Tuesday, April 30, 2019

So Much To Do! Here's My Elephant.

With Daughter moving out on May 19th(less than 3 weeks from now), we are in a holding pattern on home repairs/renovations until then.
This doesn't mean I can't take this couple of weeks to plan how to attack this elephant and what we will do and in what order these things will get done.


Over the past month I've been searching the house(other than her room)for Daughter's stuff that she is taking with her to Louisiana.  Here are the things I've found and gathered in the living room so far(not the turquoise book and the purple items under it).  This is hardly everything-the hanging torture rack takes up the whole side of the living room behind me from where I was standing taking this photo, the huge dog crate which her dog never uses is taking up 1/8 of the den floor space, there's a "dreadmill" folded up but still taking up lots of space in the garage(and blocking access to some of Hubs garage cabinets), a metal trash can full of her dog's food also in the garage, the automotive tools and such her Fiance left in the shed, plus everything in her bedroom. 

The only thing I think I'll miss is her portable deep fryer(makes some tasty pork tenderloins and shrimp tempura).lolz

So here are the things that will get done once Daughter leaves.  It's a big old game of Dominoes really. ;-)


*  Her old room gets cleaned(clear out furniture/vacuum/shampoo the carpeting/clean walls/trim/ceiling/ceiling fan/dressers she isn't taking.)  Then EX-CB moves in his crap and takes that room.  He was planning on moving out within the next few months but then the new job search happened so that's delayed.

* After EXCB vacates his room, rinse and repeat cleaning that bedroom(clear out furniture/vacuum/shampoo carpeting/clean walls, trim, ceiling, ceiling fan/dresser.  Then I am painting that room(hasn't been painted since 2005).  Once we get the room cleared out we can evaluate whether carpeting needs replacing.

*  Once that bedroom is cleaned out and up I can move all my crap into there-a combination of sewing crap and toiletries stockpile(what doesn't fit into upstairs hallway closet).


                 Hubs "man cave" aka the room of toiletries/books/fabric/brewing equipment.

*  Once my crap is out of Hubs' room then we clear that bedroom out and rinse and repeat all the cleaning/fixing.  This bedroom will definitely be getting new paint and carpet(original carpet from before the previous owner we bought from in 2000 so very old and nasty rug).
Hubs puts his room back together.

      One side of the master bedroom where a coffee table(Hubs refuses to get rid of)and a plastic etagere are stacked with my fabric stash(well, some of it).  Also I've got piles of clothing sitting there as well.

* Once all these bedrooms are done we can attack the master bedroom, the whole cleaning deal including the furniture.  We will be getting a new mattress and bed frame(adjustable one). 

* Also on my plate is the master bedroom walk-in closet.  I've used that closet to hold, besides clothing, some out of season clothing, my Xmas gift boxes(shopping all year round does have it's downsides in that you need places to keep all the things you are gifting until Dec. lol), as well as the bulk of the family photo albums.  I have NOT done the seasonal clothing change out from there yet because of the upcoming Domino game of cleaning/sorting.....I want to get it all done at once.

*  Then we can move on to the upstairs hallway.  Cleaning and clearing it.  We need to have someone come in and fix the drywall and finish painting the hallway(where I couldn't reach-especially the stair well).

* This leaves the laundry room and the main upstairs bathroom to fix/redo, both of which will wait until EX-CB moves out or we set a date to move from this house.(Update-EX-CB may be moving out before the year is out.  He wants to move but this leaving his job/finding a new job has delayed his move-out time table.)

These few projects, along with a few others, will keep us busy for most of the rest of the year.

The expenses on all this?
Paint supplies, carpeting and installation, paying for someone to fix and paint the upstairs hallway.  I'v got tons of cleaning supplies already so the rest is just physical labor which Hubs and I can handle.  Carpet(if only 1 small bedroom needs it)and paint will come in around $600 and no clue on having someone drywall/paint hallway.  The mattress/bed frame will cost about $1500.  I'm "optimistically" thinking of keeping all this under $3K total.
The big expense will be the main bathroom redo and isn't happening this year.  Perhaps next year so it's not THAT far down the road and once we get all this finished we need to start planning for that project(planning for the outlay and who we'll contract with to do the job like we did the master bathroom a few years ago).

So besides our trip to New Hampshire in June, this and the garden and Chester and other home projects will keep us busy and at home most of the Summer. 

It is feeling overwhelming right now but we'll take it one step at a time until it's all done...plus with Hubs retired most of it won't be left to me to do. 
Like the old saying, "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time." 8-)

I'll share photos, progress reports and more laments as work begins in May.

Have you got home projects planned for this Summer?  Tell us about it.

Sluggy


11 comments:

  1. Carpet may be more than expected, be sure to get a quote based on installed, not cost per sq foot. Plus add in if they haul it away. Ours was more than originally thought but in my opinion definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list makes mine feel small! (Though I really should be adding more to it once the grad party is done.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your project list and your prospective budget (even though it makes me laugh since reno's rarely stick to the thought about budget)
    I have started my todo list for this week. I have a pretty short window to get a ton of stuff done. Son3 is coming here with his band for a short southern tour and they are staying here at hotel "free". I hope to have everything done by then and if not, well they are just guys and it probably won't matter. Still I work better when my back is against a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an awfully large elephant my dear, but I have lived through it and so can you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one very ambitious woman! Good for you!

    My husband and I are taking on refinishing the deck(s). Yes, sigh, when we were younger, we went a bit deck crazy. There are like 3 decks to refinish..around 500 square feet give or take. The plan is to remove all the peeling solid stain by power washing, than sand the rest off. After that, we will stain with a transparent stain. He is 72 with a bad back, I am 65 with 2 replaced knees and a hip and weight to lose...yee haw!

    Plus, there is a pool off the upper deck and the plan is to accomplish the power washing and sanding before the cover comes off for swimming season.

    We can do this...I know we can! It won't be as fast and easy as when we were in our 30's and 40's, but slow and steady wins the race!

    One thing, I won't be able to kneel, so there will be a bunch of "butt scooching" going on! I better watch out for slivers...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's life without projects? Lol We have a lot on our plate, too. Our two biggies will be replacing the roof on the shed along with the small deck and stairs leading up to it. Then there is our back deck (38 feet long that collapsed after a blizzard. Although we have a claim in with our homeowners insurance for that (waiting for the snow to melt for the adjuster to come back out) we plan on doing all the work ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot of projects coming up soon. I used to love to paint our home in Pikeville, but the home we live in now is all paneling, so no painting required there. I used to use stencils in our Pikeville home and I just loved doing things like that.

    My plans involve cleaning out an office space downstairs. I would like to use that space for a new source of income, but we shall see how that works out.

    I tried the Elite bittersweet chocolate last night and wanted to tell you it was really good, even better than the milk chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It never ends. Good luck with it all. When it is all finished, you will have another list of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website.
    Thanks, I will try and check back more often. How frequently you update your website?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We still can't quite think I could often be one of those reading the important recommendations found on your website.
    My family and I are sincerely thankful on your generosity and
    for presenting me the chance to pursue my personal chosen profession path.
    Thanks for the important information I acquired from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your site post. Thomas and I are already saving to get a new ebook on this subject and your writing
    has made people like us to save the money. Your ideas really responded
    to all our queries. In fact, greater than what we had acknowledged before
    we stumbled on your superb blog. I actually no longer
    nurture doubts as well as a troubled mind because you have actually attended to all of our needs in this post.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.