Friday, March 5, 2010

What to Do with Leftover Ground Beef Meals?...make Enchiladas!

So what do you do with leftover meatballs and a slice or two of leftover meatloaf?
That was my problem earlier this week, as we had both of these leftovers from last week's menu.

My solution was to make Beef Enchiladas.

First I took the meatballs and meatloaf leftovers and crumbled them up.  I took chopped onion(about 1/2 cup)and sweated them in some olive oil.  I had a can of chopped green chilles so I added that to the mix once the onions were translucent.
 Next I made the Enchilada Sauce.  You can see the recipe HERE.  You can also use a canned sauce if you prefer.
Take a large roasting pan and coat the bottom of the pan with the Enchilada Sauce.

Next I gathered the other ingredients I needed....flour tortillas, grated cheese(cheddar and montery jack), a can of refried beans, and the enchilada sauce and meat filling.
Then it was just a matter of plopping some meat, some beans and cheese onto a tortilla and rolling it up, placing it in the roasting pan.
Cover the enchiladas with sauce....
Top with grated cheese....
Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and here's what comes out....

 Each enchilada serves 1 hungry person, so this pan served 5.  Young children would probably only eat 1/2 of an enchilada.  I usually make 6 in a pan but someone ate one of my tortillas.lol

Optional...Serve with lettuce, tomato, guacamole or sliced avocado and sour cream.

My Cost Breadown
enchilada sauce  $.80
tortillas   $1.00
meat filling  $0-leftovers
1 can green chillies  $.16
1 can refried beans  $.50
2 blocks of cheese  $2.50
Total....$4.96

Since I didn't use all the meat filling, the leftover meat is being reinvented Again tonight in Tacos!
Meatballs, Meatloaf, Enchiladas, Tacos....That's 4 meals out of 2.75lbs. of ground beef.

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm...Now I am hungry for enchiladas! I may have to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 it!! This is the best blog post out there today :) I think this is what's for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a frugal inspiration!!! That is the best compliment that I can give.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.