Thursday, January 18, 2024

UPDATE to the UPDATE of Yesterday(the Blizzard)

Well you just knew something else would go wrong, didn't you?

The other shoe dropped yesterday after we got electric power back when we lost water.
We are on a small town's water utility system and we lost water pressure and then by noon we lost all water, not even a drip.
It was suppose to be restored early this morning but the local updates now say sometime tomorrow with no indication of a time line.

Daughter said the local store was cleaned out of water yesterday.  I also saw everybody in Walmart when I went through at the butt crack of dawn on Sunday loading up carts full of cases of water.  I guess they knew something I didn't as a new resident here.


At least we can hide some of this mess in the dishwasher.........


So we haven't been  able to flush the toilets(TMI), wash dishes, bathe, etc. and I had to use some bottled water(thank goodness for my prepper pantry!)to brush my teeth last night.
It's a good thing I have almost no hair left too(as the little hair I have left is nasty dirty at this point)so I can just use one of my chemotherapy patient headwraps and cover it up when we go out later today.
**No, I am not a cancer patient I just look like one. ;-)
This would be a much better look for me if I could wear earrings but alas, I had cysts in my earlobes and can not. 8-(

Now the Municipal Big City Water System has been knocked off line too which tells me there will be mass hysteria soon if the water isn't back soon.  And me thinks, all the restaurants and fast food places will be doing box office business today(if they have water).
And I am thankful for a small supply of  fast food "sporks" we kept as well as TV dinners and paper plates we can throw away.

But it's not like any of this is delaying or cancelling any Mardi Gras Parades(of which there are many during MG Season-it's not just a day but a season here!


Some Roads are still closed as well as some medical facilities as well as all schools elementary through colleges.  Temps are suppose to rise into the 50's later today however so that's progress, I think?

I feel like I am living in Southern Hell sometimes.....and it's not even Summer, when actual Hell here happens.

Sluggy

16 comments:

  1. Ugh! I have never been without water and electricity at one time or even in near time periods. After we were not dependent on paper plates, it occurred to me we might need paper plates. So, I am ready. Maybe the city or county will bring in more water bottles for you. I have a bedside commode that I decided I would use with a bag in the pot so I could at least get rid of the poop. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can force a flush by pouring a two liter bottle of water in the bowl, you know. Any time we emptied a suitable container like a two liter bottle of soda, apple juice, or orange juice, we rinsed it, filled it with water, and stored it in the pantry, the cupboards under the sink, and in the garage. You shouldn't force it every time, and you want to be very sparing of paper, but we had a 1 toilet once a day rule for power outage. I learned early on in the land of windstorms that all the preparedness in the world is pointless if you do not store water.

      Delete
  2. Practical Parsimony here again.
    Sew some earrings onto the turban so you can wear earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a turban more of an infinity scarf deal so I can't sew earring onto it.

      Delete
    2. Clip on earrings might work. I only wear that kind.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sluggy, this is Chris. Did I miss something? I didn’t know you were on chemo. I am so sorry. I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added wording to indicate that no, I don't have cancer, but thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
    2. Chris again. I am so glad, Sluggy. I wore those kinds of hats when I had it. I was worried about you.

      Delete
  4. Hey shave that head and become a nun. I will join you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That meme which says something like “ I live in Louisiana where we are not equipped to deal with temperatures that are barely legal”…… same goes
    For the Sip (Mississippi) and Bama (Alabama)…. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jre I commented earlier asking about how your knee tolerated your trip (if you recall) as I was driving to Tampa from Mn). Well yippee guess who left on Tuesday and has been in driving weather HELL since then. I was forced to stop in Memphis last night in fact I forged on through for about 10 miles and turned back!! And glad to get into a hotel but then freezing rain in the morning. No cruise driving for me! And per Siri slightly shorter route would have been through Nashville but I thought that’d be too dicey (but couldn’t be worse than what I went through!?). Right now in hotel at Tallahassee. Thought I’d make it to Tampa but going 20 miles an hour and then sitting on the highway due to jack knifed semi got me at least 5 hours behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Grief! I didn't know you were going this past week....bad week to be heading South as it turned out. Take it easy and take care of yourself. Why did you have to do this again?

      Delete
    2. My granddaughter goes to USF Tampa (she’s from Mn!) and her car is shot, I have a loaner till May when this years done so I drove it down for her and am flying back Monday. I had been going to start Monday the 15 but the storm stopped me and I naively thought I could make my way south Tuesday between the two storms/cold front but found out there was no thaw/better midweek. So I’ve had my return flight for awhile. In hindsight I should have just scrapped it eaten the cost (couldn’t transfer dates) and gotten a ticket for late next week but I wanted her to have a car. I started on my 70 birthday ha! And it maybe added 10 years on me. Can’t describe how terrible it was. But I’m visiting her now, another part is another son/wife and their 6 kids flew here last week for 7 days and we’ve been able to all spend time together. Priceless but of course they’re here in the coldest Florida weather although Friday on the beach was fairly decent. Well it’s been something! I tell you between the trip here and the Tampa/beaches traffic I can’t wait to get home to my smallish town. It’s not that bad after all.

      Delete
  7. Hope you get your water back today. It is easier to go without electricity than water. After the derecho in 2012, we were without electricity and water for 11 days.
    Ugh on that headwrap. My kids were 3 & 5 when I was going thru treatments. I wore hats esp a baseball type cap a lot, and my 3 year old son wore a baseball cap All the time too, like Mommy. Brings tears to my eyes even now, and I'm so thankful that I was able to see them grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy! No electricity is one thing, but I don't think I can live without water. I knew you'd have some water stockpiled ;) Hope you 'lectric and water is restored by now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds awful. Hope you get running water again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.