Monday, June 1, 2015

I'm Baaack!--This Week on the Dining Table


It's the "Back Home & Don't Want to Cook" Edition--
 


I can still taste this pork bbq that had TONS of Bark mixed in. Mmmmmmm
 
 
 
When we walked into the house yesterday after being gone for 2 WEEKS it was like something out of a horror movie.......stuff everywhere and no rhyme or reason to where things were.  It was a total pig sty, especially the kitchen.
But then again.....what do you expect leaving a 19 year old home alone and he turns your house into a band studio?

Besides the unpacking I'll be spending the next couple of days just digging out the mess here.
Plus it's the first of the month and I need to do all my bookwork(spending totals for May AND June net worth calculations).
Oh, the fun never ends, doesn't it? ;-)

Here's a Meal Plan Monday post and I'll be back in a couple days with  regular postings.
-Sluggy


 Onward to the meal planning!
 
Here's what was planned last week.......

1.  Nothing
2.  Nothing
3.  Nothing
4.  Nothing
5.  Nothing
6.  Nothing
7.  Nothing
 
And this is what actually happened--
 
Again last week, breakfasts were at the hotel and most of the week was at one hotel since we were staying put in Shreveport for awhile.  My "go to" breakfast was either eggs(scrambled), sausage patty and water or hot tea OR oatmeal and yogurt or a banana. and water or hot tea.
Boring, boring.
 
Sunday--Lunch............
Ok, I had a couple of vegetarian fajitas with that Margarita! (And some chips and queso)at Supreme Grill in Shreveport, LA.
 
Dinner..................
Peach Lemonade Daiquiri topped with Peach gummi rings.
Hey!....my Daughter insisted! lolz
I also split an order of Sesame Chicken with my Daughter at the local take-out place near the hotel.
 
Monday--We hat a cookout at my Daughter's house.
 
Lunch--Salad, Veggies with Hummus, slab of smoked Beef Brisket and a beer
Dinner--Hubs and I split an order of Fried Shrimp w/2 veggies at a local seafood joint near the hotel
 
Tuesday--
Lunch......Tuna Sandwich and Unsweet Tea after house shopping in Bossier City, LA
Dinner .........
Fried Gator, Coleslaw, steamed Broccoli, Cornbread, Unsweetened Tea(and a couple of fried green tomato chunks for an appetizer)at Shane's Seafood and Bar BQ in Shreveport, LA.
 
Dessert  back at the hotel was......
 Blackberry hard Cider and a cream cheese filled Southern Maid donut....mmmmmm

 
Wednesday--
Lunch.....
A quick Chicken Salad Sammich at Arby's between house hunting in Haughton, LA
Dinner......
Chinese and Sushi dinner out at Sumo Supreme in Shreveport, LA.
I had 2 plates of food! mostly consisting of sushi/rolls, green beans, goyza(dumplings), 1 crab Rangoon, 1 "mudbug"(crawfish), broccoli w/chicken and 1 bacon wrapped sea leg piece with unsweetened iced tea

Thursday--
Lunch.........

A grilled Cheese sammich with peach tea at Tom & Chee in Bossier City, LA

Dinner........
Smoked Pulled Pork, Cole Slaw, Chili Beans and a slice of good ol' white bread with unsweetened iced tea at Smiley B's BBQ in Greenwood, LA

Friday--
Lunch.........a McChicken sammich and a small cheeseburger at Mickey D's from Meridian, MS while on the road.
Dinner........
A Cobb Salad at Zaxby's with PowerAde Zero in Trussville, AL

Saturday--
Lunch.........6" tuna sub at truck stop with a Subway near Dandridge, TN with sweet tea to drink(no unsweetened there).
Dinner........Steak, salad, asparagus and rolls w/unsweetened iced tea at Texas Steakhouse and Saloon in Staunton, VA.
 
We bought zero groceries last week(except I bought all the food for Daughter's cook-out for Memorial Day but this isn't in our food budget) and College Boy spent none of the $ I let him on groceries the last 2 weeks, so we will finish out our May food spending at $515.77.  Nowhere near $400 but not as bad as I thought it might turn out.
 

This coming week there is still no plan yet.  We just got home yesterday afternoon and after I clear out the fridge of stuff College Boy didn't eat while we were away and see what food is left in the freezer/pantry I'll make a plan and implement it, so check back in the next few days to see what we will be eating at Chez Sluggy.
 
What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?    

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten that week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?

Sluggy

17 comments:

  1. Yum, that's all I've got to say. Oh yeah, hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What you ate looks yummy! I like that about vacations...I get to eat what I want with someone else cooking it! LOL Well around here I have gotten into the serious menu planning mode now that I am not employed and my kids are home for the summer all day long.... http://livingbetteronedayatatime.blogspot.com/2015/06/menu-plan-for-week-trying-something-new.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to try local things and try to avoid chain restaurants on vacation. And the not cooking part makes it even sweeter! lolz
      Good luck on your meal plan. Hopefully it helps you survive the Summer home with kids better. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Wish I had known you were traveling through Birmingham. I would have made plans to meet you. Next time you visit your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, it's all for the best since we went thru B'ham on the way home and it was 2.5 grueling days of nothing but driving and stopping to sleep(and eat). I wouldn't have been good company then. We are bound to go through AL next trip to LA and hopefully it will be a more leaisurely pace so we'll plan on a meet-up next time, ok? 8-)

      Delete
  4. Okay, he did not spend your money and did not eat stuff in the refrigerator, so what did he eat?

    I am making Mavis Butterfield's taco salad and will have that until it is gone. I still have cooked, frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts and have salad greens, tomato, and lots of fruit. Cherries were $1.98 at Sprouts, so I price-matched that at WM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He ate frozen breakfast sammiches I bought him before leaving, drank a lot of coffee, ate chicken strips, burritos and chili, Doritos and burgers. He ate none of the leftovers in the fridge so I about cried last night dumping all that food that went bad. sigh.

      Delete
    2. I suppose you can eat leftovers or freeze them before you leave next time. I would have cried, too.

      Delete
  5. I vote for the grilled cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place only does tomato based soups and grilled cheese sammiches.....oh, and grilled cheese donuts.

      Delete
  6. Welcome home! Can't wait to hear all about the trip. I didn't have to cook for 5 days while hubby and daughter were away. I didn't cook anything. Mostly drank coffee, ate trail mix and nuked a couple of hot dogs. Pretty pitiful actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have probably done the same if I didn't have to cook for the family.....well, except for the coffee part. That must have been some "con" to have them gone for 5 days!

      Delete
  7. Welcome home. Sorry about the mess, you could ask him to help you clean up. He will need to learn to clean up after himself, sooner or later. I am still in indulge mode after nearly three weeks of hospital food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, most of it's cleaned up now. He just didn't get to it as he was working every day and it would have cut into his sleeping time. lol

      3 weeks of hospital food? Forget the surgery.....However did you survive that?! lol

      Delete
  8. Its so hard to get back into the swing of real life after you have been on vacation. I hate just doing the piles of laundry. But I like the plan of drinking every meal, it really cuts down on the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pork BBQ is one of my favorite things in the world. Parents from Tennessee is the reason I love pork over beef even though I live in Texas.

    I would have hurt a 19 year old that had free run of my house while I was on vacation and left the mess for me to clean up. You are a nicer mama than I am.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.