Monday, February 17, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Would You Eat These?" Edition................


Sonya Ann dearly loves boiled peanuts.  I saw these at the Weis(PMITA)Markets south of here last week in my travels and at 50% off I immediately thought to buy and send them to her.  Then I remembered where she lived and remembered that it would cost me approximately $15 just to ship these 4 cans to her.
So I sent her a photo of them instead. lolz

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-

This is what was planned for last week.......

1. Sunday--Roast Chicken, Stuffing(for some), Carrots
2. Monday--Beef Pie(at least for some of us)
3. Tuesday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Sausage, Salad, Garlic Bread
4. Wednesday--Doing something with the leftover roast Chicken?
5. Thursday--TV dinners in the freezer?
6. Friday--Leftovers?
7. Saturday--Leftovers?

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Roast Chicken, Stuffing(for some), Carrots
2. Monday--Hamburgers, Salad
3. Tuesday--Fend For Yourself
4. Wednesday--Beef Pie(at least for some of us)
5. Thursday--Had Lunch out/Dinner FFY(I had soup)
6. Friday--Shrimp Scampi over Linguini
7. Saturday--Fend For Yourself

Last week saw 4 nights of home cooked dinners, 3 nights of leftovers/FFY or TV dinners, and 0 night of Eating Out/Take-Out(for dinner, we did have a lunch out).
I am still consuming a lot of soup, jello, hot tea, etc. as my throat is sore and my taste buds are still off.
Spaghetti and TV dinners didn't happen but Hamburgers/Salad and Shrimp Scampi did so the aforementioned will happen this coming week.

I wanted to make something special for Hubs on V-day so I used most of that skewered shrimp I picked up after Thanksgiving on clearance..........
30 shrimp per pack for $2.50.  I just had to take the tails off and remove them from the skewers.  Garlic, white wine, green onion because I didn't have a shallot, crushed red pepper flakes and a bit of butter to make the sauce and it was done.
The rest of the third pack of shrimp I used in a pot of Chinese Sizzling Rice Soup I made.  I've been eating off that pot of soup since Friday(most lunches and a couple dinners).

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 2 bags of shrimp/crab ravioli(Aldi find)
* 3 packages of chicken cutlets(Weis Deal + Q)
* 2 bags of fried rice(Weis Deal + Q + Ibotta)
* 8 pork chops(Weis Deal)
* 3 lbs. ground beef(Weis Deal + $3 Sticker)
* meat from 1 roasted chicken(1 of my .52¢ lb. chickens)

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* 3 bags of frozen shrimp skewers
The rest of the proteins used(ground beef, chicken)were bought fresh and used last week.

Lots of spending this past week in the amount of $122.66(Weis x 2, Aldi, Ollie's, Walmart x 2) brings my February Grand Total spending on food to $321.76 so far.
I've earned $69.25 in Ibotta rebates too in February so far.

My savings percentage last week was 51.15%(without Rite-Aid trips)and February's monthly savings total comes in at 48.28%(w/out R-A).  

I have 12 more food shopping/spending days in February.

Leftovers going into this week.....Corned Beef(enough for a couple of sandwiches), Beef Pie, Shrimp Scampi, Roast Chicken, Chinese Soup.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Frozen Pizza(Hubs/Ex-CB, soup for me)
2. Monday--Chicken Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole(using leftover roast chicken)
3. Tuesday--Pork Chops, Veg TBD, Noodles or Rice of some kind(Hubs is cooking this)
4. Wednesday--Leftover Beef Pie
5. Thursday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Veg TBD
6. Friday--Leftovers?
7. Saturday--Leftovers?

What needs buying for this menu?Nothing really....maybe some salad greens?  We've got frozen veg otherwise.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. I make up a menu of about 50 meals (I keep quite a bit of meat stocked in the freezers when I find good sales) and then we just pick a meal from the menu the night before.

    I tried doing it a month and a week at a time (certain meals certain days) and for some reason never stuck to it so now we just go down the list, see what looks good and go from there.

    I like doing it the night before because then we know if it is a crockpot meal, needs marinating, anything like that.

    Sue L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I would not eat boiled peanuts! I ate one that someone insisted I eat at a flea market. It was so disgusting to me that I spat it out on the ground. Nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad likes boiled peanuts. Me, not so much. We made shrimp for Valentine's day too. It was so good and much cheaper then going out to a packed restaurant.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.