Friday, February 7, 2020

Frugal Friday.....the February 7th Edition

A quick look at what frugal things occurred in Sluggy's world this past week........

*  I earned .20¢ on Ibotta(2 x .10¢ for buying any item).  It's sort of hard to earn rebates when you aren't buying much. lolz

*  I got last Friday's Weis Freebie.......
Yet again, it was a 2 liter bottle of Weis soda.  This time I got a photo before Ex-College Boy polished it off. ;-)

*  I hit the Bread Outlet for 3 loaves of bread(really 1 loaf and 2 bags of hamburger rolls)this past week. $4 out the door for $12+ worth of premium bread products.

*  My best "deals" at Weis last week were these items.....


Fantastic Friday Hormel chili was .99¢ per can if you bought at least 3 cans at a time.  No coupons for it and I got the last 2 cans of regular chili so had to buy a turkey one.
The other good deal was a jar of clearance type pickles for $1.50.  I also have a .50¢/1 Weis digital Q for it on my card and it doubled to $1 off, making the pickles .50¢ OOP.

*  I sold something on eBay......

2 bottles of an old, discontinued Nexxus shampoo from my stash.  I got these from Rite-Aid(of course!lol)a few years ago so I didn't pay anything for them really.  A nice little profit on this sale. ;-)

*  I got some stuff at Rite-Aid........


And earned a $20 prepaid Visa card to boot..........

And there were some free Qs and samples on Wellness Wednesday as well........



*  I found money.....and whoah doggy was this a GOOD week for that!!!

First off there was this..........


A penny and a dime near the self-checkout machine I used at Weis last Friday.

On Tuesday Hubs and I went to Walmart to look for inexpensive new phone cases(for our new phones) and to pick up almond milk and cheese.  As we approached a vacant self-checkout I saw this hanging out of the machine and nobody was at the machine........


Two $20 bills hanging from the bill chute!!!

There was nobody there so we looked around to see if we could figure out if someone walking away from the self-checkout corral might be the owner.
We agreed that if we turned it into Customer Service it would just 'disappear' into someone's pocket(not the rightful owners)because well, it's Walmart.  So we rang our items out exceedingly slowly in hopes whomever left the cash would realize it and return to find it.  We must have spent 20 minutes ringing up our 6 items(mostly standing there not ringing things up to stretch out our time at the machine)but no one came back.
So tell me, what would you have done?  And what should I do with this windfall?......keep it?....use it for a food bank donation or some other charity?....apply it to our food budget?....or ?
Even if I don't keep it, this still COUNTS in my Found Money Tally.....ya hear me KIM?!? hehehe

Then on Wednesday at Rite-Aid I found this(though after Tuesday's find, it seems quite anti-climatic lol)......


A penny under the candy racks at the register.  That blur in the background is Dixie thinking I have something she can eat so she's being quite attentive to what I am doing here. lolz

Total found money for the week........$40.12
Total found money for the year.......$42.42

That's about all to report in on, except I did find something else this week or rather Ex-College Boy brought us home some sickness.
Yay me!
All three of us have whatever it is.
I don't think it's the flu(I got a shot in Dec.)but a run of the mill cold with sinus and chest gunk.
Good time folks, good times.....

So I may not be posting for a couple days/over the weekend.  I'll be on a tea, soup, vitamin C and cough drop diet until further notice and blowing through our stockpile of Kleenex(literally-blowing!). ;-)
If any of y'all are ill, I commiserate with ya and as for the rest of y'all who are not sick, stay away from those of us who are! hehe


Now tell us all the frugal stuff that happened in your world this past week too!

Sluggy

16 comments:

  1. I think you should use your mad bargain hunting skills to see how far you can stretch the $40 for the food bank. Ours is always looking for toiletries, laundry, cleaning and paper products. If you get R-A money for your purchases, see how far can stretch that in food bank purchases, too. I can see you getting well over $100 bang for the 40 bucks. Take it as a challenge.
    I was going to brag about finding another quarter in an Aldi buggy, but that doesn't begin to compare to your find.
    Hope you all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have turned that $40 into the service desk. All the self scan registers have video of the transactions. If the person realizes they forgot the money and came back later in the day, they would have video proof of that customer at the register. As a former Walmart employee, I take offense that you think all employees are lying thieves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, 50% lie? So, you may be an honest one! But, I have had them lie about what I said and each other and the managers.

      Delete
  3. I would call customer service and ask if anyone is missing any money from the self check out. I found 2 cents this week. Great deal on the Hormel chili,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d keep the $40 and surprise some people with tips. I had a gift certificate for a free pizza that I picked up during lunch today. I handed the cashier $2 and she tried to give it back to me - apparently no one has ever tipped before? She was so excited I wish now I’d given her $5.

    That was my only spending for the week but remembered my best ever found money. I was at a club in West Hollywood (many years ago) and spotted some soggy cash on the dance floor. Some guy kept stepping on it so I asked if he dropped a few dollars. He said no so I scooped that nasty pile of dollars up. It turned out to be $93 soggy dollars! My clubbing days are over but I’ll never forget that night.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you fell better soon, Sluggy. I took my prize pack to the office and they were very impressed. You may have some new readers. Many thanks once again!

    Wendy Payne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh crap, you've got the crud. Hope you feel better - good time to do some reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. $40 -WooHoo. Sorry they didn’t come back for it, but you’re right, taking it to customer service wouldn’t fix the issue. I vote $20 to the local food bank and $20 to the Sluggy food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is a dilemma. It makes you feel bad that someone may have really needed that money. But found is found, and you are generous enough that you will pay it forward somehow some where, so good on you, but Now the stakes are so high.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would not turn it in since it seems you did try to wait on someone. If you call customer service, they will want the money and you know how that will go. Keep it and pay something forward with $20 of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope you feel better soon. I'd keep the $40 and add it to the slush fund.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s wasn’t yours to take. It belonged to the owner or should have been turned into the store. Or. Left alone. Finders keepers isn’t a real thing in the eyes of the law. You took something that didn’t belong to you. Not trying to be harsh but that’s how that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Considering I accidentally left $40 at Stop & Shop and went back about five minutes later (got to my car and turned around and went right back in) and my money was gone, I would have brought it to Customer Service. I would also make a donation with the "found" money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right about customer service keeping it. Worked at a place that they did this all the time. Even when people came back later they said it wasn't turned in. I say donate $20 and keep $20.

    I found $100 bill once and after I made sure it was real I didn't know what to do with it. The church had a fundraiser going on at the time and it was $100, so I bought a ticket. Didn't win but had a nice night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I say keep the money and use some of it (maybe half) tosee how much free stuff you can get with it. Then use donate those free items.

    Hope you all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.