Friday, July 5, 2019

Frugal Friday......the July 5th Edition

Not much frugal-ness around Chez Sluggy this past week(I didn't really go anywhere, even Rite-Aid, and didn't find any change sigh)but here's the recap of what did happen.......

*  I got the Friday Freebie at Weis(PMITA)Markets............



A free container of cottage cheese.  Back in the day, I always used cottage cheese instead of ricotta when I made lasagna or stuffed shells.  Back then you couldn't find ricotta in the supermarket down South or if you did it was a very pricey specialty item.
After we were married a year and we moved to NJ, ricotta was widely available and I began using that in my Italian dishes.
I have gotten back into a habit of using cottage cheese in these Italian dishes again after getting better deals/coupons for cottage cheese.  I think the cc has more flavor than ricotta so this is a great item for me to get for free! ;-)


*  I noticed that we were low on checks for our bank account so I ordered new ones.



They came in quickly and with this bank's checking account, if we get the basic checks(no designer or branded logos, just plain old safety checks)they cost us ZERO.  I'll forgo dogs or peace signs on my checks to get them for FREE!

*  I hit Weis last Friday for the free cottage cheese, fresh tomatoes and almond milk for Hubs and happened upon trash bags on clearance as well as some Pam spray oil........



$16.45 for everything pictured(including sales tax)and they were all at least 50% off. 8-))

*  I had Hubs pick up ground beef and onions since his eye doctor appointment on Tuesday was right by the Restaurant Supply Store.  We needed the ground beef for grilling burgers(on the 3rd instead of the 4th since Ex-College Boy worked on the 4th).  I also made a big meatloaf on Tuesday and will be making some meatballs out of what is left of the bag o' meat.


I like to buy my onions in a large quantity at either a farm stand or the restaurant supply store. It is more cost effective to buy these in bulk.  25 lbs. for $14.99 makes them .60¢ a lb.  Onions in the grocery store in those little 2 lbs.bags can run you $1.49 each and specialty onions(red/Vidalia/etc.)can run you up to $2.49 per lb.  Next week the Shursave Market has 2 lb. bags of yellow onions on sale, 2 bags for $3. That costs out to .75¢ per lb. which is a really good price and if I didn't have room for 25 lbs. of onions I'd be all over that deal! lolz

My other gripe with those small bags of onions is the onions can be TINY!  Tiny onions means you are getting more onions skins and less usable parts of the onion thus they cost you even more buying them that way.
Quite a few years ago I made a root cellar for myself in my garage so I can store things like onions, potatoes, root veggies longer.  It's just a small Rubbermaid type tub with paper bags inside but it does a great job of keeping the produce dark and cool and keeping most items from bolting/sprouting.  If the temps get too cold for consecutive days(like below Zero, which doesn't happen too often around here)I can bring whatever is in the root cellar into my pantry closet in the kitchen.



*  I bought celery.....I know everybody is gasping about how un-frugal buying celery is lately. lolz
I like to snack on celery in the Summer and I had found my favorite roasted red pepper cream cheese dip at a produce market in W-B and had stocked up.  So I needed to get some celery. I ended up at the Shursave Market after seeing the insane price of celery at Weis(PMITA)Markets.  Shursave had 2 options--a bunch of celery in a bag for $2.99 or celery hearts on sale 2/$5(or $2.50 each).
So I took a bag of each to the scale and weighed them both.
The bunch of celery was very thin and didn't even weigh in at 1 lb.
The celery hearts was labeled 1 lb. but weighed in at over 2 lbs!  I checked other packages of the celery hearts to see if this was an anomaly but no, they ALL weighed at least 2 lbs.!
So guess which one I bought? ;-)  I paid $2.50 a pack for celery hearts weighing 2+ lbs. which meant  I paid $1.25 per lb. instead of $2.99 for a bunch that was barely 1 lb. in weight.

Moral of this story.....even if a produce item is marked with a weight, always weigh it yourself to see what it actually weighs.  Don't let the grocery stores rip you off!!! 8-)

*  This won't happen until next weekend but I wanted to mention it today.....


It's been confirmed that that the next 20% off everything Friends and Family Sale at Big Lots is going to be July 13th and 14th(Saturday and Sunday).  I have already started my list of what I want/need to get during this sale--including toilet paper, baby wipes, hydrogen peroxide to name a few.
I don't need a lot right now but it helps me stay organized if I go in with a written list.  Otherwise I'd just start picking up things because they are cheap but we don't necessarily need them right now.

Planning ahead is how you start to live a frugal life.





What frugal wins did y'all have this week?
Tell us all about it.


Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. Nothing frugal this week - we are on holiday in Santa Fe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My crazy neighbors are providing some free entertainment.

    I only go grocery shopping on Saturday and Kroger has limited deals. I’ll be checking out the manager’s special section but should be a low spending week.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only get the free checks, too. The last checkbook always has an assortment of picture checks. I love some of these, but not enough to pay for them. The frugal thing I did was stay home. Of course, I had ice cream here that was on sale. So, I was a happy little pig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just trying to keep overall life low spending right now. I still need new comfy shoes though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice write-up. I definitely love this website.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author. I will always bookmark
    your blog and will often come back later on. I want
    to encourage that you continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the marvelous posting, Where do you get these friends anyway? You can meet the strangest people on line....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tide was on sale for $1.99 and some extra online coupons made it even cheaper. Same for paper towels. Didn’t need either at the moment but great stock up prices. We have four cats and a dirty little hound dog so both will be used! 😉

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.