Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Food and Toiletries Spending.....JUNE Update

 Onward to June's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for JUNE 2014.

I have posted June's totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2014 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in June.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Summary.

My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Pet Supplies, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 4(3-5 at home this month)& 1 dog. No kids under 18.
*This month included a High School Graduation Party and an adult child visiting with his girlfriend for 5 days.
******************

BREAD OUTLET
OOP  $14.00
Value  $50.79
Savings  72.44%

DOLLAR GENERAL
OOP  $25.54
Qs/Ads  $7.75
Value  $33.29
Savings  23.28%

OLLIE'S
OOP  $34.14
Qs/Ads  $20.38
Value  $54.52
Savings  37.38%
 
SHURSAVE STORES(small local independent affiliated stores)
OOP  $17.17
Qs/Ads  $22.21
Value  $39.38
Savings  56.40%

SURPLUS OUTLET(discount food store)
OOP  $67.73
Value  $122.20
Savings  44.57%

WALMART
OOP  $44.87
Qs/Ads  $20.14
Value  $65.01
Savings  31%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $143.57
Qs/Ads  $111.76
Value  $215.95
Savings  33.52%

I also bought a Graduation Cake at the Bakery #2 Son works at for $30, which is included in my grocery spending this month.  It may not have been the cheapest cake I could have bought but it was head and shoulders above the grocery store bakery department in quality.  Yeah, I splurged.  8-)

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were the Bread Outlet at 72.44%,  the Local Grocer at 56.40% and Surplus Outlet at 44.57%.  My WORST savings rate was Dollar General at 23.28%.
I shopped at 8 different stores this past month counting that Bakery cake order.


TOTAL Out of Pocket........$463.75
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$309.26
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$727.33
TOTAL Savings of...................................36.24%

This closes out the June food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....

I wanted to get as far south of $400 of spending as possible.
Didn't happen, mostly due to extra food spending the last week of the month when #1 Son came home to visit.  At least I didn't hit $500+ like last month.

The yearly savings percentage went down 1.90% in June(46.60%).  In May it was 48.50%.  Savings is still in the 40's which is good.

LOOKING AHEAD TO JULY......

I am going to try for a $350 food spending month in July.
Not sure what July holds for me yet in terms of travel plans but food spending while traveling comes out of the entertainment budget and not the grocery/toiletries budget.  I am sure if/when I leave, Hubs will keep grocery shopping to a bare minimum.

Other than the traveling, there are no plans in July that would push the food budget higher.

 
If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

Total spend on food/toiletries so far this year at the half year mark.....$2,499.84.
The average monthly food/toiletries spending this year so far is $407.22.
We are over $400 per month average now.  I hope to get it back under $400 as soon as possible.

 
*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in June?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  If so, how are you doing at the halfway point for 2014?
 
Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. I don't track a yearly spend. We have a limit of 300 dollars for the five of us. It does not count the prescription dog food I have to buy. We have three teenagers, and two adults, one cat. We do include the cat food in our grocery budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sure is a tight budget Debbie for 5 adults and a cat. I also include our dog's food in our budget.

      Delete
  2. I spent less than $100 this last month for one person. I was eating bread and meat that was bought at a huge savings. The vegetables and fruits, except apples, were bought using price matching at WM. Some of that is carrying over to July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent $570, but a lot of that was to replace food that we had to toss when our fridge/freezer was unplugged. Good times. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family of 4 (me plus DD (21), 2 sons (16) full time. DS (20) plus GF have supper with us on average 5 nights/week, plus I gift groceries to them. Keeping my budget at $400/mo includes food from stores (not restaurants), cleaning products, personal care items (not pet supplies/food). Additionally, I prorate my CSA to a monthly amount, so as to have the funds available when I pay up front. $87.50 more

    ReplyDelete
  5. I set my monthly food budget at $325 and then listen to God laugh. It's closer to $450 or at times, $500 (for two adults). So, I increased my food budget to $350 and listened to God laugh again. Somehow, in my mind I think of the $350 goal and it keeps my budget down. If I set it to reality, like $450, I think I might relax my frugal muscle and spend more. It's a game. I know it.
    I buy all my cleaning supplies and beauty products at the Dollar Store. Period. I buy all my groceries at Aldi. If Aldi doesn't sell it, we don't eat it. Since I have arthritis, white products (like bread) affects me. So, I buy organic, vegan, sprouted bread at a local (cheap) health food store @$3.99 a loaf. It's the only splurge I have and well worth the money. (when you compare it to the pain I feel when I eat white crap). I only allot $25 a month to eating out and that equals to the dollar McDonald's menu. Biggest thrill of mine is getting a super large iced coffee at Mickey Dee's for only a buck!
    Hi Sluggy. Can you please add my blog to your blogroll? I'm back to my frugal roots and I plan to stay here for a while. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.