Sunday, March 17, 2024

Erin Go Bragh!

 I've got Gaelic ancestry on both my family branches, more on the paternal side which is 75% Irish and 25% English.  One of my immigrant ancestors, a 3rd Great Grandfathers came over in 1852(thank you Great Potato Famines!-there were two not one)from Derry to New York state.  His wife's father(my 4 x Great Grand(from Derry to NYS as well) and his 2nd wife arrived in 1837(this is the one who moved West  repeatedly and ended up in Montana.

I have 2x Great Grandparents from Limerick, Maurice(pronounced Morris)O'Brien and Mary Ellen Roche who immigrated in 1880.  These are ancestors on my paternal grandfather's wife's side.

On my Grandfather's first wife's side, my Great Grandparents, Dennis Timothy McCarthy and Mary Kelleher arrived 1880 and 1904 respectively from County Cork making my paternal Grandmother a first generation American born.  Throw in some Healeys, Careys and Desmonds on that branch too going back to "the Old Country".

On my maternal side it's more of a mixture of English, French Huguenot, Scottish, Welch, but there is a smattering of Irish too.   I have a Moses O'Drisceoil, born 1689 in Ireland(place unknown)who immigrated to America before 1730.  His son, Daniel, was born in Virginia that year and dropped the "O'" from his surname  and Anglicized the name to Driskill at some point and he is one of my Patriot Ancestors who supplied troops in the Revolutionary War.  So yes, I come from a long line of troublemakers. ;-)


O'Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Oh how fun!
    I have one of those Patriot Ancestors too. Apparently mine donated two "beeves" for the troops. Have you joined DAR? I doubt if I will ever apply, but genealogy is fun, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could join DAR but I don't care to as it's a hassle trying to get your documents accepted and it cost money, and the membership is pricey. They say they are all about "service projects in your community" but I have yet to see them "do" anything here or help anyone. It's all a big show and it was founded(as was the SAR)around the turn of the 20th century as a reaction to mass immigration at that time and was a way to
      to make the "haves" feel superior to the "have nots". Besides, I am not a "joiner".
      But yes, genealogy is fun.......

      Delete
  2. Jre I am starting to get more interested in my family’s genealogy. For along time I knew more about my dad’s family of German….. My mom’s dad died when she was two and I’d heard he had English heritage but had not much else to go on but my sister did a DNA test and yes German, Eastern European, English and 7% Irish which peaked our interest (Had never heard of this tie before). Well a granddaughter did a research for school and wow. My great great…… grandfather was George Denison of Mystic Ct. His actual homestead is a current museum. He can over from England. Was wounded in a battle in England and married his Irish nurse. About two years ago I went the museum and sat with curator there while all of my lineage was reviewed and approved and then I could join the Denison family society? Ha! She also said in looking at who married who someone was from a Mayflower family and mentioned the DAR tie later in the lineage. It was very fascinating!! Who knew. The museum and all of the documents, furniture etc. was so cool. They have like a park and several celebrations on site throughout the year. Also Mystic was a beautiful town. I was staying in Boston (which I love) and just took the Amtrak there for the day. We want to take a family trip there someday but very difficult due to cost, distance and numbers. My son, the granddaughter who is still excited about this, his wife and their other 5 kids. I get the Denison museum newsletter a few times a year. Hoping to go back.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.