Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Food Spending Report.....the March Edition

Onward to March's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for MARCH 2020..

I have posted March's totals on the Total Grocery Savings Page located HERE and have updated the Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in March.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 4(3 at home this month). No "kids" under 24.
*****************

ALDI'S
OOP  $36.48
Value  $68.20
Savings  46.51%

DOLLAR GENERAL
OOP  $5.79
Value  $28.97
Savings  80.01%

MALACARI'S
OOP  $27.99
Value  $48.03
Savings 41.72%

PandR DISCOUNTS
OOP $27.96
Value  $82.84
Savings  66.25% 

RITE-AID
OOP  $0.00
Qs/Ads/BC/GCard  $453.04
Value  $453.04
Savings  100%

WEIS
OOP  $257.58
Qs/Ads  $346.01
Value  $603.59
Savings  57.33%


*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 100%, Dollar General at 80.01% and PandR at 66.25%.   My worst savings rate was at Malacari's with 41.72%.
I shopped at 6 different stores in March.  Over  %of my food spending in March was done at Weis(PMITA)Markets.

TOTAL Spent........................................$355.80
TOTAL Coupons/Store Sales................$356.16
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased........$711.96
TOTAL Savings of ................................50.03%

TOTAL Out of Pocket for March w/R-A........$355.80
TOTAL Coupons/Store Sales w/R-A....................$809.20
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased w/Rite-Aid....$1165.00
TOTAL Savings with Rite-Aid items.....................69.46%

This closes out the March food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into March wanting to stay under my usual $400 monthly food budget last month.
Even with some extra comfort food buying and not adhering to sales and using coupons during the last half of the month because of the panic buying all around me and avoiding as much time spent at the grocery stores, we still stayed under budget.

The monthly food spending savings percentage went UP by 1.20% in March 2020 to 69.46% compared to the February 2019 rate of 68.26% savings average.

With 3 months accounted for, I have spent a Year-To-Date Total of $912.17 on food/toiletries in 2019.


2019 Yearly Grand Total Spent....................$912.17
2019 Yearly Grand Total Value of Items....$3158.40
2019 Grand Total Saved...............................$2246.23
2019 Yearly Savings Total............71.12%

The average per month amount spent is $304.06 in 2020.

LOOKING AHEAD To April 2020.............
Being in the middle of self-isolating and pandemic mode who knows what April's spending will look like?!
At the moment I have no Bonus Cash so I'll be staying out of Rite-Aid for awhile(and not bringing home free toiletries, etc.).  My menu plan doesn't need me to run to the grocery store this week.  We've got some canned and frozen veg and the fresh veg will be gone by the weekend.  Freezers and pantry are still filled here so we'll remain calm and carry on at least for the next little bit.

If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in March?

*  Do you track your yearly food spending?

*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?

*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I know I spent more, but not how much. Getting out the receipts would inform me...lol. However, having spent more does not mean it will all be consumed in a week or even a month. Growing this garden helps with food. I am going to make a bean soup tomorrow and put some of the kale it.

    One thing I keep on hand is Hormel Roast Beef and Gravy. It is about the size of a large can of tuna. It works when I am really ill, just tired, nothing thawed and no leftovers. Tommy hates it, but I went to bed one night and pointed out it was in kitchen and to try it. He hates gravy, so I told him to rinse off the gravy under the faucet. He lived. It is expensive. I keep at least one can and replace it when I use it. I eat it about once each year since it too expensive to eat often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am up for tracking expenses to spend less yet eat well, but not until this crisis is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so far over budget that it's irrelevant and not a priority. Overall our spending is down with staying home, so that's something. I stocked up a bit more than normal, to stay out of stores longer and do a quick replace when I do go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost doubled my usual budget but had some underage from Jan and Feb so that helped. I stocked up earlier than most, as a kid who grew up food insecure at times (Dad left my Mom in Canada with 2 little kids, no job and no relatives and zero child support) I admit to stocking up more than I should have. Thankfully back in January I bought 18 kilos (40 lbs) of rice and 10 lbs of flour, two items that are hard to get now. I expect my April to be much lower. There were also some comfort purchases but there won't be as many in April. I am going into April will a freezer and cupboards that are very full.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are also trying to stay out of the stores as much as possible. I try and shop for 2-3 weeks at a time. I get produce that is fresh and also frozen at the same time. We eat the fresh stuff the first 7-10 days and then move to frozen. Spending less because we are not eating out at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I am staying out of stores, I really don't know, how much I spent. Just trying to keep the weekly totals under $50.00 as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.