Monday, August 29, 2022

This Week on the Dining Table

The "I Keep Telling Myself This" Edition....



Yep, this is where I am mentally now.  Meal planning and keeping to it is sooo far down my list of important sh*t to do right now.  By next Monday it might not even be on my radar. ;-)

Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned.....
1. Sunday--Beef Pie
2. Monday--Liver and Onions, Mashed Potatoes, Harvard Beets
3. Tuesday--Fish, Collards
4. Wednesday--Mac and Cheese, ?
5. Thursday--Pecan Chicken, Veggie TBD
6.  Friday--Leftovers
7. Saturday--Take-Out

And here's what actually happened........
1. Sunday--Beef Pie
2. Monday--Fish, Harvard Beets
3. Tuesday--Liver and Onions, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, leftover Beets
4. Wednesday--Leftovers
5. Thursday--Subway subs
6.  Friday--Chicken Strips, Corn on Cob
7. Saturday--Take-Out lunch, no Dinner

I have a good excuse for why I didn't cook the later half of the week.  Yah see, one of my Rite-Aid ladies belongs to a church that has an emergency food pantry and she said she'd take the bulk of the non-expired food we still have to get rid of.  I started piling her stash up on the chest freezer not realizing until later that her stash would be overwhelming and I wouldn't be able to get into the freezer until she came and got it all on Saturday.  She also relieved me of some freezer items as well as boxes of canning jars(for her neighbor).

What got put into the freezer last week....
*  Nothing

What got taken out of the freezer and used...
*  1 package of liver
*  1 package of bacon
*  1 package of Ground Beef
*  1 package of Fish
*  1 bag of Chicken Strips
*  Also butter and roll sausage that my R-A lady took
                                                   
I spent $17.25 on food/toiletries/HBA this last week at Weis.
This brings our food/toiletries/paper goods Grand Total to $43.96 for August.  

There are 2 shopping days left in August.

I've earned $39.98 on Ibotta in August(mostly at R-A).
I've earned $3.15 on Checkout51 in August.
I've earned $0 on Coupons dotcom in August.
I've earned 1,075 points from shopping on Fetch in August.
I earned 200 points from food shopping on Shop Kick in August.
I've earned $9.00 from food shopping on Swag Bucks in August.

That's $43.03 in rebates(not counting the Shop Kick/Swag Bucks/Fetch)on $43.96 in grocery spending so in reality it's .93¢ spent after the 3 rebate apps I count.

My savings percentage for the last week was 16.00%(without "regular" Rite-Aid trips)and the monthly savings total for August comes in at 39.75% so far(w/out R-A).  

Leftovers going into this week.... beef pie, liver and onions, mashed taters, fresh baked bread(I got ambitious Friday night)and homemade pickles.


Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Pork Teriyaki stir-fry, Rice
2. Monday--Salmon, Collards
3. Tuesday--Mac and Cheese and Veggie TBD
4. Wednesday--BBQ sandwiches, Cole Slaw
5. Thursday--Hot Dogs and whatever else I find in the freezer
6.  Friday--Beef Stroganoff, some leftover Veggie
7. Saturday--Pecan Chicken and whatever else I can scrounge together

What do I need to buy to fix everything on this menu?  More milk for the mac and cheese, a bag of slaw mix.  One trip to the grocery store on Tuesday for a few items to close out August.  The plan is to spend about $4 on that.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any deals on food at your stores this week?  I have barely been IN a grocery store in weeks and I haven't even looked at an ad in that long either. 8-)


Sluggy 

7 comments:

  1. No plan, so I guess I stayed on track. We're a flurry of prepping for the college kid leaving, my son's visit, a long weekend and overdo cleaning. Take it easy on yourself. If you need to delay your closing after you sell, you should do so to cut some stress for down sizing. You've saved and saved for this move, so use it to make life easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house doesn't go on the market until we leave it. So the house isn't sold yet. We are moving in with Daughter short term until this sells and we have funds in hand to purchase down there.

      Delete
  2. You know SLug, I would just start eating out at this point.
    Moving is too much and then trying to cook. I know you are trying to use up food, but at what cost to you mentally. See Kim giving advice, she would probably ignore. Put the Chinese delivery on speed dial baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. We have had Chinese food the last 3 nights(1 x out to eat, 1 x take-out and the last time I cooked stir-fry)so I'm about Chinesed out. lol Maybe pizza?

      Delete
    2. Use the maniafifty code at Papa John’s and get it half price. That’s what I did yet again. 😀

      Jen G.

      Delete
  3. Half price breadsticks and indian soup from the freezer tonight. Tomato basil pasta to use garden stuff tomorrow and then out of ideas.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.