Friday, January 12, 2024

Frugal Friday.....the January 12th Edition

There are a few Frugal wins these past couple of weeks so here goes....

*  Had the first doctor appointment on Medicare with my Medigap policy this past week.  I was all prepared to have to fork over a co-pay but asked the receptionist before I left and she said, "Nope, you don't have a co-pay."  Sweet!

*  Grocery shopping this past week for 2024....I already posted my Monday haul at Walmart.  
I'll say we were a little 'shop happy' this first full week of January--picking up all the deep discounted Christmas stuff and replenishing our pantry.  My weekly grocery total will be large on Monday's post. 8-(

Here are some additional items I bought at Kroger last Friday......
Splenda was BOGO and had a $2.50 Ibotta on each box so $4.99 for both. (I wish that insert coupon had come out BEFORE I did this deal as it would have been even less $$!)
The chocolate(and butterscotch)chips were in a shopping cart at the front of the store and were all marked $1.00 a bag!  I showed remarkable restraint by only bringing 4 bags home. 8-)

There was also shopping at Home Goods last week....

We have been in need of a TP holder in the Master Bath since moving here.  As my right shoulder has issues(and has for over a decade now)having the tp roll in use on the toilet tank lid behind the seat was getting to me so we sprang the $14.99 on this holder of Home Goods.
Found this 2 pack of dish drying mats also at Home Goods on clearance.  We needed this so it came home with us.  Hubs also picked up some clearance jams there for his morning toast.

*  And the best shopping news....seems our town finally got an Aldi!  Shreeeee!  Seems it's near the Ollie's on the other side of town and it opened the end of November and my daughter never told me!! tsk tsk  There will be shopping there in my future........8-)


Then we went nearby and hit up World Market for some Christmas clearance.  At 60% off I got that rainbow Xmas tree, 2 holiday packs of assorted peppercorns(this was cheaper than one of their regular bag sof peppercorns!), a package of Pistachio Nougat candy(from Italy), 2 containers of tea(3 London icon containers and a big tin commemorating Queen Elizabeth 2).  I also found these dark chocolate bars filled with creamy Guinness ganache(love me some Guinness!).


We also hit a Walmart on that side of town and found some nice clearance finds at 90% off!  I can't show you more than this photo since some of it is destined for Christmas gifties for family and friends for this coming Xmas. ;-)

* We hit the Bread Outlet this week while we were over there.  We were down to 2 slices of bread in the freezer so we brought 4 packs of bread items and resisted all the cakes, pies and donut type items they have. rah.  I'd much rather spend $1.60 per loaf than $4.49 per loaf which is the regular price for these items at Kroger.  I just wish they were an outlet for Arnold's bread items instead. oh well......


I hit up a discount grocery store on Thursday and scored a few markdowns--a can of tomato sauce for .50¢, a bottle of Kraft dressing and a bag of Cole Slaw mix(not pictured) both for $1.25 and 2 bags of doggy treats, each at $1.25(Great deal on the doggy treats as those go for lots more at SRP.  They had 5 shopping carts of marked downs but we didn't need any more Cheerios or Oatmeal packs and the rest were really smushed up canned goods or Holiday candies.

*  I had Hubs use my Kroger points to bring filling his car's gas tank up down by $1.00 per gallon.

*  I received this in the mail......

A new Ollie's discount card to use before Feb. 19th.  I'll be starting a list to use that before it expires.

*  I also received a refund from the office of that horrible dermatologist I saw back in August.  I don't recall if I explained that dreadful situation but the front office insisted I had a $50 copay before this dermatologist would see me, even though I did NOT have a co-pay with my then insurance.  I figured I'd not see this refund check until well after the first quarter of 2024, even after calling and explaining and then sending a letter with documentation to their billing department in December.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw that check arrive!
Now we get to jump through hoops on our end to get that refund put back into our HSA account which is still in a bank in PA. ugh.

I found Money!


On that moneymaker Walmart trip on Monday evening I found these 3 pennies as I was leaving the store, strewn past the checkout registers between them and the customer service desk.


The next day Hubs and I hit a different Walmart to check if they had any Christmas clearance left and to pick up one freebie.  I spied this Quarter as we approached the self-checkout machines.

* I also, at another store, spied a penny at a different self-checkout register but someone walked up to it before I could hobble over there and get it.  I told the gentleman about the bounty that lay under his machine so he could grab it before leaving his register.  Because I am nice like that sometimes. 8-)

Total Found in last Week.... .28¢
Grand Total Found this Year........28¢

That's all I got.

Any frugal wins in your neck of the woods?  Let's hear all about them!

Sluggy   

7 comments:

  1. Chocolate chips for $1 is my kind of buy. I would have bought more than four. I never overeat these, just have them with pecans for a snack, one chip for 1 half pecan. Of course, I might have gone crazy and eaten more if I had more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been making all of our bread and buns the last few months to use up a bunch of all purpose flour. It’s a few months past the best by date and I’m planning to switch to only whole wheat.

    The $.99 pineapple sale at Kroger lasted for a second week so I bought 16 total. The last two are on the counter and may be ripe enough today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a deal on the baking chips! Sounds like you did really good all week long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we use toilet plunger for toilet paper holder in Hubby's bathroom.I have a small cabinet by mine to use

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll trade you my spare change for that rainbow tree :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.