Sunday, April 12, 2020

Happy Weekend, Easter, Passover, Etc.

I hope you are having the best sort of Holiday or Weekend you can considering the current state of the world.

At Chez Sluggy it's a low key day here today.  No relatives eating up my yummy Easter dinner this year because we had it last Sunday and well......social distancing!

There will be salad, lasagna and key lime pie here today.

Chester and I have walked the yard three times already and picked up enough sticks/branches from the trees to do a little fire in the pit later.

I'll lift my weights later too.  Who says I don't get any exercise?

Speaking of Chester his birthday was Friday and he turned 3.


This photo is from February with both of them in it.  The only time I can get a photo of Dixie is when she is sleeping, otherwise it's a blurry partial because if she is awake, she is a perpetual motion machine. lol


I still love this one of Chester with his head in the yogurt container trying to lick it clean.

Here's a photo of the granddog sleeping.........


Daughter and Hubby moved into their own house beginning of March before all hell broke loose.
Both were still reporting to work and Cinnamon was left alone for the first time ever. 
Before someone was home with her or she had 10 cats for company at one time if no hoomans.

Well she didn't do well.  Daughter sent me video from the nanny cam they set up and Cinnamon would pace back and forth and howl, even if they left music or the tv on for her.  Daughter was coming home for lunch each day so the dog was only left alone at most 4 hours at a stretch but was still doing her business in the house and agitated

Last week Daughter's hubby, J, was told to work from home so now Cinnamon is one happy pup again!

Today's musical interludes are as follows........

One of my favorites, Christopher Walken from the 1981 film "Pennies from Heaven".
He is a marvelous dancer.



This film never got the attention and laurels it deserved back in the day.

Another number, the title number, "Pennies from Heaven" was wonderful, even taken out of context of the show.  The dancer is Vernel Bagneris who is also a playwright and author, a real Renaissance Artist.

Vernel had a full career in the arts but I don't think he ever get his due either.
And notice Vernel's derriere in this clip.....IMHO he had a fine dancer's butt.... ;-)



And speaking of Vernel Bagneris, he also wrote a musical revue called "One Mo' Time" which opened in 1979 and was nominated in 1980 for a Grammy for Best Original Cast Album(I have that album.).

The revue was set in a 1926 New Orleans theater and was a collection of skits and musical numbers from 1920's African American Vaudeville of that day.

Two of  my favorite songs from this show-a song performed and made popular by the Empress of the Blues, Bessie Smith, called "My Kitchen Man"....



And this song which was recorded first in 1924 by Virginia Liston.
Singer Catherine Russell performs it currently in her cabaret repertoire of classic old songs....


That's all I got today.
What's a favorite song of yours from the 1920's or 1930's?

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. Dogs are the best entertainment and not much back-talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to figure out what I might want to watch tonight-quiet family movie night. We had a nice lunch, and it was easy clean-up with just the three of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Bessie Smith song I like is Back Water Blues. It was a great period in musical history.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.