Sunday, April 7, 2019

The To-Do List.....March Update

Let's not be so late this time and take a look at how the March To-Do List turned out, shall we?


* Pay Bills  DONE--Paid on time or this month many were paid early as we were out of town for half the month(when some were due).

* Read 1, 2 Books  DONE--I read this one..........


"The Mormonizing of American: How the Mormon Religion Became a Dominant Force in Politics, Entertainment, and Pop Culture" by Stephen Mansfield

I found this book very enlightening about a religion(yes it's a religion and not a "cult" as many still think)I knew little about.  Written by an author who is not of that faith but it was a very even handed study nonetheless.  The author interviewed both Mormons and non-Mormons for this book.  A lot of history and backstory in this as well as modern day stories of Mormon followers.
I couldn't put this book down, it was like a drug....ok, maybe a Diet Coke. lolz  (Sorry I couldn't resist the joke, Kim.)
I highly recommend this book to anyone curious about Mormon culture, teachings and history.
And then this one............



"Uncle Sam's Plantation: How Big Government Enslaves America's Poor and What We Can Do About It" by Star Parker

Written by someone who grew up poor and ended up in the ghetto "culture".  She was a welfare mom, or as she says, suckling at the teat of government for her very existence.
Ms. Parker raised herself out of the system that keeps an underclass of Americans dependent on government handouts, or as she terms it dependent on "Uncle Sam's Plantation".  She started a non-profit called CURE(the Center for Urban Renewal and Education)to address what she feels are the issues that have destroyed African-American family life and move adults and families from a life of dependency on Government programs to personal freedom and responsibility.  While I don't agree with some of her agendas I do think she is one of the few people who has a clue how current social policies are destroying our country.
No matter what side of the political bench you are perched on(or not)this is an eye opening and thought provoking book.  Check it out!

* Hold Giveaway  DONE


I gave away two boxes of goodies in March.

* Mail Giveaway  DONE  I know one arrived safely....still waiting on the other winner to acknowledge their box arrived.

* Plan rest of 2019 Trips  DONE  I am calling this one done.  We went South in March for two weeks.  There is a week long trip planned to New Hampshire in June.  Perhaps our eldest son will visit sometime this Summer.  We may go to the Family Reunion end of September and there is a girls trip planned for early October to the beach.  Other than that we are being homebodies this year(unless something comes up).

* Open new CD  DONE  The old CD monies finally processed and we got most of the proceeds put in a new CD at a different bank with a higher rate.
Go me.


* Go on Trip  DONE  That trip is in the books and thankfully our time in Myrtle Beach didn't coincide with college Spring Breaks. lolz  We did some things in Charleston(didn't get down to Savannah GA however), met up with Hubs siblings, got to reconnect with a friend of mine from high school, did 2 different battle fields in NC, spent a couple of days hanging out with my brother and sister in-law and then our eldest son in VA.
It was a low-key, hop in the car and go somewhere, kind of trip.  The best kind IMHO.

*  Purge Inserts  DONE  The "possibly gonna use" Qs got cut out and all the old/expired mostly Q inserts got trashed.

* Work on Health Goals  DONE sort of......I've been in maintenance mode since December and doing well.  I got an appointment at Hershey medical center for an HS clinic but that's not until July. ugh.  Just trying to get through until then but all other health issues are status quo.  I am going to be going on a short term diet regime once the Daughter moves out next month.  More on that at a later date.

*  Plan Home Projects-Timeline  FAIL  Hubs and I have talked loosely about what project need addressing but haven't put a timeline together.  We didn't feel like debating all this while on vacation so we'll be hashing over projects and time frame in May.

*  Purchase Porcfest Tickets  DONE  We purchased the event tickets before the prices went up(Early Bird Special anyone?lolz)and the motel reservations are in place.  Eldest son is still on the fence about going but there is space in our room to accommodate him if he decides to go.
PORCFEST is an annual social/pseudo-political gathering for Libertarians.  Think political convention meets Burning Man. lolz  Hubs has wanted to go for years but it never worked out that we could get there.  This year we go.  The porcupine is the mascot of the Libertarian party thus Porc-fest.  
This should be an "adventure" in every sense of the word........


So how did your list of goals for March turn out?


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. Both of those books look intersting. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read "Educated". It might be a good follow up book to the Mansfield book even though it is not about Mormonism, but is about a child of a radically fundamental family who happens to be Mormon

    ReplyDelete
  3. March was a long, blah kinda month. I am trying really hard to think if anything actually got accomplished...bills did get paid. We made it up to Cranberry (yes that's a real place lol) to watch one last Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey practice before the end of the regular season. Great, free way to get close to the players. The rink is one of my favorite places, I wish we lived just a little closer. And I found a non-slip mat for the back of my Jeep, to help keep it clean and avoid the groceries flying around back there. $4.99 at Aldi, of all places. Pretty boring stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read, along with a diet coke. How is daughters wedding diet going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sluggy,

    I am happy that you had a nice vacation down south when it was not so nice in your state. I am so sorry that you are dealing with health issues. I hope that things get all straightened out soon. BTW, I read of Mormonizing of America. I have so many Mormon friends and it was nice to read the history.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.