Tuesday, February 9, 2021

This Week on the Dining Table

 The "Time for Some Soup" Edition....


                                  


I got cheap chicken thighs at the grocery outlet last Thursday and with our bitter cold I made a pot of chicken and rice soup on Sunday.  I threw in some wild rice and cut up baby carrots(as those were getting long in the tooth)celery, onions and a small can of mushroom pieces as well.  I threw in the last of a bag of basmati rice to use it up and as you can see it was a bit "too much" rice. lol
It's a good hearty soup but it's a full Dutch Oven of soup which will take us forever to eat down.  I'll be putting some of the soup into the freezer for next month or so.  Now I need to learn to make soup for two from scratch if that's possible. lol

Onward to the meal planning!

Moving On....
1. Sunday--Chicken w/BBQ sauce, leftover Brussels Sprouts or Broccoli in cheese sauce
2. Monday--Leftovers-various
3. Tuesday--Corn Chowder, Cornbread
4. Wednesday--Ham slices and Veggies TBD
5. Thursday--Hubs cooks or Leftovers
6.  Friday--More Leftovers
7. Saturday--No Clue yet

And this is what really happened.......
1. Sunday--Chicken w/BBQ sauce, leftover Brussels Sprouts or Broccoli in cheese sauce
2. Monday--Take-out Pizza, Salad
3. Tuesday--?
4. Wednesday--?
5. Thursday--Hubs cooks
6.  Friday--More Leftovers
7. Saturday--?

Last week saw ? night of home cooked dinners, ?nights of leftovers/planned overs or no dinner, FFY, and 0 nights of Take-Out/Eating Out.
Other than Sunday and Monday I haven't a clue what we ate.  Seriously, no clue since I didn't keep track during the week last week.
Must have been some very memorable meals(not)! lolz

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 3 packs of Nathan's hot dogs

What got taken out of the freezer and used...
*  1 chicken breast
* 1 box of broccoli in cheese sauce
*  No clue what else

We spent $10.72 on food/toiletries/HBA/paper goods last week.  $2.30 at CVS and $8.42 at the Discount Grocery Outlet on mostly produce. This brings our food/toiletries/paper goods Grand Total to $10.72 for February.

There are 21 shopping days left in February.  More snow all this week so I don't know how much if any shopping I'll get done.

I've earned $2.20 on Ibotta in February.
I've earned $00 on Checkout51 in February.
I've earned $00 on Coupons dotcom/Paypal in February.
I've earned 88 points from shopping on Fetch in February.
I've earned 0 point from food shopping on Shop Kick in February.
I've earned 0 points from food shopping on Swagbucks in February.

My savings percentage for last week was 81.67%(without "regular" Rite-Aid trips)for Febuary and the monthly savings total for Febuary comes in at 81.67%.(w/out R-A). 

Leftovers going into this week--cole slaw, garlic bread, 3 manicotti.   No food waste again last week.  But few leftovers means lots of cooking this week(or lots of soup consuming). ;-)

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Chicken w/Wild Rice Soup, Cheddar Drop Biscuits
2. Monday--Kielbasi, Baked Beans, Grilled Onions
3. Tuesday--Salmon, Potatoes au Gratin, Saute Cabbage
4. Wednesday--Ham slices, Asparagus, leftover au Gratin Taters
5. Thursday--Hubs cooks or Leftovers
6.  Friday--Leftover Soup w/Cornbread
7. Saturday--Chicken Tenders, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Glazed Carrots

What needs buying for this menu?  Not a thing.  I'm defrosting a dinner ham then I'll slice/dice up what is left after we have a meal of it, and put it back in the freezer for another time.  Some of the Chicken Wild Rice soup will also go into the freezer after we eat on that 3 times or so.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  Not such great deals here unless I go to the discount food outlet.

Sluggy




8 comments:

  1. Soup for two is an impossibility so don't even try to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup! Its my favourite part of winter. We went right off our plan last week, bought Chinese take-away which was expensive but it tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My taco soup was "rice rich" and delicious. If I don't make beef/veg soup soon, it will be warm out. or warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why cook for two when you can freeze and use food in the future? Besides, when something is good, I don't mind eating it a few days in a row.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never put in too much rice. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soup for two doesn't happen here either. LOL I have soup in the freezer right now from my last batch too. But it is so good and comforting in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made Indian food and mushroom pasta on Sunday so we’ve had that all week. Tonight is veggie burritos so we have options the next few days.

    I also used the last bag of mystery soup in the freezer yesterday. Sometimes I forget to label and once sent my husband to work with a bowl of defrosted gravy. It looked just like potato soup.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the laugh this morning, gravy soup! :D

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.