Friday, August 26, 2016

2016 Food & Toiletries Spending......August Update

* I've closed out the August books a couple of days early as I am done shopping.  Anything bought in the next 5 days will come out of September's funds. *

Onward to August's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for AUGUST 2016.

I have posted August,s totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2016 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.  I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in August.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 5(5 at home this month). No kids under 20.

******************

BAKERY OUTLET
OOP  $18.00
Value  $79.22
Savings   77.28%

BERGER'S FARM STAND
OOP  $6.00
Value  $20.44
Savings  70.65%

MAINE SOURCE
OOP  $151.90
Qs/Ads  $113.27
Value  $265.17
Savings  42.71%

PRICE CHOPPER
OOP  $28.50
Qs/Ads  $15.06
Value  $43.56
Savings  34.57%

SHURSAVE MARKET
OOP  $75.83
Qs/Ads $37.65
Value  $113.48
Savings  33.18%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $177.04
Qs/Ads  $141.29
Value  $358.43
Savings  44.38%

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Bakery Outlet at 77.28%, the Farm Stand at 70.65% and Weis Markets at 44.38%.  My WORST savings rate was the Shursave Market at 33.18%
I shopped at 6 different stores this past month.
I did NO Rite-Aid shopping in August!  Don't faint.... ;-)


TOTAL Out of Pocket..........$457.27
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$423.03
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$880.30
TOTAL Savings of...................................48.05%


This closes out the August food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into August wanting to do a $500 food budget for the month.  I ended up spending $42.73 less than that so stayed under budget, finally!

Again I am still trying to find the spending sweet spot.  I thought I was there but now CB is leaving so there is one less adult and I am back to struggling to find that balance.

At least my savings rate is up to 48.05% which is better than July's rate.
The monthly food spending savings percentage went up by 1.11% in August to 48.05% compared to July's 46.94% savings average.
I'll take that savings rate all day long!

With 8 months accounted for, I have spent a total of $2836.49 on food/toiletries so far in 2016 which averages out to $354.56 per month spent.  This is $14.67 higher per month than the average in July was.
But then again, I am feeding 2 extra people this year so that increase is not so bad.


LOOKING AHEAD To September 2016.........

I will continue with my usual shopping ways in September....buy loss leaders or great deals which we can use, use a few coupons, cash in points for gift cards or buy discounted gift cards to food stores when possible.
I am going to give myself $400 for September.  College Boy is back at school so we are down to feeding 4 adults so $100 per person should be a good amount.

If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in August?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I've already blown the budget for August. To much family visiting/birthdays and BBQs. Better luck in September hopefully. Glad you finally found the budget number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my food spending in check by carefully perusing all ads, even drugstores. Then, I price-match at Walmarts. Since my money ran out before the month ran out, I am just not buying any of the bargains this week except for the black grapes for $0.88/lb. I got less than one pound.

    Also, when I am offered free produce, I use it up or put it up. There is always canned food, but I won't have to use that since I have tomatoes and potatoes and salad greens and cooked chicken breast and tuna to put in salads. I still have green grapes, carrots, slaw mix and other things I bought with the end of the month in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't hit my $300 target nor $50 household goal despite being gone 8 days. Some splurges did me in. I think I'll finish at $425 but on a note, eating out was virtually will for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am way, way over budget BUT, I have taken serious advantage of the brand new grocery store located just minutes from my home, grabbing some awesome loss leaders, including meats. I recently replaced my stand freezer (was never happy with it), returning to a chest freezer. Since I never felt that items on the door were frozen enough, I had stopped using that part for storage, so I downsized when ordering the chest freezer. I planned appropriately. : ) The new freezer us full, I anticipated eating it down these upcoming months. I've already spent all of Sept's monies so am now allocating funds spent to Oct to keep me in check. I also bought my canning tomatoes, but those were cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Though I moderate it's partly to keep spam out but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.