Monday, January 11, 2016

This Week on the Dining Table

It's the "Strange Dinner Combination" Edition--

On Thursday I fixed an assortment of foods people usually don't eat at the same meal.
First I had a crab meat and a container of half n' half I bought before Xmas to use up so I made a crab bisque soup.....


Then I doctored up a can of black eyed peas with onions, garlic and salt cured ham pieces so they were edible.  We hadn't had our New Year's BEPS yet so this ticked off that requirement....yes, in the South it is de rigeur to eat BEPS at the new year for good luck..........


And I was going to purchase a pre-made Broccoli Cheese Gratin that I saw Weis had on clearance after the Holidays for $4.99 to serve on Thursday since College Boy is fond of this food.  When I went to the store to buy it, they were all gone so I came home and took a bag of frozen broccoli, toasted some Panko crumbs, grated some cheese and used half of the roux/crab soup base(before adding seafood stock to it and the crab and seasonings)and used that as a cheese sauce base to make my own broccoli casserole, no preservatives added version of that dish...........




Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week.......

1. Sunday--Chicken Parmesan, Brussels Sprouts
2. Monday--Steak Sandwiches(using leftover Prime Rib)
3. Tuesday--Haddock Loins(fish), Mixed Veggies, Cole Slaw
4. Wednesday--Beef Stew w/Beer(using leftover Prime Rib)
5. Thursday--Lasagna, Salad
6. Friday--Fried Shrimp, Cole Slaw, Steak Fries, Corn
7. Saturday--Leftovers

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Chicken Parmesan, Brussels Sprouts
2. Monday--Steak Sandwiches(using leftover Prime Rib)
3. Tuesday--Beef Stew w/Beer(using leftover Prime Rib), leftover dinner rolls
4. Wednesday--Pepper and Onions Sausages on Rolls, Tossed Salad
5. Thursday--Crab Soup, Black Eyed Peas, Broccoli Cheese Gratin
6. Friday--Leftovers or Fend for Yourself(I had a can of soup)
7. Saturday--Spaghetti with Meatballs and Sausage in Sauce, Tossed Salad, Garlic Bread

6 meals cooked at home(4 new meals and 2 using up leftovers in new dishes)and 1 night of boring old leftover leftovers. 8-)
Everything planned was served, except for no Lasagna or Fried Shrimp as I had a container of crab meat to use up and I bought UTOF(Use Today Or Freezer)Pepper and Onions Sausages last week which we used some of those.

I had to do something with all that ground beef I bought last Monday so I made a batch of 74 meatballs up, baked and used 27 with 1/3 of the large package of Italian sausage gotten for .91¢ lb. last Monday at Weis to make a Spaghetti dinner on Saturday instead of having that this coming week. The fish moved to Sunday dinner(which technically is This week).

As for my grocery spending last week......$135.03 and that's counting the CVS spending.  This includes 4 trips to Weis, 1 to local grocery in town South of here and 1 item bought at local Shursave market. A goodly portion($50.08)of this spending was for food/tp to send back to school with College Boy this coming weekend.  I have $164.97 left in the January food budget to spend.  This week will see very low spending on groceries but more spending for CB's needs.

Leftovers going into this week......beef stew, crab soup, broccoli black eyed peas, spaghetti, meatballs and Italian sausage.

Here is this week's "food plan"--

1. Sunday--Cod Loins(fish), Cole Slaw, Mandarin Blend Veggies
2. Monday--Leftovers
3. Tuesday--Chicken TBA, Veggies TBA(not sure exactly what dishes yet)
4. Wednesday--Chili(from freezeer)(I'll have leftovers or soup)
5. Thursday--Turkey Roulade and Stuffing(from freezer), Butternut Squash
6. Friday--Fried Shrimp(from freezer), Cole Slaw, Steak Fries, Corn
7. Saturday--Leftovers or Take-Out

This week will see 3 new meals cooked and 4 meals of leftovers.

What I need to buy for this menu?  Potatoes.
I also need eggs and onions this week and to pick up some more items for CB to take back to school.
There is also 1 Deal I want to do at Weis which will net me 4 jugs of bleach and a mega pack of bacon for $5 OOP.

$20 should cover my needs as I will buy a 10 lb. bag of onions and 2 dozen eggs on sale and a small bag of potatoes(as we don't eat that much taters)and do that 1 Deal.  CB's needs will run about $50.

After College Boy leaves next weekend my food spending should calm down a lot.  While I have been using some of what is already in the freezer we will buckle down into freezer-mode even more.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. I think I said this before--meat loaf, crockpot chicken, and lots of vegetables will be the basis of meals. Of course, with Cuties around, I sometimes eat those instead of a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meal is so like a meal I would serve! I think we must be related!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.