Friday, March 27, 2020

Frugal Friday......the March 27th Edition

Another week of "not normal" so let's try to bring some normality to our lives by doing a Frugal Friday.  In this time of pandemic it's hard to remain frugal(except if you stay home and stay away from online shopping when home-guilty as charged lol).




*  Hubs filed and we received our Federal Tax Return and it arrived via direct deposit into our account this week.  We don't get a very large refund which is good since it means we don't 'loan' the Federal Government our money for a year. ;-)
Of course a piece of that refund will go into the state's coffers since we ALWAYS owe them something. 8-(

* I had to go to Aldi on Tuesday for mushrooms so I picked up some other things there that are cheaper than anywhere else(butter, tortilla chips, cream cheese, almond milk for Hubs, etc.).
I also went to this town's Weis(PMITA)Markets looking for my Stress Relief tea.  I also bought some comfort foods while at Weis--2 bags of potato chips(haven't bought those in months!)and 2 containers of tapioca pudding(which wasn't on sale!).  I Love me some tapioca pudding so I happily paid full retail for that.  8-O


* We got pizza take-out from Domino's last Friday which cost me nothing OOP due to gift cards.  For some reason I have a metric shit ton of gift cards for Domino's(I went a little crazy last R-A Black Friday deal time when I already had some Domino's cards).  For 2020 this is considered free pizza since I paid for all those last year(or in 2018 in some cases).  I think we'll be plowing through this gift card stockpile for the foreseeable future what with our town finally getting it's own Domino's franchise and well, PIZZA!!  ;-)

* Speak of Weis(was I?), they have cancelled Freebies and Fantastic Friday Deals until further notice and there is NO weekly sales ad that should have started today which will cut down on me getting any deals there since I won't be shopping there(much).


* While I was near Aldi since it was "Cheap Bagel Tuesday" I got a Baker's Dozen of bagels at Panera across the street at their drive-thru window.  I used a free gift card to pay that I got with c/c points.

*  I did go to Rite-Aid once this week since I had to get an Rx anyway and I found this stuff.......


1 x Love/Beauty/Planet Conditioner 75% off=$2.24
2 x Baby Ruth candy bars on sale .77¢=$1.54
SubTotal...$3.78

Coupons Used
1 x $1.50/1 Love/Beauty/Planet item IPQ=$1.50
1 x BOGOFree Baby Ruth ManuQ=.77¢
Coupon Total.....$2.27
$3.78-$1.51+.05 tax=$1.56 paid for with Bonus Cash.


*  As mentioned in my opening I succumbed to some online clothes shopping on Sunday.  I was going to get 2 Summer dresses anyway(as I do each year)but then the store was having a 50% off everything, including clearance items so I bought a bit more.  I went through ShopAtHome and got 3.5% back in rebates on what I spent AND I found a Free Shipping code(which saved me another $19.99).  I'll pay all this from my accumulated WAM.

*  I found money!  On the one day I had to go out I found change, first at Aldi........


First I got a free quarter when the lady wouldn't take my quarter for her cart.  I guess a lot of folks are not wanting their quarters back now.


Then I found 2 pennies in the check-out line near the end by the register/cashier.  I used a Lysol wipe to pick them up.....do you know how hard it is to use a wipe to do that? lol
When a lady handed me her quarter for my cart I had her drop it into the wipe in my hand, so I didn't touch it before cleaning it off.

And at Rite-Aid later that afternoon I found another penny........


This coin was found by the register.  The floor mats in front of the registers are brown like an old penny so it's a good place to find those at Rite-Aid. lol

Again, I used a Lysol wipe to pick it up and all change was thoroughly cleaned once I got it home.

Found Money This Week...... .28¢
Found Money This Year so far....$44.55

*  I earned $1.60 in Ibotta rebates this past week.

*  I made myself a mask for when I have to go out in public again.............


I used sewing supplies I already had, which made this frugal.  While it's no N95 mask it makes me feel a  bit safer among the unwashed masses out there.  I don't go many places but the drugstore and grocery stores anyway but those are the places everyone is in nowadays because they can't go anywhere else. lol

I think our county will become a "shelter in place" county soon.  The infection is spreading here from NYC and Philly and the main county entry point from those cities where cases are exploding went into "shelter in place" status this week.  Our county is a couple dozen cases below them now so it's going to be any day for us. The local bus service to NYC and Philly has suspended service until further notice.
Then word got out that NYC has bussed in convicts from Brookly  into one of our local prisons.  I can see the villagers with pitchforks and torches storming Castle Frankenstein any time now............




That's about it for this week.



Any frugal stuff in your world?
Stay Frugal, Stay Safe and Wash Your Hands!



Sluggy

9 comments:

  1. The cardiologist had no mask on. When I asked why, he said the ones he had were no good. But, he volunteered the good ones he saved for when he was in the hospital. I have a few more left, so not making them right now. How have you lived without a Dominoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been doing our fair share of online shopping too. LOL

    I'm sorry you are seeing the spread from NYC in your area. Please be safe and stay home as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the mask, you and Zoro. Of course it is purple. I love tapioca pudding also. I can't make it at home any more becasue I eat the whole batch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to admit it, but I don't give a flip about saving money right now. I am just trying to stay healthy so I don't pass anything on to Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in your camp. I have too many folks ti checkin now. I just don't want to waste money.

      Delete
  5. we've spent more than usual, bought some things online and did another big shop this week to we are well stocked up now and staying home. love the mask! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a new pair of running shoes online via Amazon. They were actually cheaper than the ones I tried on at the store a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been working from home and it’s been in the 70s so I’ve dried five loads on the clothesline. The pets think this stay at home order is the best thing ever.

    No online shopping and haven’t left the house all week. I normally pay the credit cards in full each Friday but all balances are still $0! We’re what they call deadbeats - never pay interest but cash in on the sweet rewards. 😁

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any mask is better than no mask. I've got none but am being super careful and away from people. I have spent 1.5 more this month on groceries but stocked up for 30 days. No frugalness here except not buying anything except absolute necessities and zero eating out (we've decided not even to expose ourselves to takeout)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.