Sunday, April 5, 2020

Trying to Remain Calm By Escaping Reality

Sorry if taking my blog offline for awhile gave anyone a panic attack.  I didn't mean to do so.
It's nice to know a few folks noticed though. lolz
Believe me if I ever take this blog private I'll let everyone know in plenty of time so y'all can sign up.

I was just doing some maintenance on the ol' blog and I really needed some time to get away from being online too.

I've been on edge--between RL stuff, being cooped up with Hubs and not feeling great(I've been so jittery and my hands are shaking like a whore in church).  I probably need my Vitamin D checked again to see if it's too low again, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I've got some Cymbalta left from when I was on it a year or so ago when I was having a rough patch with depression that I was all set to dispose of.  I am thinking I may want to go back on it short term instead. ;-)

Trying to stay away from the news as much as possible helps.

Today is Hubs birthday too which is making me nervous.  He just expects so much on his birthday(gifts, attention, etc.)and I keep waiting for him to explode because his birthday isn't living up to his expectations.  Plus we can't go out for his birthday dinner so he's grumbling. 

He wouldn't go get himself a cake at the Weis bakery so I'm having to dig through my stash and see what cake mix I have plus I'm cooking Easter dinner today instead of next Sunday.

Between cooking, I'm watching some lighthearted musicals from the 50's/60's, specifically one called "Bells are Ringing".  They made it into a movie starring Judy Holliday and Dean Martin in 1960.

This show has always held a special place in my heart as I was in a production of it in Summer Stock back in 1979.  I was a chorus member who had a one word solo in the number "Simple Little System".

I was the gal you sang, "Rockinghaaaaaam" in this number...........


Incidentally the Bookie, Sandor, and President of Titanic Records in the film was played by Eddie Foy, Jr., the son of the famous vaudevillian Eddie Foy.  There was a movie made called "The Seven Little Foys" starring Bob Hope as Eddie Foy, Sr. back in 1955. 

This is a fun number too called "Drop That Name".........




The tune below is called "Hello Hello There! In the musical it takes place in a subway car, in the film they moved it to people waiting for the crossing sign to change in a NYC street corner and essentially took out the singing.
In the production I was in, I played a bag lady in this subway scene. The music gets faster and more frenetic as the number goes along and the bag lady ends up humping a young gay man on the subway car seat by the end of the number.  lolz



I was also one of SuesAnswerphone's customers, an opera singer name Madame Grimaldi in that production who is heard but never seen.

Here's a Judy Holliday Tour de Force that was dropped from the film(but in the show)but this clip of it survived and lives on.......



 And this one of my favorite's called "Salzburg".  Sue of SuesAnswerphone company is in love with the Bookie Sandor(who runs "Titantic Records")and needs money.  Jean Stapleton(of "All in the Family" fame-Edith Bunker)originated that role but I couldn't find a clip of her from the film version.  Stapleton had a wide range from drama to comedy and had a set of pipes too in real life.



 And one of the popular hits of the time was in this show.........



I hope everyone is having a good day. 
Wash your hands and stay safe!


Sluggy

19 comments:

  1. So glad everything is good. I was worried that I may have been blocked and I couldn't think what I had done wrong..such a dummy I am!

    You are not alone...I am stressed too...there are lots of us in the same boat! But I did get a good chuckle with "shaking like a whore in church"...I got a visual. lol.

    Happy Birthday to your hubby and tell him to relax! When this is all over, he can do his birthday up nice! I had a birthday in the middle of March, just when the shit started hitting the fan...won't never forget this birthday for sure!

    Take deep breaths, think good thoughts, and watch Andy of Mayberry on the oldies channel...such simpler times with Aunt Bee and Opie and Gomer and Barney...and no coronavirus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! I think moving up Easter dinner for his birthday was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Glad to see all is ok and you are back! I really enjoy your blog and the blogs on your sidebar.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good! you are here. I hoped it was not anything bad. Yes, I was panicking. Nothing is the same for much of anyone, so maybe hubs can be persuaded of this. I will listen to all you left when Tommy is not watching a murder show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you know your husband needs to realize this isn't normal right now. My son turned 23 last week and all he got was some homemade cookies till this is over and we can have a family get together. There is a lot of stress and anxiety and for me not watching the national evening news has helped me. Feel better Sluggy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell hubby there will be other birthdays.
    "Come celebrate with me every day something has tried to kill me and has failed" - L. Clifton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about that. Sorry you are down and so am I. Hubs has f'd up the computer and now I can't log into blogger. IT wont allow me to get into my blog. It did this once before and I was able to figure it out but this time it won't let me even sign in. It does not recognize my email. Crap, crap and double crap. Tell Dan happy birthday from us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are OK. Hang in there..it's such an uncertain time for all of us and I think we all feel off balance but we will get through this.. one day at a time.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so happy when I clicked on your blog and you were there. ❤
    I totally understand the feeling of just being off. I made the decision to take an unpaid leave from my job at a pharmacy due to being high risk. I am having enough worry with 2 children in healthcare field. One works the ER department and the other in the ICU.
    Take care of yourself and know we are all thinking of you.❤
    Susan R

    ReplyDelete
  10. whatever helps is good, I've been watching old comedies, crotcheting & sewing. I find I can't concentrate on any one thing for too long and I'm just checking the news briefly in the morning & evening. hope you and yours are all keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that movie, and have been known to answer my personal phone with "Suesansawerphone" People never know what to say next and most hang up which is not a bad thing.
    I am sorry you are feeling on edge. I think everyone is and none of us have any idea which end is up.
    Happy Birthday Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are all doing what we can to escape reality. I'm watching a lot of TV, (Outlander, Genius: Albert Einstein, and 12 Monkeys, my fave sci fi series), alternating with working outside in the yard. I'm not very good at planning birthday festivities even under the best of circumstances. lol. I myself would be happy if someone made me a cup of coffee and a sammich. :-) Hang in there my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m so glad you’re ok (relatively speaking).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I've been immersed into TV even more so than usual to escape/cope. Lots of murder mystery and unusual for me old movie channel. I just watched The Last Picture Show. Wow, what a desolate town. In watching movies about the 30's and 40's, how tough times were I don't know why but it let's me think people get through tough times. Plus watching funny shows laughing out loud several times a day. Arthur on King of Queens is hilarious. Not good to go to the dark side all day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big hugs to you. This is such a hard time right now. Here's hoping you feel better. One idea for the stress - have you ever tried meditating? Or, as I describe it for my sister, who doesn't really get the concept...how about sitting alone in a quiet, dark room for five minutes & doing some deep breathing? I find that even that helps me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your dh. So glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you didn't make it private. I think anything, including antidepressents or sleeping pills is ok to get through this. Life is not normal now nor is how we should deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry you feel so jittery. I had low Vitamin D. I take a multi-vitamin every day and two that are just Vitamin D. That has helped a lot. I don't mind saying that I take an antidepressant and medication to help kill my anxiety. It deserves to be dead and gone. Hubby needs to shut his cake hole.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.