Monday, September 11, 2023

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Turning 65 Sucks" Edition.....  


This turning 65 and going on Medicare stuff sucks.  That's all I am going to say about that. 8-P
And I can't even sooth myself by eating comfort foods.

This is day 92 of the "diet".  Yay!

My PCP is on board with this way of eating to reach a short term goal so no unsolicited advice on this eating plan please.  While I appreciate the concerns I am fine and I am losing weight.  I haven't had any sugar nor any white food(mostly).....bread, potatoes, rice, pasta since returning from the cruise on June 4th.  But I am holding fast to my plan anyway.....so far.  I am down an additional 37 lbs. since starting this eating plan(not counting the 8 lbs. I gained on the cruise and then dropped after coming home).

Onward to the meal planning!
This is what was planned for last week.......
1. Sunday--Lemon Pepper Chicken w/Zuke, Rice(or not for me)
2. Monday--yogurt cup, otherwise not sure, might go out
3. Tuesday--Grilled Salmon, CA Veggie mix
4  Wednesday--sm. cup of Chocolate Milk, Protein Drink
5. Thursday--yogurt cup, leftover Lemon Pepper Chicken w/Zuke
6.  Friday--yogurt cup, Caesar Salad(maybe some chicken on top)
7. Saturday--Lobster Ravioli w/Beurre Blanc, Brussel Sprouts

And here's what actually happened........
1. Sunday--Lemon Pepper Chicken w/Zuke, Rice(or not for me)
2. Monday--yogurt cup, a Garden Salad out
3. Tuesday--sm. cup of Chocolate Milk, Grilled Salmon, Brussels Sprouts
4  Wednesday--1/2 a Tuna Sub, Caesar Salad
5. Thursday--Yogurt cup w/Flaxseed, other 1/2 Tuna Sub, leftover Lemon Pepper Chicken w/Zuke
6.  Friday--Catfish, Green Beans, Cole Slaw, a Pimento Cheese and Veggie snack pack
7. Saturday--a Banana, a cup of Chocolate Milk, Steak, CA Veggie Medley

Most of the plan happened but not necessarily when it was planned to happen.  I made the Lemon Pepper Chicken, the Salmon and the Steak meals.  Hubs was responsible for his own dinners beyond those and any leftover meals.

No going back to old habits and eating patterns for me!

I also drink, water, iced tea(unsweetened), and the odd zero sugar soda or Zero sugar Powerade/Gatorade and keep my stomach full and it also keeps me hydrated.  I mostly stick with the water or unsweet iced teas with lemon added.

What got taken out of the freezer last week...
*  4 Chicken Thighs
*  2 pieces of Salmon
*  1 bag of Steaks
*  1 bag of CA Veggie Mix

What got put into the freezer last week....
*  1 piece of Salmon
*  4 Hamburger Patties(1.3 lbs.)
*  a bag of Burritos(Hubs)
*  4 Lean Cuisine meals
*  1 Spinach Soufflé
*  1 lb. Sea Scallops

Last week we spent $113.99 on grocery shopping.  
Total shopping comes to $245.22 for September.   
There are 20 shopping days left in September.

I've earned $80.75 on Ibotta in September.
I've earned $23.00 on Shopmium in September.
I've earned $0 on Coupons dotcom in September.
I've earned $1.00 on Alexa app in September.
I've earned $0.00 on Kroger Cash Back in September.
I've earned $0 on Checkout 51 in September.
I've earned 1,280 points from food shopping on Fetch in September.
I've earned 158 points from food shopping on Shop Kick in September.
I've earned 0 SB from food shopping on Swag Bucks in September.

That is $104.75 in rebates(not counting the Shop Kick/Swag Bucks/Fetch)on $245.22 of grocery spending so in reality it's $140.47 in food spending after the 6 rebate apps I count. 

My savings percentage for the last week was 46.63% and the monthly savings total for September comes in at 39.20% so far spent.  

Leftovers going into this week....1 small steak, 1 helping of CA medley veggies.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Lobster Ravioli in Beurre Blanc, Salad
2. Monday--cup of Choc. Milk, Salad, Pasta w/Mushroom & Meat Sauce
3. Tuesday--Yogurt cup, Roast Chicken, Carrots, Broccoli
4  Wednesday--Protein Shake, Grilled Salmon, Spinach Soufflé
5. Thursday--leftover BBQ Pork, Cole Slaw
6.  Friday--leftover Chicken meal
7. Saturday--leftover Pasta meal or ?

I'll cook the Ravioli, Chicken, Pasta Sauce and Salmon.  Hubs will eat and do his own thing on other days or have leftovers from those meals.  I've got baby carrots that are long in the tooth I need to use up so pair them with broccoli and serve with the roast chicken Tuesday.  5 of this week's meals will utilize proteins from the freezer.

I also drink, water(usually with lemon), iced tea(unsweetened), and the odd zero sugar soda or Zero sugar Powerade/Gatorade and keep my stomach full and it also keeps me hydrated.   I mostly stick with the water or unsweet iced teas with lemon added.

What do I need to buy to fix everything on this menu?  Cabbage or Shredded Cabbage for Slaw.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy  

10 comments:

  1. I made an InstantPot full of chili last night and plan to eat it all week. Dave can have it on a potato when he gets sick of it in a bowl.

    8 packs of Beyond burgers were on sale for $9.99 so I picked up four boxes for the basement freezer. I think they’re gross but Dave will happily eat one for lunch every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lobster ravioli sounds really good! I am not planning on anything really good because we stuffed ourselves this weekend. Gotta stop it, now! ___Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster ravioli was meh....the filling was a bit too salty but it beats what I was served at that restaurant on our anniversary and it didn't cost a fortune. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for it's not until January. I've been doing my due diligence as I approach 65...

      Delete
  4. Not only are we ( hubby Oct and me in Jan) looking at Medicare *not using advantage as we travel out of that limited area* but the part d we found for hubby for this year was a perfect fit (for a govt crap thing) Come 2024 it will be a nightmare AND our primary is looking at retiring (who is an hour away). Two of the best doctors here are also retiring and we haven't heard a thing good about most of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you have no or minimal health issues those Advantage plans make no sense to me. they lure you in with TV ads from has been celebrities with come-ons of promises of money for groceries, free gym memberships, etc. but at the core of it, these plans have large holes in them that cost you more money.
      Retiring (or relocating)trusted physicians is another big problem as we age. Not as many want the hassles by the government and the great financial burden of schooling to become a doctor any more. Sad.

      Delete
  5. My husband turned 65 in May and then I retired from teaching. It has been a pain to switch our plans as I'm not old enough for Medicare. Finally, we went to see a consultant. I'm hoping we received good advice.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.