Sunday, July 30, 2023

Music for a Sunday

This song brings back many memories for me of my mother.  She was born in a log cabin and lived there in the piedmont of Southern Virginia, on the edge of the old plantation lands my great grandparents owned, until she was 6 years old.  

My maternal GreatGrands had 12 children(one of which was my maternal Grandmother)and as each child married they were gifted a piece of land that had been part of the Plantation once known as "Roxabel".  That is where my grandfather, Wirt, built this cabin after he and my grandmother, Lillian, were wed.  So you see my mother grew up in the Depression era and heard all the old country and bluegrass songs around her.


My mother standing on the porch of "her" humble log cabin at age 5.

The song ion this clip was one of mom's favorites.  She would sing it to each of my children as babies and then teach it to them as they became toddlers.  It was their special song betwixt them. At her funeral my children came up at the service and sang it one last time to her.  It's a precious memory for me.

I found this quartet a few years ago on the internet(YouTube)called "The Dead South".  They are described as a folk/bluegrass ensemble and hail from Canada.(Figures, a group of Canadians supplying the world with old Southern standards plus writing new ones. lol) 

Anyway, many of their songs and arrangements of said songs "spoke to my soul".  I've shared one or two of their songs on the blog in the past.

This one came up in my YouTube feed this morning and it's sweetness but grittiness in it's presentation touched me deeply.

I hope you enjoy it too. 8-)

I hope y'all each have a good day.

Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory! Thanks for sharing!
    I really enjoyed Dead South singing "You are my sunshine".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was brought home from the hospital to a hundred yr old cabin and lived there on our family land for the first year of my life. It burned when I was about 10. Love bluegrass since I am a true southern Appalachian hillbilly. Also like Sacred Harp music (shape note singing, like in the movie, Cold Mountain.) You can take the gal out of the country but ya can’t take the country out of the girl….Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. How precious for your children to sing their Grandma's song one last time for her.We have a lot of great talent up here in Canada !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like their style of singing and their music. The song has always been one of my favorites, one we sang in music classes in elementary school and sang as a child at home. That is a sweet memory you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for telling us about this group!! I'm born and bred, and still, a Virginia hillbilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. I alway like when a song is done in a minor key

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.