Friday, May 14, 2010

The Return of the Eating Machine....And Other Tales

Yes, #1 son has been home 6 days now.  And my food budget is beginning to feel the strain.

It's barely 1/2 way through the month and I have spent $142.50 on food for May.  While this isn't such a terrible number for 2 weeks and we really haven't been grocery shopping much at all this past week, we are making quite the dent in the freezer/stockpile.  And alot of what I spent the 1st week in May on groceries was in anticipation of #1's return home. 
We've spent $14.32 on food since Monday.  This was on milk and fresh produce.  But I've been making dinners #1 requested like Beef Stroganoff, Corned Beef and Cabbage, Clam Chowder from scratch with BLT's.  Tonight is the Fish Fry and Mother's Day DH made Fried Chicken and tomorrow it's Burgers and Dogs on the grill.  It's been one big Meat Parade around here lately.
Add in that #1 has been raiding the freezer each night for "Fourth Meal" so I wake up to a kitchen full of dirty dishes and pans each morning.
I think next week I tell him the Honeymoon is Over and show him the shelf of Ramen Noodles out in the garage....

So we've been eating down on lots of stuff here.
I might be taking a short trip next week so there won't be any stocking up for another week or so until I get back. 

I still haven't made it up to Rite-Aid this week.
Maybe later today since I need to go to the bank for change for the Flea Market.
Yes, the FM is a go this Sunday.  Sunday's forecast is warmish and partly sunny so I sitting here trying to figure out pricing for my items.  I want to be a tad more organized this year since last Oct.'s FM foray was just NUTS once it opened!  Not a moment for 2 solid hours to catch my breath.  If I can't get everything actually priced with a sticker, I need to get a sheet made up for DH so he isn't so clueless about the prices.
It will also take some of the stress off of me if he can tell people the prices.
After I finish this and rouse 'Sleeping Beauty' aka #1 son, I am off to the living room with marker in hand to go through the stack of boxes of goodies.

Have you done a stockpile sale lately?
How did you do?  And what were your prices??
Help! ;-)

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I've noticed that if our son comes over to do his laundry and I conveniently (or inconveniently from his perspective) don't have any of his favorite foods around, he doesn't eat me out of house and home - LOL! But this only works sporadically. If he were to live here again, I suspect my food bill would probably quadruple right off the bat. Good luck at the flea market sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am married to the "Eating Machine!" I look at other people's budget and figure their hubbies aren't eating nearly as much.

    Two areas where I expect to spend more than others: laundry detergent and food.

    Hopefully your eating machine doesn't have a daily schedule that involves lots of dirt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought back fond memories of my two eating machines and all of their friends when they lived at home! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck today on your flea market sale. I hope you make a ton of money!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.