Friday, September 1, 2023

Frugal Friday.....the September 1st Edition

Welcome to Frugal Friday!   

There are very few Frugal wins this past week but here goes......

*  I got out of jury duty......

That's because it was in Pennsylvania.  While they removed me from the voter rolls they still had my name in their system as being a resident.  Nope....not since last September.  I called them to let them know so I am not going to PA for jury duty.  If I hadn't contacted them I wonder if they would have gone to our old house looking for me. They would have been in for a big surprise there. lol
And why in heaven's name does the USPS forward a jury summons to someone with an out of state address change??

*  We used the very big gift certificate our kids chipped in on last year at a fancy pants restaurant here last Friday.  While we appreciate our kids kind gift the restaurant was a big disappointment.  Very pretentious and way overpriced.
I'd call a dish with 3 scallops on a "cake" of shredded zucchini with no seasoning terrible at $40.  Oh well, daughter picked it out but had never eaten there.  
Hubs with his glass of wine.  His dinner wasn't as big a disappointment as mine(because of the lack of edible food, but it was still not great).
And we won't be going back. At least we didn't pay much OOP for that abomination. ;-)
Tell me.....does this look like a $35 entrée?
We got this "Steak and Frites" order to go.
6 oz filet mignon, green peppercorn sauce, herb & sea salt frites
Firstly, the steak was overcooked(not MR)and barely 6 oz.
The "frites" were not handmade in the kitchen steak fries(as is traditional for this dish)but someone had gone to a grocery store and bought a bag of $3 Ore-Ida frozen fries, deep fried them and then dusted them with fresh parsley before sticking them into this small to-go box.  There was no salt of any kind to found on these fries.  This is what $35 will get you(no butter, no salad, no side dishes)at the Fat Calf Brassiere in Shreveport, LA.  Overpriced and pretentious(French words sprinkled throughout the menu).  Let's not mention that the Charcuterie Board looked like an 8 year old threw it together and that they call Happy Hour "Social Hour" instead and the drinks are still overpriced.
Remember to avoid this place if you are ever in Shreve.

*  Hit up Walmart on Wednesday and found a few deals after online coupons and Ibotta rebates.  Spent $64.41, got back $53.50.  $10.91 spent for everything. Nice.

*  Got a few deals at Kroger as well on Tuesday before the ads change..... .99¢ PB, 12 packs of Zero Sugar soda for $3.99, 2 packs of Angus beef hot dogs, Chicken Thighs for .99¢ lb., a 3 lb. pack of Ground Beef, and Zukes for .99¢ lb. were the highlights. $66.82 OOP and $59.70 saved between Ibotta, Shopmium and Kroger digital Qs. (All this shopping will carry forward onto September's tally.)

*  I found money! 

I actually drove myself to the store on Wednesday(big day...I haven't driven since December).  I found this shiny penny at Walmart as I was leaving.

Total Found in last Week.... .01¢
Total Found this Year.......$3.05

That's all for this past week.  Just sitting home is frugal, right?

Any frugal wins in your neck of the woods?  Let's hear all about them!

Sluggy  

7 comments:

  1. I won’t go to fancy restaurants bc I am always disappointed. I want huge servings so I can take home leftovers so I won’t have to cook… lol. I went to Aldi and bought sirloin steaks and ribeyes along with ground beef. The ground beef was $3.99 a lb and I think the sirloin was $6.99 lb. I bought my $1.80 sharp cheddar cheese there also. I went to Publix and bought for middle kid Gatorade on sale but cannot remember the price. I also got the buy two get two free of Diet Mt Dew 12 pack. That should last me a while… lolz. I then went to Walmart and got their regular Gatorade and Body Armour for their regular price but it was cheaper than the Publix on sale price. Kid drinks a lot of sports drinks. I just cannot remember the price now and I am too lazy to go dig up the receipts.. . I will have to pick up some stuff during month but no major stock-up. I have plenty of vegetables and fruit at the moment. I keep in stock spinach and either corn or potatoes for the kid. I also stocked up on Haagen-Dazs ice cream bars for him as well as hot dogs for his terminally ill dog. I dropped 4 grand at Mississippi State Veterinary Hospital in August trying to determine what was wrong with her and we got our unfortunate answer. He does understand she is stable now but won’t get better. He is autistic and she is his best friend. My August budget was shot again. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your son's dog. That's always hard and even more so I'd say to lose your best friend. 8-((

      Delete
  2. The big one this week is the electric bill. It’s the settle up month and we ended up with a $185 credit. They lowered the monthly amount to $50 for the next year. I haven’t used the dryer in over a year and we’ve used fans instead of air conditioning quite often.

    The other thing is paying $0 at Kroger one day. I only bought a few sale items and had enough cash back to cover the entire amount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a lot of bogo at Publix. I am posting it as we speak, so to speak. My best deal was a grab bag at another store. I swear I will photograph and get them on to my blog....one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I confess I love to go to really nice restaurants a few times a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that. I'd say avoid this one. lol

      Delete
  5. That $35 takeout is pretty bleak looking! How could anyone do that to a steak? As for the USPS, no one has ever accused them of being overrun with Mensa members.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.