Tuesday, June 2, 2015

2015 Food and Toiltries Spending.....May Update


 Onward to May's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for MAY 2015.

I have posted May's totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2015 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.  I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in March.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals SumMy spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3(3 at home this month). No kids under 19.

******************
MAINE SOURCE
OOP  $6.78
Qs/Ads $14.39
Value $21.17
Savings  67.97%

OLLIE'S
OOP  $19.11
Value $35.11
Savings   45.57%

RITE-AID *(see below)
OOP  $11.67
Qs/Ads  $23.63
Value  $35.30
Savings  66.94%

SAM'S CLUB
OOP  $26.64
Value  $37.07
Savings  28.14%
 
SHURSAVE STORES(small local independent affiliated stores)
OOP  $159.20
Qs/Ads  $61.44
Value  $220.64
Savings  27.85%

TARGET
OOP  $5.76
Qs/Ads $12.20
Value $17.96
Savings  67.93%
 
WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $286.61
Qs/Ads  $278.80
Value  $565.41
Savings  49.31%
 

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Maine Source at 67.97%, Target at 67.93% and Rite-Aid at 66.94%.  My WORST savings rate was the ShurSave store at 27.15%.

I shopped at 6 different stores this past month. 

TOTAL Out of Pocket........ $515.77
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$416.89
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$932.66
TOTAL Savings of...................................44.70%
TOTAL Savings WITHOUT Rite-Aid.............43.82%

This closes out the May food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into May without a firm food budget because the College Boy came home the beginning of the month and  there were many items I don't usually buy that had to be bought for him......essentials like Doritos, TastyKakes, Goldfish crackers, Cream soda, Chicken strips, canned Chili, stuff like that, that makes up the nutritious part of a teenage boy's diet. ;-)

Due to some "deals" at Weis(PMITA)Markets in May, we are stocked to the gills on pickles, salad dressing, flavored yogurt, popsicles and ice cream now.

The monthly savings percentage went up by .22% in May to 44.70% compared to April's 44.48% average.
A 44.70% is a bit better than a 44.48% savings rate so I'll take it.

You'll notice that without the +Ups Rewards at Rite-Aid my savings rate there went to hell-66.94%.  My usual R-A savings rate hovered in the 98% neighborhood until this month.  Yeah, my neighborhood is not so lush anymore.......

The savings rate for the year so far now stands at 60.72%.  That's a 4.28% decrease in savings over April's YTD total.  It's still hanging in well over a 40% savings rate for the year but will be going down further since I am not robbing Rite-Aid blind any longer. *sad face*

I was feeling out of sorts over my total spent on food/toiletries in May....it seemed really high for some reason.
Then I went and looked at 2014's May spending and it was $524.63(even more than what I spent this year)and 2013 was $500.35, so I am only slightly higher that that year.
I feel a bit better about it all now. 8-)

I have spent a total of $1,749.63 on food/toiletries in 2015 so far.  That averages out to $349.93 per month.
May's Grocery Spend Fest  raised the average monthly spending by $41.47 per month for the year-to-date.
meh.

LOOKING AHEAD To JUNE.........

Since College Boy is eating dinner at the restaurant he works at(and he is now working 5 nights a week)I won't be making dinner for him mostly.  He usually gets up at 2ish pm and has coffee and breakfast(cereal, a breakfast sammich or bagel).  He sometimes eats late at night after work but not always at home.
Other than stocking a few basics he requires(chips, tastykakes, breakfast foods, cereal, milk, burritos, chicken strips, burgers)my grocery spending should be fairly normal(under $400)this month. I'll be using down stores from the pantry and freezer this month.  No guests, parties or vacationing going on in June so we are back to the usual eating routine again.

We'll try for a $400 food budget for June.
Last year's June spending was $463.75 so I am sure I can do better than that this June.
 
If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.
 
*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in May?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
 

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. DJ said that we had no real food in the house and went out and bought pizza puffs and doritos. Yes, that is real food.
    I wouldn't worry about the spending too much. It will fall back in line once we get the boys back to school..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in a weird place with fragile parents and have done no real cooking in a few weeks, so my spending has been erratic at best. When I do go to the store I think I am paying more per meal than usual because I am buying without thinking of sales. Just picking up quick/no prep items that will become a meal in the least amount of time and effort possible. This is not a good way to exist and I know it, but these are circumstances I can't control or change..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to keep to the $350 a month, but seem to be failing. Oh well there is next month I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to start tracking our grocery spending again. I kinda fell off that for a while now. I was a little put out that we spent $95 at the grocery store yesterday, but we did get quite a few stockpile and freezer items. And Hubby only spent about $35 the weekend before, so I guess it evens out a bit. We have had so many medical expenses to pay, mostly for me, that I feel like we are bleeding money, but we are still not getting into the savings account. So I guess we are still good.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.