eyes lit up when you pushed a button.  Back in 2017 these were a new thing.  I took a quick video of a buzzard and some other critter going off but I guess I had deleted that over the ensuing years.

Kim wanted to show me "her" Rite-Aid.  She said it was small and never had anything. Hahaha


Well here's a photo of the outside of her R-A.  All I can say is that her's is waaaay bigger than the one in my old town, like 4 x the size of it!  Heck, they even sold alcohol and had some specials on such so I picked up a few items for my two kids who still lived at home(and were well over drinking age).

Then it was back home(after hitting the Mickey D's drive thru for Diet Coke for Kim).
Their cat was being useful.
Holding down the tablecloth on the dining room table and being all adorable.


Then I went wandering around Kim's yard.  I found her chicken coop.




I had a conversation with her chickens.....


There was this old sign near the coop I am guessing Joel picked up somewhere on his work.....


Then we were off to Washington state(just over the Snake river from Lewiston Idaho)because Kim had to pick up some stuff(including sewing supplies for her business).


So I was able to cross off another state on my list of the US states I'd never been to.


Going over the bridge we saw the Port of Clarkston WA sign.  A few years later we'd go back to Washington for a cruise.

Meanwhile Hubs and Joel went to a museum about Jack O'Connor.  He was a famous sports/hunting
writer for Sports Life Magazine.
HERE is info on the Center devoted to him and a bit about his life.



Then they went to the Spalding Site on the Nez Perce lands.  Info HERE.  Hubs sent me this photo.........

No clue what this was all about.

Back to exploring Kim's backyard........

She had an homage to me on the deck! lol

Then there was the garden that went on for days.  And being August the harvest was coming in fast and furiously.




She also had a small koi pond on the end of the deck.....

Here's some of the day's picking.  That zucchini must have been a good hider to avoid detection until it got THAT big! lolz

And then we made a quick trip to the Dance Studio.  Kim had sort of sold it to someone at this point but she was still having to go in and help this new owner out and she was also still building dance costumes for shows.  I know she loved her dance studio but it was a real drain on her(both financially and physically)at that point.
I waited in the car while she ran in to deal with something.


Then after we got back to the house, Hubs and Joel returned from their adventure too.  It was decided to go out for dinner.  We all loaded into the car along with Kim's mom and off we went....

Some mural art on walls near the river.........



Downtown we passed by a historic cabin in the square.  It is known as the Miranda Cabin and is said to be oldest surviving structure in Lewiston, Idaho.
Info HERE


Then we hit the favorite gourmet dining spot Kim loves.  Being my friend she only takes me to the best places.*snort*

"Effie Burgers"


I am shocked that this place was never showcased on that "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" show on the Food Network!
What do they serve?   Well the biggest damned hamburgers I've ever seen!  They also serve Chicken sandwiches, Chicken Strips and Finger Steaks.  Sides are French Fries in various configurations, Onion Ringer, Mushrooms and Chicken Gizzards.  That's it. They also served drinks as well since you'd really need one to wash these massive meat bombs down. ;-)


To get a table big enough(well we had two tables pushed together)the staff had to put us in the back room next to the pool table.  I'm glad nobody wanted to play pool while we were eating there since we'd have had pool sticks poking us.


Now I tried to warn Hubs about an "Effie Burger".  If you noticed they serve "half" burgers as well as full ones.  This is because nobody(except a competitive eater or a sumo wrestler)can actually eat a whole Effie Burger in one sitting.  Heck, a normal person could eat off of one of these for two days!!
So even after warning Hubs he ordered a whole Effie Burger with cheese for just himself.  No way he was going to share this thing with me!


See the scale of that behemoth??  It's bigger than a persons head!
I had to order a half a burger for myself(and couldn't finish it, even though I hadn't had lunch that day too).
Kim, Joel and her Mom got 1 burger and split it three ways and also got fries.


A little video I took.  Sorry for the poor quality but it was mighty dark in there.




Not being a big pickle of burgers kind of gal as I took the last bites I was able I left a pile of pickle chips as well as the last of the 1/2 a burger.


And this is what was left of Hubs whole burger.  Don't make me say I told you so! hehehe

A shot of the flattop grill in the kitchen on the way out.  Dang those patties are a s big as dinner plates!

Between the alcohol advertisements on the wall and under the neon signs was one for parents.....lol


Me posing with the Effie's sign.  I swear those burgers were MORE than 8 inches and 1 lb. of meat!

On the sidewalk outside one solitary French fry  tried to make a break for freedom.  Run, little buddy, run!

The usual suspects under the Effie Burgers sign outside as we left.  I don't know if Hubs was holding his hat there by accident or using it to keep from losing his dinner. lol

We spent the evening back on the deck talking with Kim, Joel and Kim's mom.  At some point Kim's little sister came over with goodies.....freebie leftovers her work was giving out at some event that weekend.

I had smoker envy when I saw this massive smoker living on the back deck next to the house.  Evidently this was a retirement gift for Joel from his coworkers.  I know that Kim doesn't care for smoke meats(well I didn't back then)so it had been sitting unused.  I tried but there was no way I could figure out how to smuggle that thing into our sedan car and cart it back across the country to PA. ;-)

As the evening wound down we headed inside.  Kim went into the fridge to retrieve a candy bar for her Mom's evening snack(yes, Kim comes by her sweet tooth honestly).  2017 was the year they were putting funny sayings/words on M&M/Mars products.


Hey!  That candy bar should have been MINE!!lololz

Off to bed after packing up, as we were heading out the next day on our return trip home.

Sluggy



2 comments:

  1. OMG the size of that burger!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??! lol You could feed a family of 5 on that burger.....

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.