Friday, February 22, 2019

Frugal Friday.....the February 22nd Edition

Let's take a look around and see what frugalness we came up with this past week............

Ex-College Boy's Birthday was yesterday.  Because of the weather this week(see "unpredictable")we had his Birthday Meal out on Tuesday(as he was off then).


He requested to go to the Hibachi place(like the Benihana chain but local and just as expensive!).
I discouraged alcoholic drinks(hate paying for overpriced booze out)but I was the only one who got iced tea. 8-(
#frugal fail

We did go on Free Appetizer Night so we got a free appetizer.  Yay!

And I finally remembered to use a $10 gift coupon(gotten from a birthday meal 3 years ago! but still valid)for one of these bday trips here.


Of course, because it's me, the waitress forgot to take the $10 off when she brought the c/c receipt to sign. sigh.
Hubs was perfectly happy just to sign the incorrect receipt and not say anything and not get our $10 off.
But y'all know me...........lolz
So "I" got it adjusted. ;-)  I
t helped take the sting out of the ridiculously expensive prices there.

How I yearn for the days when my kids were happy with a chicken tenders meal or a burger for their birthday dinner. lolz

*  I scored at Rite-Aid this past Sunday with clearance cosmetics paired with Qs meaning I only "spent" $13.30 in Bonus Cash and/or Prepaid Visa script(gotten free as well)to earn another $20 in Bonus Cash on 1 of my cards.


This spending earned me $20 in Ibotta cash rebates as well so overall a $6.70 moneymaker. 8-))

I also bought this last Sunday


The Rite-Aid I was in had this new Alka-Seltzer Mucus product which has a full price(after Q used)rebate if bought before Sunday-rebate info HERE.
Anyway I bought this on Daughter's card and used a $3/1 ManQ and promptly applied for the rebate essentially making this free once the $8.99 rebate is received.

I noticed that this item is part of the "Spend $50/Get $20 Bonus Cash" scheme too so you know what that meant?
Sluggy got her Revlon Qs and went out in search of more clearance cosmetics.  ;-)


5 x Revlon face stuff $3.74=$18.70
4 x Cover Girl 210 mascara(straight brush)$1.49=$5.96
2 x Revlon brow crayon $2.49=$4.98
1 x Cover Girl face powder=$2.57
2 x Revlon lip crayon=$4.98
5 x Nivea cherry lip balm(clearance .82¢)=$4.10
SubTotal......$44.29

Coupons Used
5 x Revlon $3/1 face make-up IPQ=$10.00
4 x Cover Girl $2/1 item IPQ=$8.00
2 x Revlon $2/1 brow item IPQ=$4.00
1 x Cover Girl $2/1 face item IPQ=$2.00
2 x Revlon $2/1 lip item IPQ=$4.00
Coupon Total.........$28.00

$44.29-$28.00=$16.29+63¢ tax=$16.92
Add that $44.29 spent to the $11.99 for the Alka Seltzer and I "spent" $56.28, paid $25.91 in BC/Prepaid Visa script, got $20 BC back and $8.99 in a cash rebate so a $3.08 moneymaker.
I'll probably  return a couple of items just because I was $6.28 over what I needed to spend and I don't strictly "need" everything for giveaways above(and that makes it an even better deal in the end).

Even better if the assorted Revlon Ibotta rebates come back on my list before these receipts expire I can get up to another $18 in cash rebates on all this(but not holding my breath).  8-)))

Moving on.........

*  While out on Tuesday picking up cosmetics I found this too...........

A quarter partially hidden under one of those floor mats by the register at the first Rite-Aid I went to.

And then this.........


A dime at the second Rite-Aid I went to under the candy racks by the register.
I am up .35¢ this week in free money!

And speaking of Rite-Aid, this printed at one of the stores this week for me..........


30% off Sale coming the first weekend in March.  Watch for it!

*  And then there was 75% off Valentine's Candy at Rite-Aid too..........

Cheap chocolates for giveaways....woohoo!

*  While I didn't get to use all my IPQs for free yogurt and soup before the sale ended at Weis(PMITA)Markets thanks to a snowstorm on Wednesday, I did get this on Tuesday evening.............


4 x Oh! yogurt
2 x Oikos triple yogurt
1 x Too Good yogurt
All were $1 on sale and I used Qs which doubled that made them all free.
I would have gotten more of the Too Good brand but that only had 1 cup left on the shelf.  If they had had 2 cups I could have gotten a $1 Ibotta cash rebate as well. sigh.
I also picked up 1 more pint of ice cream, the Weis brand gelato on 50% clearance for $1.73.
Being as it was Senior Citizen day Tuesday I also got .17¢ off the glelato too so I paid $1.56 OOP for everything I bought in that trip.


That was a nice surprise, getting that Senior Discount too.
Hey!....17¢ is .17¢, right?!?

*  I had a $5 Kohl's birthday reward to use soon.
A couple of weeks ago Hubs and I went to Kohl's just to check clearance things out.
Ex-College Boy is NOT a shopper and the kid is in serious need of new clothing(he wears things until they are rags)so I will go clothes hunting for him and now that he's gainfully employed, he reimburses me what I spend on him.
I didn't use my $5 reward but I did pick up $50+ worth of clothes for Ex-College Boy and they were giving out $10 Kohl's cash that week so I now have $15 in script to spend.

Hubs' birthday is coming up in early April so I went out to Kohl's last week(during the time frame I have to use that $10 Kohl's cash)to see if I could find something for his bday.
I found just the thing(but will show it after he gets it).  It cost me $16 so after my $5 bday reward and the $10 Kohl's Cash his Birthday gift cost me $1 OOP.  8-)))
I'll add this gift to the things I picked up at Sallie's when Kim and her Sissie were here and I am done with Hubs gifties. 8-)))

* While out on Tuesday I dropped by the Discount Grocery near the second Rite-Aid I hit just to browse.
I found a few things to bring home cheap.......


A jar of Korean Bulgogi sauce for .99¢, a box of garlic mashed taters for .79¢(2 pouches), a lb. thick cut Hatfield bacon package for $1.99(not pictured)  and a pack of OM hot dogs for .59¢(not pictured).  I would have gotten more of the hot dogs at that price for the freezer as Summer grilling season is approaching but I am still in empty mode in regards to the freezer.

*  And the best deal I got this past week.............

Back in late December I had an eye exam.  It had been 1.5 years since my last exam and my eyes had gotten a bit worse.  So I went to Vision Works as they were charging the least amount around here for a vision exam(I no longer had vision benefits on our insurance so hunting a deal on anything to do with my vision is even more important to the financial bottom line).
After the exam and armed with a new Rx, I perused their selection of glasses and came up with two possibilities and sat down with the salesperson to see what the cost would be.


Of course the pair I liked best was the more expensive $242.97 all in.
They offered me a BOGOFree Deal, 2 pair for $404.95 all in.
Not liking this amount I went home with nothing and proceeded to look online.

I found almost the exact same pair of frames online for a LOT less....the only difference was there was a little less "bling" on the arms(which I could certainly live with).  So I used my prescription and ordered those instead.

And they finally showed up this week!  It seemed to take forever but was really took just over 3 weeks to get here.


In fact GlassesUSA had a deal if I bought TWO Pair also, but their price for 2 pair was much LESS than what Vision Works wanted to charge me for ONE pair!
So I got 2 pair of these glasses(one to keep downstairs and one to keep upstairs)for $137 total and free shipping.


I spent $94.03 LESS than Vision Works for the same thing and basically GOT A FREE PAIR.



Here's Sluggy rockin' the purple specs. ;-)


Keepin' it Frugal and Livin' the Dream folks....

Tell us about all your Frugal Victories lately too!



Sluggy



4 comments:

  1. The purple specs look great! I bought prescription sunglasses online before and I love them. Probably one of my best purchases ever. Got a fantastic deal and I use them a ton, even though it feels like the sun never shines here.
    I have been finding quite a bit of change lately. A nickel yesterday at Dollar tree (just went in to get buns, also frugal). Found 51 cents at the mall and a dime somewhere else, it escapes me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new glasses, very tre chic

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glasses look good on you, and who can go wrong with purple specs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paying for a June vacation to Portland and Hawaii using cash leftover from paychecks. Refuse to take money out of savings. Flights are done and I’ll just owe my sister half of the apartment rental in June.


    Sluggy inspired me to try Ibotta and I have over $50 from the last month. This could be my spending money for the trip if I keep it up. Thanks for the tip!

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.