Friday, March 5, 2010

Easy Enchilada Sauce....Make it Yourself and Save $$$!

Before you reach for that can of icky overpriced Enchilada Sauce at the grocery store again, give this recipe a try!
Here's what you need to make it....
Red Enchilada Sauce

2 TB Oil(I use Olive/Canola but reg. Veggie is fine)
2 TB Flour(any kind)
2 TB Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 8oz. can Tomato Sauce(I use pureed Tomato)*I had leftover tomato paste/sauce so I dumped that in too.*
2 Cups Water
1 tsp Salt(I use Sea Salt)
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

Heat your oil in a large saucepan(2 qt. or larger).
Stir in Flour and Chili Powder; cook for 1 minute.
 

Add your Tomato Sauce/Puree.



Add your spices.

Now add the water.
Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
It's ready to use!

This recipe makes enough for 1 meal's worth(a pan of enchiladas).  If you noticed in the photo of the ingredients, my tomato puree is a lot bigger than 8 oz.  I always make a double or quadruple batch when I make the sauce.  Just double or quadruple the ingredients.  I always make enough to freeze or to make a second batch of enchiladas for the freezer.

You can adjust the proportions to taste....more chili powder for spicier, less salt for less saltiness, etc.  I've even put some large chunks of peppers(poblanos)in the sauce for added flavor.

It's really just tomato products, flour, spices and water.  So easy to make so don't pay what they charge for it in the store....especially if you don't have a coupon and it's not on sale!lol

Cost Breakdown....
$.30 Spices
$.01 Flour
$.39 can of Tomato Sauce
$.10 Oil(Olive, Veggie would be less)
$0  Water

Total....$.80 per meal

I'll be posting my Leftover Enchiladas Meal that used this sauce in a bit.

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Thank you - I've been looking for a good, easy recipe for this - especially since DH used the last can we had last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy! And so inexpensive! I would have to go buy cumin to make this. Hmmmm... I guess I can put that on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bookmarked this one. Sounds like it would taste better than store-bought, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.