Monday, April 20, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

The "How Not to Wear a Mask" Edition................


With this Pandemic there was a strict protocol when Hubs went to get his eye shot.  He got this nifty face mask to wear.  Here he is demonstrating how NOT to wear your mask. lolz

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-

This is what was planned for last week.......
1. Sunday--Cheese Lasagna, Salad, Garlic Bread
2. Monday--single serve Devour frozen dinners or Potatoes au Gratin and Roasted Carrots
3. Tuesday--Cheeseburgers on buns, sweet potato fries
4. Wednesday--Sweet and Sour Chicken w/Broccoli
5. Thursday--Leftovers or FFY
6. Friday--Fajitas
7. Saturday--Leftovers or FFY

And this is what actually happened--
1. Sunday--Cheese Lasagna, Salad, Garlic Bread
2. Monday--single serve Devour frozen dinners
3. Tuesday--Cheeseburgers on buns, sweet potato fries
4. Wednesday--Leftovers(I had strawberries, we got subs for lunch)
5. Thursday--Homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken w/ Broccoli, Rice
6. Friday--Corn on the Cob and whatever leftovers you wanted(I just had corn)
7. Saturday--Take-Out Chinese(I got Mu Shu Chicken)

Last week saw 4-5 nights of home cooked dinners(1 was tv dinners tho),  1-2 nights of leftovers/FFY, and 1 night of Take-Out(plus 1 Take-Out for lunch).

What got put into the freezer last week....
* Scallions(I chopped and froze a restaurant sized bag)
* 4 lbs. Shredded Mozzarella
* 4 lb. bag Oriental Blend Veg
* large bag of Peach Slices
* 2 lb. bag of Shrimp
* a piece of the Lasagna I made

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* 1 pack of chicken breast
* 4 hamburger patties
* 3 frozen dinners
* 1 bag of mozzarella
* 1 box of garlic bread
* 1 bag of broccoli
* 1 partial pack of sea legs
* 1 lb. shrimp

1 trip each to P and R Discount Outlet and Maines restaurant supply had me spending $131.49 this past week and brings my April Total spending on food so far to $219.49.
Being a restaurant supply I knew I'd be able to find some things there I couldn't have Hubs get at Weis(flour, cheese, some veggies)but also being a restaurant supply I spent more because the containers were larger(10 lb. flour, 5 lb. cheese, etc.).  This just means I won't be needing some items for quite awhile.  I didn't overbuy but in the back of my head was the thought "get it now and get a lot so you don't have to go to the store for a longer time".
I hit P and R first and what was cheaper there I got there before hitting Maines.   I also got some deals at P and R....like 3 of Ex-CB's fav coffee, a box of Panko, 2 boxes of off brand Twinkies(a yellow one and chocolate one)since you never know when Hubs or Ex-CB will have a Twinkie emergency(I don't eat that stuff)and a bottle of yellow mustard because we were on our last one and I just realized it.....eek!

This having Hubs shop for me at Weis is not working out very well.  My list and instructions have to be so detailed and he just doesn't have the "shopping intuition" or ability to think on his feet if A is out, get B.
If I wrote EVERYTHING/EVERY POSSIBLE SCENARIO out for for him it would take me days to make a list. And god forbid he actually CALL or TEXT me on his phone if there is a problem......

Thank god that when I die he'll be happy just eating pasta and jarred sauce every single day plus nuking a bag of frozen peas to throw into the mess.
I am thankful that he did end up getting the correct free ham at Weis though.  I had my doubts he would but that worked out ok.

I don't worry so much about going to the small stores I've been to during this as they aren't as crowded as a major grocery chain like Weis and I wear a mask, a glove and my container of Lysol wipes to wipe down any surface I come in contact with.

I am still at $6.20 earned  in Ibotta rebates in April.  Nothing earned this week on Ibotta since Maines and P and R don't qualify as stores they recognize. 8-(

My savings percentage last week was 42.16%(without Rite-Aid trips)and April's monthly savings total comes in at 39.04% so far(w/out R-A).  

I have 10 more food shopping/spending days in April.

Leftovers going into this week.....Rice, 1 helping of Pork Salt Lick Teriyaki Stir-Fry, Green Beans, Chicken Marsala(1 helping), 2 ears of Corn, Lasagna, Sweet and Sour Chicken, more Rice, Leftover Chinese Take-Out, Sizzling Rice Soup(I made not take-out).
The rest of the Lasagna will get thrown into the freezer and the rest will be lunch fodder

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Steak, Baked Potatoes, leftover assorted Veg
2. Monday--Chicken Fajitas
3. Tuesday--Pierogies, Sautéd Cabbage
4. Wednesday--Broiled Flounder, Au Gratin Potatoes, leftover Veg or Tossed Salad
5. Thursday--Leftovers or FFY
6. Friday--Meatloaf, Yellow Squash Casserole
7. Saturday--Leftovers or FFY

What needs buying for this menu?
I'm feeling the need for salad greens so that needs to be procured but otherwise nothing pressing.
The Weis(PMITA)Markets sales ad is two whole pages long this week.  There is nothing on sale really so not worth bothering unless we run out of something that's crucial(which we won't except maybe milk).

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. When I rode my bike to the store when I was 8-yrs old, my mother made lists like that--ounces in can, color of can, price, and contingency plan. Tommy knows not to willfully sub if the can/item I want is there. But, he has not been tasked with getting anything for over a month and very seldom before that. He might lose patience and bring home anything if left to his own devices for long. There would be snacks, too many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending my husband to the store doesn't work well either. Spur of the moment he went to the grocery store the other night - to buy clamato and a chocolate cheesecake. He wanted to buy me a treat. I was pissed. He doesn't get the "don't go in the store" thing. And he didn't wear the mask. I was livid. I think he gets it now but then he said I totally missed the point of him buying the bloody cake. He is rebelling, hitting a self isolation wall and IT AINT PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, Kay and I actually got into an argument about who gets Dan should you meet your demise, I told her "I saw him first"

    ReplyDelete
  4. No deals to be had at my usual Kroger so made the trek to Aldi. They had limits on just about everything so we used two carts for separate orders.

    I made a huge pot of vegetable dumpling soup last night which should last all week. Second big meal will involve mushrooms - either pasta or calzones. Pasta is easier so I’ll probably go with that.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not finding food deals here and am paying extra for instacart deliveries. I am still being so careful since I still have to go to Mom's everyday, and I really do not want to be around anyone. Of course TheHub is still going to work daily so I am exposed exponentially to everyone he is around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just by planning, even if we go off menu, I'm making sure either through fend for ourselves leftover lunches or dinners, we are using all food in the refrigerator before it goes bad and not wasting. We all just really wanted pizza-not helathy pizza, but with grease and gooy cheese, so ordered what we each wanted, but then combined leftovers to have a full pizza leftover, plus a few extra slices. I wrapped it all well, and will reheat Wednesday, so two take out meals but only one stop.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.