Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Oh, I Almost Forgot....3/31 Trip


I almost forgot to post about the shopping trip to the evil WALMART last week for FREE IAMS DOG FOOD!
I had 8 $5/1 Qs left for Iams Dog Food. I had used the rest at Rite Aid 2 weeks before when they had Iams Cat Food for $6.49 a small bag. I bought out the local Rite Aid of those, paying $1.49 a bag. Those Cat Food bags went to the local ASPCA on that Saturday.

So, the rest of the Qs were expiring that day.
Great!
I had been to my Walmart on 2 previous occasions looking for what everyone online w/couponing blogs had been reporting the small bags of Iams Puppy &/or Kitten Food was on sale for $5-which would make the Bags FREE with these $5/1 Qs.
My WM did NOT have these bags on sale on either trip there.
Regular price of $7.49 or some such nonsense.
I even price checked it each trip.
I had given up hope of using these Qs.

Mail comes on March 31st. What do you think I find in my mailbox?
A flyer from WM.
A flyer advertising Iams small bags of Dog/Cat Food for 2/$10($5 ea.)!
FINALLY, the sale comes to PA!
So after dinner, #2 son accompanies me in a trip to WM.
I take the flyer with me, with the sale price of the product circled in BLACK MAGIC MARKER.
I am prepared to do battle with the Front End Walmart GNOMES if the Dog Food doesn't ring up $5 a bag.

Got a few other items and headed to the check-out.
The Coupon Gods must have been smiling on me that night.
The Dog Food rang up correctly...$5.
The cashier took my Qs, all 8 of them, without a problem.
She did make conversation with me about the transaction but it was a POSITIVE chat.
No freaking out over Qs and no calling over of snide Customer Service Managers.

Cashier: "Where did you get these coupons?"
Me: "In the Sunday paper."
Cashier: "But you have 8?"
Me: "I bought 8 newspapers that week."
Cashier: "Oh, that's smart! I never see coupons for this much mBoldoney in the paper."
Me: "They are in there sometimes. You just have to watch for them & buy extra papers when they have the good coupons."
Cashier: "You're probably right. I don't use coupons much. I really should, huh?"
Me: "They could save you serious money if you do it right."
Cashier: "That's true. You just saved $40 on dog food!"

And here's my $40 of FREE DOG FOOD in the 4 WM plastic bags I smuggled in with me to reuse....


Not sure if this is going into the ASPCA Donation Pile. Our puppies are running low on kibble.
I don't know....if I feed them this, they might start turning up their snouts when we go back to the not-high-end-stuff. lol

If you want to get technical, the Dog Food did cost me something-the cost of 8 Sunday newspapers the week these Qs came out. 8 papers=$10($1.25x8) So the value of 2 $5 coupons covered the newspapers I bought....so ONLY $30 of this dog food was FREE.
BUT....remember, there were lots of other Qs in that paper I have also saved money by using, which brings the cost of the papers I paid for VS. Qs used down even more.

No matter how you do the accounting, I still came out ahead by using Qs.

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. Sluggy,
    I think you are a math genius!
    Or some kind wizard.
    I would offer you my dog food recipe, but free kibble is certainly cheaper than homemade dog chow.
    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey LisaPie,
    Do send me that dog food recipe. I'd love to have it and try making the hounds food from scratch.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.