Wednesday, December 13, 2023

The Knee Journey & Other Complications

**This is long so grab a beverage before you slog your way through this epic tale. 8-)

I started having issues with my right knee in 2018.  X-rays showed the joint was bone on bone.  I began having steroid shots(some times in just the right knee and sometimes both).  I had a PCP who knew how to give them(he eventually moved on to the Philly area to specialize in geriatric patients).  I have a messed up right shoulder as well(had bursitis in it years ago)but the shots never helped there.

Anyway, when my PCP left in late 2021 I then had to go to the Orthopedist office in that medical organization for help.  They did more x-rays and guess what?  The joint was still bone on bone. lol  The ortho refused to do a TKR(aka total knee replacement)on me due to my weight/BMI and only offered to continue giving me shots.  He said I had to lose 40 lbs. before he'd even consider surgery.  Well, I had already lost 100 lbs. over the previous years, had cruises bought and paid for coming up and my son was getting married so I couldn't be out of commission for up to 1 year with a knee surgery at that time. Plus I have spinal stenosis which was taken 2 inches off my height which has made my BMI weight even worse.

The cruises came and went and the wedding took place in Feb. of 2022 and we started working on the house in order to sell it, then the packing to move happened.  We moved down here Fall of 2022(I got a shot before we left PA)and I figured I'd look into surgery and dropping more weight once we got settled.  Well, "settled" didn't happen once I had that 2022 Xmas eve leg wound at Sissie's house.  Then I was in Wound Care for almost 3 months trying to get that injury closed and healed up.  After finishing with the Wound Care folks I could barely walk since I had to spend most of that 3 months reclining in a chair, which had the muscles around my bad knee atrophying, which made my knee mobility even worse.  Went to my NP at the end of March(had to use a wheelchair to get me into the office as I was immobile at that point)and she gave me a knee shot.  It took 3 days for my knee to move again after that.  

In April I contacted what I thought was a good orthopedist down here.  He said if I lost some more weight he'd do the TKR surgery.  Then he looked at the healed up wound on my shin and declared, "I don't know.  You could lose your leg if I do this TKR and it gets infected."  Then he offered me a knee shot(knowing full well that I had to be 3 months out from any kind of steroid shot to have the surgery.)  I got the feeling that he didn't want to do the TKR on me, even if I lost more weight.

I went back a month later, after losing more weight, and he didn't see a problem with my shin wound now but trying to be upfront about all my medical stuff, I told him about my then recent initial Essential Tremor diagnosis and that the neurologist wanted me to have a brain MRI in July.  Suddenly, the surgeon said he had to see the MRI result before he's put me on the schedule for surgery.  Shutdown again.  He also didn't raise an issue with me being on a biologic drug that suppresses my immune system which raised a red flag with ME.  In addition I found out he uses one of the many robotic surgery aids, which means your incision is open longer than if the surgeon does it the old fashioned way with his own hands. Hmmm.
So again, he would not put me on the surgery schedule.  I swear(and Hubs agreed)that he had no intention of doing a TKR on me as at every visit there was a new roadblock(and multiple offers of giving me a steroid injection).


The neurologist in question did NOT get back to me for a full month after the MRI was done and this orthopedist did NOT reach out and follow up with me after this April appointment.  Again, he offered me a knee shot at this appointment.  If I had waited on the neurologist and this surgeon I would still be hobbling around in pain.

I had a telehealth appointment later that same day of my last visit with the local orthopedist ,with a TKR surgeon outside of Columbus OH.  We had the option through our health insurance to use one of their COE(Centers of Excellence), teams of elite joint replacement surgeons around the country(places like the Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, etc.).  Top notch surgeons.  I had to apply and wait for one of these surgeons to accept my case.  Then they fly you there, put you up in a nearby hotel and pay for everything(from Uber rides to meals to DME needed to the price of the surgery). I had one of the Columbus OH surgeons accept me as a TKR patient.  So I had the phone appointment with him that same day.  Even with my other health issues which were all under control he didn't see a problem with doing my TKR.  I asked a lot of questions.  Among them whether he used a robotic aid in surgery.  He did not and as a person with a lot of common sense felt that surgeons used them because they were a new "toy" and surgeons like toys.  There is not empirical evidence yet that using a robotic arm in surgery gives the patient a better result he said.  He also brought up the immunity suppressing biologic drug I was taking and that I'd have to be off that for up to 4 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after surgery.  I crossed my fingers that my HS would stay in remission for 2 months and agreed to stop taking that drug.  So this surgeon had no problem with taking me on for a TKR, even after I told him about my neurological issues, the brain MRI, etc.

The Ohio operation was top notch and on the ball.  We got all the forms and paperwork done and I attempted to get my then PCP to order labs and an EKG within a month of the scheduled date of the  surgery.

Had the labs and EKG and had them faxed to the Clinical Assistant for the surgeon in OH.  I got a phone call from the CA the next day.  My labs were great but the EKG was unacceptable.  I knew when the nurse was doing it in the office it was not going to be good enough.  The CA said we'll keep you on the surgery schedule but you have to resolve this EKG issue asap.  So I messaged the PCP office, slightly panicked, and demanded they refer me to a cardiologist for a new EKG.  The PCP KNEW going in this was a clearance for surgery so why didn't they send me to a Cardiologist to begin with?  I got in with a cardiologist and they ran me through 4 different heart tests(EKG, chemical Stress test, and 2 ultra sounds-one before the stress test and one after).  The Cardiologist called me early that same evening himself to tell me I was AOK for surgery and they faxed my results to OH.

I found out later that the Clinical Assistant called my then PCP after receiving the abnormal EKG and asked them since they had a patient with an abnormal EKG what they planned to do as a follow up.  She was told they had no plans to retest or address the issue further.  Nice, right?  That's what you get when a medical organization gives a 64 year old woman to a Pediatrician as a patient!

Now as far as I knew, in the state of Louisiana, in order to get an order for PT(after surgery)you had to have a LA doctor write the prescription.  At least that is what I was told by the PT office where I had been going in July/August for my lower back pain.  My then PCP had agreed to write the PT order and had given me an appointment for a wound check about 10 days after I returned from surgery in OH.

A week and a half before flying to OH I am out of refills for one of my prescriptions so Walmart(where I get my Rxs filled)contacted my PCPs office to get her to refill the drug.  I waited 3 days, called the pharmacy and still they hadn't heard from her, so I messaged her office on the patient portal requesting the drug be refilled.  Another 3 days with no response so I am in Walmart anyway so I go ask at the pharmacy if the dr. had gotten back to them.  She had not.  I tell them to send another request.  Call Walmart a few days later and still no response from the doctor.  So I send yet another message through the portal and ask if there is a problem here?  I've had the pharmacy send 2 requests and I've messaged twice with no response over the course of more than a week. Can I please get my drug refilled?

Then later that day I get a phone call, from someone identifying herself as "Shelby".  Now this is not the PCP or her nurse and I have never dealt with anyone at this facility by that name.  I don't know if she's a doctor, NP, PA, nurse, receptionist, janitor, someone in the waiting room they paid $10 to to make this call or a hitman.
"Shelby" proceeds to tell me my PCP is firing me and no longer wants to treat me because I am "unprofessional".

Seems to me a PCP who doesn't give a patient enough notice and in writing, especially a patient who was flying to OH for surgery in less than a week, is unethical, immoral and considered patient abandonment and this PCP is the unprofessional one.

My wound check appointment immediately disappeared on the portal and the PCP was not going to write me a PT order.  She just dropped me cold, knowing this would put my surgery in jeopardy.  Nice.

Hubs and I flew into panic mode as the surgeon needed PT arranged and the wound check before surgery.  Luckily we also had through our insurance a telehealth PT outfit.  Hubs called them and found out, a doctor in any state can write a PT order and have it filled in any other state by a licensed facility.  The PT facility I had dealt with for my lower back pain had a policy of only taking PT orders from LA doctors but that was very unusual come to find out.  So we found a PT facility closer to where we live and set up sessions for when I got back from OH.

I also had to find a new PCP and I went outside of the medical organization the ex-PCP was part of, as I have found it lacking in so many ways.  I found a doctor who wasn't primarily a Pediatrician by trade and set up an initial visit in October.
But I still needed someone to do a wound check as I didn't think it would be a good call to have a brand new PCP do it at my first visit.

First Hubs reached out to the orthopedist I had been seeing here, as I was his patient since April.  He explained the situation to the doc's nurse and asked if he'd do an incision check, that's all.  The nurse called back the next day and said the Doc would NOT do this one small thing.  She kept saying he "can't" do it.  After she reiterated this statement 4 times as he pleaded with her, Hubs got fed up and told her, "Stop saying he CAN'T do it, the fact is he could do it but he just WON'T do it!" and hung up.

At PT I found out that if one doctor does a surgery on you, around here, no other surgeon will do a follow-up or revision if something goes wrong.  Basically, the surgeon in OH now "owns" that knee.  If something ever happens to that knee and I need care for it, I would have to go back to OH and see him.

So I reached out to our old NP at that shit show clinic we left.  She is a lovely person, more than competent NP and she set me up with an appointment for a wound check and it was so nice to see her again.  As far as medical personnel I've dealt with in Louisiana, she is the only one I trust(the jury is still out on the new PCP).

Now that I am past all this crap and well on my way to TKR healing I am considering suing that old PCP(the Pediatrician who wants to do well baby checks and give vaccinations). At the least I'll be sending a scathing letter to the CEO of that medical organization.

And that's just what went on with the surgeon.  I've got more tales to tell about the worthless Dermatologist and the incompetent Neurologist I've had to deal with down here.

Some story, huh?


Sluggy


15 comments:

  1. I am sort of going through the same thing but on a much serious level. However, at the rate I am going, my situation could be dire. I have had Tommy go into every appointment except for the gyno exam. He is a jewel.

    Every time he hears some of the garbage/weird/unprofessional things, I ask him if I did something wrong. Am I being unreasonable or off-putting. He does not think so and would tell me.
    My knee that was injured is bone on bone, and I can still walk. I now wonder why. Of course, my lower spine is bone on bone and I can only walk about a minute.
    Reading your ordeal validates my feelings and what I have gone through. Sorry you are facing all this. At 77 it is getting to be a moral issue. I feel defeated. The woman sitting at home answering the phone like she just got up from a nap refuses to give my np at cardiologist a message except for saying I refuse to reveal my ordeal. So, no contact with cardiologist. Well, did not mean to go on and on. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthcare is a sh$& show. I blame it on the pharmaceutical corporate greed and the greed of the stockholders as well as the hospital corporations. I read that Humana is being sued for using artificial intelligence (AI) to deny rehabilitation services to elderly patients, rehab that their physician had ordered. Apparently, Humana was using algorithms (generated by AI) as when to grant and deny rehabilitation services that the elderly patient’s physician had ordered. Lots of cases! Yikes!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sluggy, this is Chris. You have really been through the wringer. It is discouraging to know that the health care situation there is not great. I am glad, though, that the actual surgery in OH went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jre what a miserable incompetent situation. I’m just a nurse but in my home care business we have to give a 30 day notice and assist in competent transition for any client. Or you’re right neglect/abandonment. I’m feeling kind of good one month out of my TKR. Still some days of such aching. Feels like a tight belt around my knee. I’m never a compliant person ha! But have been about 95% with my PT and home exercise as I don’t want this misery to be for nothing! Does it feel like you’re lugging around a wooden leg sometimes? And my sleep is still terrible! I do hope everything else goes smoother for you! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems there is a common theme here. If everyone else is ALWAYS the problem, maybe the problem isn't everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, "I" am not always the problem. It's the state of healthcare in Louisiana. I guess my standards of care are higher than what the folks around here are use to accepting. Doctors are gods to most in this state and they dare not question medical personnel or attempt to advocate for themselves.

      Delete
    2. Fair game of the doctor needed to fire you. Why should they have to deal with much of what you've shared.

      Delete
    3. I don't blame the baby doctor for dropping me but the way in which it was handled was horrible and far from professional. In fact, they should NEVER had assigned me to a pediatrician in the fist place!
      She should have(if she was professional about it)
      voiced at our first visit that maybe she wasn't the right fit for me and sent me to one of her colleagues at that facility. But no, she promised to wound check me AND write a PT script and then renigged on it and had someone unknown to me inform me via phone. Dropping a patient should be done in writing with enough notice for the patient to find a new medical provider. Done less than a week of my surgery put me at risk of getting the surgery and is considered patient abandonment! You need to read up on medical and legal issues....

      Delete
  6. What troubles you have had. So many more hoops in the U.S. with your insurance. It isn’t uncommon at all for one surgeon to not see/refuse to see another surgeons patient for follow up. In any specialty where I’m from. Especially ortho. Even though it’s “a knee replacement” there’s a 100 ways to do it with dozens of different tool makers and implant types. Surgeon A might have only trained with “widgets” and Surgeon B only knows “gizmos”. And if B needed to operate he wouldn’t have any widgets on hand. It would cost$$$ to bring them and a rep from the widget makers to help him out. And he wouldn’t know the “approach” that A used.
    What I do find odd is that the OH doc didn’t offer or give a list of associates that would be close to you. Also trained like him with widgets.
    Even only a wound check (which I doubt is worth the $$ for them) they won’t.
    Around here you can only get 3 cortisone injections. My ortho said that is maximum for a joint.
    I hope that you start feeling better, more each day. And my unsolicited advice for next time you fly for medical : pay the difference and go first class. The reason you save money is to use it when you need to or want to. Be good to yourself.
    Merry Christmas Sluggy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B-Kat had we known well in advance what the airline seat assignments were, I would have upgraded them on my own dime, but alas we weren't given that info in time to make a change.
      As this surgeon is in Ohio they aren't use to seeing someone so far away from there and he had no one in this part of LA to refer me to for follow up. I am just glad I finally got the TKR. It was a long time coming. Merry Christmas to you too! 8-)

      Delete
    2. Planes seating assignment policy is easily on their website. You can find it well in advance. Odd thing to blame others for.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous, the tickets were purchased through an entity used by the third party insurer. Didn't get the info on the seat assignment until days before the flight and there were no empty seats at that point. Soo, couldn't rebook or change as I am not God.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sluggy. I sent you an email on Dec 8th. Just following up to see if you actually got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, yes I got it, thank you. I just haven't had time to answer you. Maybe this weekend..... ;-)

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, you are definitely a survivor...what a total ordeal you went through! Very scary medical care there..yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.