Monday, August 17, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

 The "Front Garden is Doing Great!" Edition........



Hubs and I planted Coleus, Pansies and Celosia flame type flowers in front of the house this year.

We did Celosia one year and Hubs liked it so much he always wants to plant it there now.  I love me some Coleus because of the so many varigated varieties of it.  This year the Coleus are all going gangbusters and are starting to resemble bushes rather than small plants! lol

This photo is from 28 July so I'll get a more recent photo as soon as Hubs weeds the area again. ;-)

The pansies unfortunately have all been eaten and dug up by our resident rabbits.  Evidently besides violets, rabbits enjoy munching on pansies as well.  The green pot to the front left holds some lavender plants which haven't grown much at all.  Maybe I should re-pot them in a bigger receptacle?


Onward to the meal planning!

Moving On....
This is what was planned.........

1. Sunday--Steak strips, Brussels Sprouts, Baked Potato
2. Monday--BBQ chicken legs, leftover Macaroni Salad, Squash and Onions
3. Tuesday--?
4. Wednesday--?
5. Thursday--?
6. Friday--?
7. Saturday--?

And this is what really happened.......

1. Sunday--Steak strips, Brussels Sprouts, Baked Potato
2. Monday--BBQ chicken legs, leftover Macaroni Salad, Squash and Onions
3. Tuesday--Take-out Pizza
4. Wednesday--Teriyaki Pork Stir-fry w/Veggies, Rice
5. Thursday--Lobster, Chopped Mediterranean Salad
6. Friday--Beef Pie
7. Saturday--Cheeseburgers, Sweet Potato Wedges

Last week saw 6 nights of home cooked dinners, 0 nights of leftovers/FFY, and 1 night of Take-Out/Eating Out.

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 3 more chicken pot pies
* 2 veggie lasagnas(single servings)

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* Steak strips
* Brussels Sprouts
* Chicken Legs
* Teriyaki Pork Loin
* Stir-Fry Veggie Mix

We spent $172.75 last week, between Dollar General(a week ago last Sat.), Weis(PMITA)Markets(a week ago last Friday), Price Chopper, the Bread Outlet, Walmart and Malacari's produce, bringing our food to $298.16 so far this month.
Again I did a bit of stocking plus after Wednesday I won't be going grocery shopping(or even Rite-Aid shopping so I got everything we need for the rest of the month mostly as I'll have to send Hubs to the store and he has to have that specific and detailed list unless I want him going rouge and just spending willy-nilly. ;-)  I hope besides some produce and hamburger buns we are all set for the rest of August. 
I knew because of my surgery that I had to "front end load" the grocery shops this month. ;-)

I've earned $70.70 on Ibotta in August so far.
I've earned $4.25 on SavingStar in August so far but am closing in on a $5 wys $25 GM cereal rebate there as well.

My savings percentage for last week was 57.82%(without "regular"Rite-Aid trips)for August and the monthly savings total for August comes in at 52.64% so far.(w/out R-A).  Much better than last week's percentage


Leftovers going into this week......Stuffed Shells(I defrosted and prepped for Ex-CB to take home to his apt. but he never showed up for them so they got cooked and Hubs ate half of the container lol), Teriyaki Pork stir fry w/Veggies, Rice, Beef Pie and a few Sweet Potato Wedges.
That's it.  I think I am starting to get the hang of cooking less quantities now that Ex-CB isn't here unless it's something I know we like as a leftover.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--FFY(I had oatmeal for dinner)
2. Monday--Beef Stroganoff, Rice, Carrots
3. Tuesday--Grilled Salmon, Salad
4. Wednesday--? Not making dinner so who knows??
5. Thursday--Meatloaf(I'll make ahead for Hubs), the rest TBD and Hubs responsibility
6. Friday--Chicken Pot Pie
7. Saturday--Chinese Take-Out


What needs buying for this menu?  Nothing, I've got everything we need for this already and I won't be going grocery shopping again this month.  Hubs may

What's left on my master list of meals we can make from what's at home(not that I'm referring to/using it at this point with the heat).
* Shrimp Scampi
* Tuna Casserole
* Roasted Chicken
* Shrimp/Crab Ravioli
* Cheese Ravioli
* Breakfast for Dinner
* Haddock Fish Dinner  new
* Chicken Tenders  new
* Beef Liver  new
Plus lots of thinly sliced Chicken Breast, grass fed Ground Beef and Ground Turkey in the freezer.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I'd love your recipe for chicken pot pies-how to keep the fillings from running out. I'm going to freeze at least one portion of curry over rice so my daughter can take back to school as a transition back to college lunch, or often as she eats, breakfast one morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found turkey wings which are hard to find, today. Cooked them in my pressure cooker. Made rice with some of the stock. I had half of it for dinner today and the rest is for dinner tomorrow. On Wednesday, my dentist will start the implant process so, I will probably be consuming soup and soft food for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a huge pot of spaghetti and meatballs last night. Those 12 oz. boxes of pasta are still throwing off my measurements. That and a giant pot of refried beans should cover the week. Don’t be jealous of the exciting meals at my house. 😁

    I skipped a real grocery trip and just picked up bananas and a few other items. Kroger sent a $19 off $190 purchase coupon so I’m planning a big list for the weekend.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that celosia is edible. I love coleus. I had lime and red that I loved. They look so happy as does celosia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lime and red are right in the middle of the bed.

      Delete
  5. I made a batch of quinoa, baked a chicken breast, and some veggies for dinner. Lunch will be egg salad, and breakfast will be oatmeal with fresh blueberries. Trying to use up what I have.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.