Monday, June 15, 2015

This Week on the Dining Table


It's the "Getting Too Hot to Run the Oven" Edition-- 

This past week was muggy and humid so running the oven was not an option most days.  It's about time to drag out the crockpot again,, fire up the outdoor grill and/or revert to cold dishes.
 
Onward to the meal planning!
 
Here's what was planned last week.......
 
1. Sunday--Garlic Ginger Shrimp Stir-fry, Rice
2. Monday--Lasagna w/Meat Sauce, Tossed Salad
3. Tuesday--Sausage Sandwiches, Brussels Sprouts
4. Wednesday--Tacos or Taco Salad
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Smoked Brisket Sandwiches(cooked brisket in freezer), Cole Slaw, Green Beans
7. Saturday--Leftovers
 
And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Garlic Ginger Shrimp Stir-fry, Rice
2. Monday--Lasagna w/Meat Sauce, Tossed Salad
3. Tuesday--Sausage Sandwiches, Brussels Sprouts
4. Wednesday--Tacos or Taco Salad
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Chicken Green Chiles Enchiladas
7. Saturday--Leftovers

Everything as planned except no brisket sammies on Friday.  I had all that cooked/grilled chicken breast to use up.  I made chicken salad for a couple of lunches for myself and then got tired of it so I decided to make enchiladas with the rest.
These are a "production" to make since I make my sauce from scratch with dried chiles but the chicken was already cooked so I just spent a chunk of Friday cranking this dish out.  I made 2 pans(6 large enchiladas).  Hubs ate 1.5 and I had a half of one, leaving a pan of 4 enchiladas as leftovers.

College Boy comes home from work Friday night with his buddy(who slept over)and they ate 3 of those 4 enchiladas at 2am.(The next night they finished off the remaining enchilada, some of my pan of leftover lasagna, 3/4 of a hunk of garlic bread I bought 50%off at Weis on Friday, 2-3 grilled cheese sammiches and 2 cans of tomato soup.)  Supposedly the restaurant where they work feeds them each shift but I have my doubts.  lolz

So much for NOT upping my grocery budget while CB is home!

Luckily I kept some of that chicken and threw it into the freezer and there is leftover enchilada sauce so I can make a few more enchiladas this week as that pan of them the boys ate was a "planned-over".

As for my grocery spending last week....ouch!
I spent $181.09 on $338.61 of reg. retail food-2 trips to Weis, 1 each to Dollar Tree, Sam's Club, Shursave grocer and Kmart. There was also 1 trip to Rite-Aid for toiletries.  46.52% savings rate on what I bought or 49.86% savings rate including the Rite-Aid goodies.
I also earned a $5 gift card at Weis for doing the Nabisco/Coke deal(and CB has cookies and cokes to last a couple of weeks).
The food spending is already up to $366.96 for June and we are only halfway in the month!

I only plan on hitting my 2 local stores(once each this wee)for oss leaders and maybe a trip to Ollies(Good Stuff Cheap!)later in the week as I have a discount card that expires on Sunday.

Hopefully I can restrain myself enough to not see the backside of $500 food spending this month since July won't be pretty either. 
Oldest will be coming home next month so we can trip to NC but he'll be hanging out here a goodly portion of the month otherwise before he begins his new job down South.....and that means more mouths to feed.
But in true Scarlett O'Hara fashion I'll just think about that tomorrow. ;-)

Leftovers going into this week--2 sausage sammies patties, lasagna, maybe some taco meat.
 
Here is this week's food plan--

1. Sunday--Steak(bought last week), Green Beans, Grilled Pineapple
2. Monday--Hot Dogs(freezer) on rolls, Beans
3. Tuesday--Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Leftovers or Pizza or Pork Chops(freezer) or ?
5. Thursday--Flounder(freezer), Cole Slaw, Veg TBD
6. Friday--Smoked Brisket(freezer) on rolls, Cole Slaw, Green Beans or l/o Baked Beans
7. Saturday--Chicken Enchiladas

What I need to buy for this menu?.....cabbage for Cole slaw, pizza.

This coming week should be a light shopping one. 
The deals I plan on doing this week.....Weis-bagged Perdue chicken 40% off, maybe a couple of DiGiorno pizzas(on sale and I have a Q)for CB and some G2 Gatorades for me, Shursave grocery-cheese deal but I have a $10 store scrip to use so little cash OOP there.
$40 spending planned not included any deals I find at Ollie's.
 
What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?    

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten that week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week? 

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. How about using a Crockpot, place it in the cellar or garage, on a covered porch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not miss having a teenage boy to feed. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.