Friday, October 30, 2015

2015 Food & Toiletries Spending.....October Update


Onward to October's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for OCTOBER 2015.

I have posted October's totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2015 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.  I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in September.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3(2 at home this month). No kids under 19. 

******************
BIG LOTS
OOP  $30.76
Value  $47.70
Savings 35.51%

DOLLAR TREE
OOP  $5.00
Value  $7.50
Savings 25%

GROCERY OUTLET
OOP  $16.96
Value  $27.16
Savings  47.55%

JEWELL
OOP  $18.61
Value  $25.78
Savings  28%

MAINE SOURCE
OOP  $45.30
Value  $80.61
Savings  43.80%

RITE-AID
OOP  $0.00
Qs/Ads/gift card $126.67
Value  $126.67
Savings  100%
 
SHURSAVE MARKET
OOP  $19.37
Qs/Ads $11.85
Value  $31.22
Savings  38%

SURPLUS OUTLET
OOP  $28.57
Value  $52.04
Savings  45.10%

WALMART
OOP  ($6.72)on free gift card
Value  $8.87
Savings  100%
 
WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $73.07
Qs/Ads  $103.78
Value  $176.85
Savings  58.68%
 

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid and Walmart(tied) at 100%, Weis at 58.68% and Grocery Outlet at 47.55%.  My WORST savings rate was Dollar Tree at 25%.

I shopped at 10 different stores this past month.  

TOTAL Out of Pocket........ $237.64
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$346.76
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$584.40
TOTAL Savings of...................................59.34%
TOTAL Savings without Rite-Aid...........48.08%

This closes out the October food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into October wanting to do a $300 food budget for the month and I only spent $237.64, leaving me with $62.36 leftover in the budget.

The monthly savings percentage went down by 1.43% in October to 59.34% compared to September's high 60.77% savings average.  Still a great savings rate though for October.

The savings rate for the whole year so far now stands at 59.21%.  That's a .01 increase in savings over September's YTD total(59.20%).  It's still hanging in well over a 40% savings rate for the year so it's all good. 

I have spent a total of $3,723.41 on food/toiletries in 2015 so far at this point in the year. That averages out to $372.34 per month.  That's still under $400 per month average for the year.

LOOKING AHEAD To NOVEMBER.........

We'll try for a $300 food budget for NOVEMBER again like I did in October, since it's just Hubs and I at home now.  No pets either.  But College Boy will be coming home for Thanksgiving for a few days this month.  And there is that behemoth food Turkey Day this month.  Even so, I've already got some of the foods and ingredients in the house for that meal, including a large turkey breast, pumpkin, various squashes and veggies, potatoes, pie and roll making ingredients too.
Plus the freezer and pantry are PACKED otherwise with foodie goodness.  8-)
$300 food budget for November is very doable.
 
If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.
 
*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in October?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?
 

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to spend a fortune on food next (not THIS weekend but next) weekend!!! I'm going to do the 50 meals in the freezer thing. I hope... I also need to steam clean the carpets and make some bread... and keep an eye on the kid.
    Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my food spending in check by price-matching at Walmart. Plus, I buy more than I actually need for the moment and freeze or dehydrate the rest. I need to get in the habit of documenting everything like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to track every cent, but have gotten really lazy the last few years. I plan our meals, in advance, by using the ads and focusing on the loss leaders. Since we have plenty of storage, I always stock up on those items we use most often. I spend more than I'd actually have to because I like to share with my kids (I know...I'm crazy that way). Sluggy, just seeing your calculations makes me think it would be fun to track my spending. Question for McVal and any others who have experience with bulk meal-making for freezer. Which foods do you think actually taste best coming out of the freezer? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got to stop eating out - that is my major food bill matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends on your personal food tastes and depends on how you prep freezer meals. Some like lasagnes, chili and the like are fantastic heated and served as it.
    I put a bunch of crock pot fixings and freeze them in dinner portions. I just dump them frozen in the cooker the morning of the meal. They turn out very well because the crock cooking is the first cooking for those meals. Twice baked potatoes freeze and reheat well, but I have had little luck with other potatoes. I freeze individual casserole "innerds" but I freeze them in plastic bags so they have to defrost to be put in a casserole dish. Then I top they with whatever I am using after I partially cook them. I also grate cheese and keep it in a ziploc bag in the freezer to add to casseroles. Noodles sometimes get a little chewy after freezing but we eat them anyway. You also can't go wrong with freezing meatballs, ground beef cooked with onion and garlic,grilled pulled pork, smoked or roasted turkey. or chopped cooked chicken cubes or shreds in meal size zip bags. You can make tons of quick meals with them.
    I personally am not a big fan of baked frozen breads and cakes, but I freeze them sometimes and we eat it anyway."They" tell you not to freeze all kinds of foods and I have pretty much frozen all of them. I love this time of year because I have the freezer stocked and we are guaranteed a quick meal nearly every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing what works for you in the freezer. I've frozen a few things w/good results, but would like to try more. I've had a few bad experiences, too, but probably the best thing to do is experiment. Again, I appreciate this info!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.