Thursday, April 30, 2020

Food Spending Report........the April Edition

Onward to April's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for APRIL 2020.

I have posted April's totals on the Total Grocery Savings Page located HERE and have updated the Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in April.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 4(3 at home this month). No "kids" under 24.
*****************

MAINES
OOP  $100.79
Value  $153.30
Savings   34.25%

MALACARI'S
OOP  $73.64
Value  $113.70
Savings 35.23%

OCEAN STATE JOB LOT
OOP  $33.63%
Value  $49.09
Savings  31.49%

PandR DISCOUNTS
OOP $30.70
Value  $74.02
Savings  58.52% 

RITE-AID
OOP  $0.00
Qs/Ads/BC/GCard  $105.94
Value  $105.94
Savings  100%

WEIS
OOP  $47.48
Qs/Ads  $25.38
Value  $72.86
Savings  34.83%


*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 100%, P and R Discounts at 58.52% and Malacari's at 35.23%.   My worst savings rate was at OSJL with 31.49%.
I shopped at 6 different stores in April.

TOTAL Spent........................................$297.45
TOTAL Coupons/Store Sales................$194.95
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased........$492.40
TOTAL Savings of ................................39.59%

TOTAL Out of Pocket for April w/R-A........$297.45
TOTAL Coupons/Store Sales w/R-A....................$300.89
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased w/Rite-Aid....$598.34
TOTAL Savings with Rite-Aid items.....................50.29%

This closes out the April food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into April not knowing what to expect on the food/toiletries spending front.  Having to send Hubs to Weis(PMITA)Markets and the lack of sales there in April I knew we'd spend more on items and we did. I went to smaller stores(the produce market and restaurant supply store)and saved about what I usually save buying items there(which is better than I can do on those items at grocery stores.
By using some stockpile items instead of relying on the stores I was still able to stay way under budget($102.55 under)but the stockpile has taken a hit.  Regular grocery store prices(from my look around on Wednesday-my first foray out into one in 5 weeks)seem to have risen significantly for me to notice.  Is this the new normal in pricing and for how long?
This unknown means we all need to watch closely what we spend on food, budget better where we can and to make sure we eat our leftovers and not throw food away!

The monthly food spending savings percentage went DOWN by 19.17% in April 2020 to 50.29% compared to the March 2019 rate of 69.46% savings average.

With 4 months accounted for, I have spent a Year-To-Date Total of $1209.62 on food/toiletries in 2019.


2019 Yearly Grand Total Spent....................$1209.62
2019 Yearly Grand Total Value of Items.....$3756.74
2019 Grand Total Saved...............................$2547.12
2019 Yearly Savings Total............67.80%

The average per month amount spent is $302.41 in 2020 which went down a couple of dollars.

LOOKING AHEAD To May 2020.............
Who the F&*k knows!
The stockpile/pantry is looking a tad ragged and thin after April.

I don't even want to hazard a guess.....do you? lolz


If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in April?

*  Do you track your yearly food spending?

*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?

*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to look back over CC and receipts to see what we actually spent in April. I think it will be near $600, or 50% more than usual. Mostly due to not shopping at Aldi where I find I spend 30% less on average. I also had my daughter pick up a few "treats" when she was in Trader Joe's as she had a shoot nearby, not a special trip. considering other than one take out pizza, and three people 2-3 meals a day, I'm not balking a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended at $689.12 - on a budget of $525. That budget was made prior to Covid. We ate out 1 takeout meal in the entire month. We also took several meals to Mom's house. That includes all household cleaners etc but not OTCs. I am already 1 month over my annual budget at the end of 4 months in but that is due to stocking up. Yesterday after repeatedly hearing that we may have meat shortages I saw my usuall 4 kg box of chicken breasts were on sale $5 off. Sales seem very few and far between so I bought it and crammed it into my already full freezer. Other than that I am pretty good for groceries. And for stocking up. May (*I am hoping) will just be maintaining things, no more stocking up. Some things definitely are more expensive, others about the same. It will pay to have a garden this year though. Even if it is to help others out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we have spent more, becasue things are higher and I am not being as careful and I am bored and just buy what is there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've spent way less because I've sheltered alone in place. Single/widow going on my sixth week. So different as I live near my kids and 12 grandkids who I watched on a weekly basis plus and I do at least weekly get together meals. :(. Our meals together, immediate family numbers 21, lots of food! Trying to figure out safe contact. I have two daughters who are RN's, and one family with 6 kids had 5 kids and one parent diagnosed with pneumonia last week! Think they've had it at least three weeks but kept passing it around and people don't want to go into the clinics. They went through a drive through tent in the parking lot for all 8 lab works last Friday. I have 4 kids with two having six kids each. But what I have learned is yes money and budgeting is important as is paying off debt and staying on track but I'd rather be spending more money on groceries, that really what's important is family, friends, generosity, kindness, yes I'll still look for a bargain and stock up but my priorities have shifted. And yes I do realize how lucky I am when I see people lined up for miles for food relief.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.