Thursday, April 9, 2009

Back from Weis Mrkt. where it's H-O-T!

Yes it's HOT at Weis Markets.....HOT SAUCE, that is!

I needed to pick up cake mix today to make Hubby a cake for his birthday. His actual birthday was last week, but he was sick, so we are celebrating tonight.

He requested a Chocolate Cake and I have NO chocolate cake mix in the house. I do have cocoa powder, flour, baking powder & sugar but....

1. I am too lazy today to drag all that out.


2. My last made-from-scratch cake didn't turn out so well.


3. Weis is having a sale on Duncan Hines mixes this week.



So I bopped down the street to my Weis market in Teeny Tiny Town and here's what I brought home....



I got to the cake mix aisle and found not only are the cake mixes on sale for $1 a box, but the frosting is $1.50 a tub AND if you buy a cake mix, a brownie mix & a frosting, you get FREE LARGE EGGS!

Having coupons for Duncan Hines would make this deal even better. The only Q I had was $1/3 Brownie mixes and I just didn't feel the need for 3 of those today. So I bought 1 of each AND a box of Angel Food Cake Mix(I need this for Easter's meal & Betty Crocker because Betty was cheaper). ;-)

Heading on over to pick up my eggs(did I mention that they were FREE?), I made a wrong turn and passed down the condiment aisle. I noticed that the French's Mustard(classic yellow)was on sale for $1.49 or $1.79, depending on the size of the bottle. Not a very low price but....I have coupons for 50¢ off/1 (this Weis doubles up to $1), making my discount $1 on ea. bottle.


AND there is a OYNO Catalina Coupon for $1 when you buy 2 bottles. So I picked up 4 bottles.


Further down the condiment aisle I saw a cardboard freestanding display of Frank's Hot Sauce-3 for $1. These weren't the regular sized Hot Sauce bottles but smaller.

Regular small size is 8 oz, these are 5 oz. bottles. Look for them....

I had $1/2 coupons for Franks & the coupon has no size limit on it, so I picked up 12 bottles. **If you get the 3/$1 bottles you will have to buy in multiples of 3 to use the $1/2 coupons....unless your store will take a coupon that gives you overage. So my 12 bottles used 4 coupons and made the Hot Sauce FREE!

I tried to get the mustard for free-at least the second 2 bottles. I went to the self-check out and bought 2 bottles, using 2 .50¢ off coupons. Paid .98¢ and got a $1 OYNO catalina. I tried to use 2 .50¢ off coupons & the $1 Cat the second time, but the cashier wouldn't take the Cat. Now I realize that the Cat would have made .02¢ overage on the purchase. I gave her the coupons and THEN the Cat....I should have given her the Cat first, then the 2 .50¢off coupons. The first coupon would have rang up doubled to $1 and the second coupon would either adjust down on the doubling(to .48¢, not .50¢)OR it won't double at all. In that case, the 2 bottles of mustard would cost me .48¢ instead of the .98¢ I paid. And it would generate another OYNO $1 Cat to keep rolling this deal.

I'll have to go back tonight or tomorrow and try with the mustard again.

Transaction #1
2 Mustard @$1.49 ea.
Subtotal....$2.98
Qs Used....$2.00
TOTAL....$.98
Got $1 OYNO Cat

Transaction #2
2 Mustards @$1.49ea.
12 Hot Sauce @3/$1
2 Cake Mix @$1 ea.
1 Frosting @$1.50
1 Cake Mix @$1.67
1 Dzn. Eggs @$1.73
Subtotal.....$13.88
Qs Used
2 Mustard $2(doubled)
4 Hot Sauce $4
Instant Q for Eggs $1.73
Total Qs.....$7.73
GRAND TOTAL...$6.15 & a $1 CAT

[Grand Total could have been either $4.17(w/free mustard)or $4.66(w/2nd Q adjusted)]....oh well.

So I'm OOP $7.13, I have products valued at $16.86 AND I have 2 $1 CATs to use the next trip to the store.

Be on the lookout for those special sized FRANK'S RED HOT SAUCE at your local Weis/Mr.Z's market. Like I said, this store had the display set up in the condiment aisle, but it could be put elsewhere-like near the deli or by the Ethnic foods-so keep your eyes peeled.

I am betting that this special Frank's Sauce isn't just a Weis thing. If anyone finds this display/price on Franks in a different grocery chain, please leave me a comment and let me know.

thanks!

Sluggy








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.