Friday, May 1, 2020

Frugal Friday.....the May 1st Edition

Well I did go out this week grocery shopping on Wednesday to Weis(PMITA)Markets and then to Rite-Aid, then after I posted my food spending totals on Thursday we went out to PandR discounts and Maines the restaurant supply store(so I'll put those 2 shops into May's total).

So let's see what was frugal(or approaching frugal)this past week..........

*  I went to Weis this week after 5 weeks of avoiding it like the plague(pun intended).  Here are the best deals I got there........

The OEP items were "Buy 4 boxed or canned items/Get a free bag of cheese". The 4 items were $5 total so $5 for all 5 items.  The cheese is almost $3 a bag here if bought alone so I'm ok with this deals.
The organic Francesco Rinald sauce was on clearance $1.50 per jar.  I redeemed a .50¢/2 Ibotta rebate so 2 jars cost me $2.50 total.
I had a coupon for .75¢/1 Domino golden sugar that doubled to $1.50 off so it cost $1.19 OOP.
I bought lots more including 5 tv dinners and a bag of croutons which were part of a Mix and Match Buy/Get $3 Back Deal.  I got a piece of Salmon(it was $1 more per lb. than last month), my Stress Rx tea was on sale 2/$5, 2 lbs. of butter for $2.50 each, etc.

*  I finished my Allegra SavingStar Deal at Rite-Aid this week..........


Earned $21 between Ibotta and SavingStar and paid with BC so Zero OOP on this.

*   I found money!

Rite-Aid was a jackpot for me this week!


This penny was found in the parking lot, worse for the wear but still spendable.


These 3 pennies where found by the  registers.


And this slightly out of focus dime was found in the greeting card aisle(which I detoured down to avoid other customers).  Lucky me!

Found Money This Week...... .14¢
Found Money This Year so far....$45.05

I also found this penny..............


I thought it was a fifth penny for the day but when I dug it out from behind the floor mat it was one of those souvenir "squashed" pennies.  This one is from Ohio and has the state bird, a cardinal, on it.

I laughed at this because I sort of collect these!


Here's the one I "squashed" from Buc-ee's in Alabama Lorraine took us to in January.


Here's the one from the amusement park we took eldest and his GF to last Summer-that's the ride we all went on.


Here's the Mad Elf penny from when Hubs and I went to Troegs Brewing last Spring after my medical appointment at Hershey Medical.


And here's the penny I squashed when we went to see "Carhenge" in the Summer of 2017.
(This reminds me I STILL have to recount our 2017 Summer Road Trip for the blog.)

*  I found a few deals yesterday at the restaurant supply store and the discount food store.......


Liquid whole eggs for .50¢ a quart and 4.5 lbs. of sour cream for $3.99 at the restaurant supply.
The asparagus was $1.29 at the discounters.  Now I have to find containers to put the sour cream in and ways to use it up! lol


We went to the restaurant supply to see if they had any more of those small steaks I got earlier in April.  Something they called "Coulotte" Sirloin steaks........


They had 3 packages left so I bought them all as these are the most tender steaks we've ever had.  The price wasn't bad either at $5.99 lb.
I've repackaged them and we have 4 meals for the 3 of us out of this buy.  I also had 1 small piece left I can make a steak sandwich out of for a lunch for myself. ;-)


I found a loaf of PF oatmeal bread at the food discounters for $1.29.  My discount bread store is still closed so after this is gone I am going to have to pay full price at the grocery store for bread. *sob*

*  I earned $6.50 in Ibotta this week.(2 x $2 Allegra at R-A and .50¢ at Weis(PMITA)Markets.

*  I got a freebie at the food discounters.............


3 bags of Garden of Eatin' grain-free tortilla chips.  Only 2 are pictured because Hubs opened/ate most of the third bag before I got around to taking this photo this morning.

The store was giving these out to anyone who bought anything in the store.  The cashier said we could have as many as we wanted because they had pallets of it in the back(and the sell by date was past).  They aren't bad(aren't good either)but will be nice with a dip like hummus. ;-)

*  There has been no take-out this week so far.  We tried on Thursday to use a gift card and get take-out at Applebee's(they make a good Asian salad w/chicken)but we decided against it finally and just came home and had leftover Shrimp Scampi.
I think there will be some Chinese take-out this weekend however(if I have anything to do about it-and I will! lol).

That's about it from here.................


What wins did y'all have this week?


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I love sour cream in baking like coffee cakes, so you could use as much fresh as reasonable, and then freeze in recipe portions as I would think that would work just as well in baked goods. I love sour cream for chili, tacos, as dips, strogonoffs, extra rich gravy, mashed potatoes, cheese hashborwn potatoes, au gratin vegetables-I am very envious of that buy as sour cream is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good!

    Wendy Payne

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5 off my box of normally $35 4kg skinless boneless chicken breast...that was pretty much it. Stores here aren't taking coupons. I guess I am just going to have to be super careful what groceries I buy from here on out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frugal is a relative term. I bought 17.5 pounds of pork butt at the cheapest price I ever see it here, which means I had to smoke and process it. Though it was a bargain, it did take a lot of time to do it.
    I also found a gallon of milk for a buck, and 10 pounds of bargain chicken quarters. (again financial savings but a time drainer)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loaded cauliflower: 2# chopped florets (i use frozen-super cheap), 1 pint sour cream, 1-2c shredded cheese (I use a mix), a few chopped green onions and some crispy chopped bacon bits. Bake 400 for 30 minutes. 9x13 pan. It lasts just fine in the fridge for the week. Great with eggs for breakfast or as the veggie with dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.