Thursday, December 10, 2009

Stuff....Yes, Assorted Stuff

Remember when I said I didn't remember going to the local mom & pop grocery store this past weekend because I was overcome with a flu fog?
Well I just found the proof of the trip--the receipt!  So hubby hasn't been pulling my leg about this after all.lol
For someone who doesn't even remember going, I sure bought quite a few things!  My receipt is 2 feet long. 8-)
I don't have a photo but here is what I bought....

4 x Betty Crocker Potato Pouches on sale for $.80=$3.20
I used 4 $.35/1 Qs that doubled to $.70, paying $.10 for each=$.40

4 x Herr's Potato Chips(something I don't buy much but they were 1/2 off) $1.14 a bag=$4.56
No Qs but 50% off.

6 x Snow's Clams reg. $1.69 on sale 50% off! at $.84=$5.04
I used 3 $1/2 Qs, paying $.34 for each=$2.04

4 x Progresso Mushroom Soup.  All that Progresso Soup I got free from Acme last month and not one can of Mushroom, my favorite! Humph.  Reg. price $2.19, tt was on sale 50% off at $1.09=$4.36
I used 1 $1/4 Q, paying $.84 each=$3.36

4 x Dr. Oetker's Pizza on sale for $2.99 each=$11.96
I used 4 $2/1 Qs, paying $.99 each=$3.97

2 x Trop50 OJ on sale for $2.50 each=$5.00
I used 1 $1/2 Q, paying $2.00 each=$4.00

Hubby bought a hunk of liverwurst at the Deli for hiding the dog's pills in=$3.77  He should have bought a smaller hunk but I wasn't there to supervise.lol

1 x Milk 1/2 gal. for $1.68(no Qs)rounds out the order.

Total Value...$66.41
Total after Sales...$39.57
Total after Coupons...$23.77
Total after Cashier rang up 1 $.70Q twice...$23.07 OOP

Not bad for the flu, huh?lol

Has anyone tried those Dr. Oetker's Pizzas yet?  We prepared a few this past weekend.  I must say they are quite small and the crust is thin, so if you like thin crust, you'll like these.  I love mushrooms but the box is offputting on the mushroom pizza variety.  It's a german company and they refer to mushrooms as FUNGHI on the box.  Yah, not very appetizing to an American consumer when you call it that.  I added carmelized onions and roasted red peppers to my 'funghi' pizza and it was edible then.

So I was still not quite back to 'full strength' on Tuesday but the family was wasting away from not having a 'proper' dinner since last week.  Though hubby does try his darnedest to fill in, in the meal making category when I'm not up to it, and I love that about him, everyone was pretty tired of eating food out of boxes, if you know what I mean.

So in the fine old tradition of 'throwing stuff together that is laying around the kitchen/freezer/pantry', I got out some frozen chicken breasts, took the 'almost too late to save them' fresh funghi...er, I mean mushrooms out of the produce drawer and threw them in the crockpot.  I then found a bottle of this in the pantry that was about to go past the sell by date....

....A bottle of Kraft Honey Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing.  I poured 1/2 the bottle over the chicken and turned the crockpot up to Hi.
About an hour before I planned to serve the chicken, I poured a box of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mix in along with the included seasoning packet, then turned the pot down to Low.
As #2 son doesn't care for mushrooms and there wasn't enough rice in 1 box to satisfy the whole family's hunger, I cooked up a Knorr's Rice Sides bag as well.  I cooked up some fresh frozen Cauliflower I got from the Flea Market farm vendor in October and we had a very yummy meal.

I just wanted to alert ya'll that this Honey Dijon Dressing is great as a Marinade/Sauce for chicken.  I prefer it used in this was, rather than as a Salad Dressing actually.  Not bad for something that cost 8 CENTS after coupon!

Since I didn't get around to a Meal Plan Monday menu for the week, I've been playing catch up all week...usually standing in the kitchen around noon each day and trying to pull a plan together for that evening.  I am here to tell you that planning a a wee bit further ahead is much less stressful!lol

Wednesday night was fried fish, hush puppies, kraft mac&cheez dinner and corn. 
Thursday will be Taco Night and Friday night will be Turkey Sloppy Joes on Rolls and Coleslaw.
The only thing I need to buy is some cabbage for the coleslaw and some more milk as I haven't been to the grocery store since last Saturday.
The weekend meal plan?
Not.
A.
Clue.
I'll start fresh on next Monday. ;-)

I spent a total of $45.27 at Walmart(mostly on 2lbs. of a deli cheese we love that nobody else carries), Weis and the local mom&pop Grocery Store last week.
This week so far I've spent $11.26 at Target and Rite-Aid, and of that, I'll be getting $10.58 in SCRs back, so I've spent $.68 total for this week.

I think I'm all caught up now...

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're feeling better! And that's hysterical about the grocery trip you don't remember - you did really well with sales and Qs, tho :) Good to know you can come up with good deals on total auto-pilot, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken sounds amazing! When will you come cook for me? I can never just throw things together and make it turn out that good! I'll have to remember that next time I have no clue what to make!

    Glad to hear you're feeling better btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome, now I am going to have to try it. Thanks, Chatty Girl

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.