Sunday, February 3, 2019

What We Spent in 2018 & The January $$$ Meeting

What We Spent in 2018

2018 was the first full calendar year of Hubs retirement so I wanted to look back on how we did financially that first full year of retirement.



Our income included.....
*  12 months of an Annuity payment which came to a net of $38,482.83.
*  12 months of Interest earned on deposits which came to $4,053.05.
*  3 quarterly 401K withdrawals which netted us a total of $15,450.57.
*  4 quarterly Dividend payments which netted us a total of $395.43.
*  Blogging Revenue over the whole year of $490.29.
*  eBay Sales net for the year of $177.09.

This totals $59,049.26 of income in 2018*.

(* I took the Healthcare Premiums and the RMSA reimbursement out of the equation as the RMSA took care of the premium and this didn't impact our other finances.  Being a reimbursement account it's not technically income.)

(* I am not counting our Federal Tax Refund or any Cash Rebates/Refunds received in our "income" for this purpose, as those are not taxable.)


All our 2018 expenses came to $43,107.38.

This amount was from......
*  $34,275.98 in regular monthly expenses(utilities, food/toiletries/HBa/paper goods, internet, gas, medical we paid OOP, cash taken, c/c bills).
*  $8,831.40 in irregular bills(sewage, garbage, various insurances, taxes).

After expenses we had $15,941.88 leftover income when 2018 was said and done.

We also have $1016.74 in the Sinking Fund that carried over from Dec. 2017 into Jan. 2018 to account for in the overage.
Add in our tax refund, cash rebates/refunds and we finished the year with $23,237.05 in leftover funds.

I'd say, considering a few things, we did ok in 2018.......
Considering we were partially supporting 2 adult children.
Considering we owned a second house in LA for part of the year.
Considering we paid some tuition in Jan. of 2018 for Ex-College Boy.

In hindsight we probably could have done without any 401K withdrawals in 2018.
But Hubs insisted we take them.

Originally he wanted to take 4 withdrawals of $9K each but I talked him into taking only 3 withdrawals of $6K which was exactly half of what he planned.  ;-)
And even with half, we still had a boatload of cash leftover.  8-)))

The difference between our 401K in Jan. 2018 and Jan 2019 was only $5K....so our $18K in withdrawals for 2018 dinged our 401K to the tune of only $5K.


The January Financial Meeting

We sat down in January and went over all the numbers with Hubs and two things will change.

* Instead of taking 401K withdrawals in 2019 to cover irregular bills/to fund the Sinking Fund, we will use reserves of cash(in the savings and checking accounts)to cover irregular bills.
At least for now.

I'd rather use the cash earning less than what the 401K funds are earning to pay these bills.
Makes a lot of sense to me and Hubs agreed.

*  The other change is to how much WAM we take each month for personal use.  I am fine with the $100 we were taking but Hubs chafes at this limit.  So for at least the foreseeable future we will increase the WAM to $300 a month($150 for each of us).  I hope this stops his bitchin'.....lolz

My needs are few and my wants are simple(mostly).  Hubs?...who knows at this point.


*  We have a few large expenses coming in 2019 that aren't covered in the usual or irregular bills.

Both of our cars need new tires....mine need them tout suite.  My car has under 28K miles on it but the tires are coming up on 5 years old and they are starting to disintegrate and leak.  We are figuring $2K should cover both sets of tires.

Come Spring we will be getting some work done on the house.  Expensive things like remodeling a bathroom, new windows for the whole house, refurbishing the kitchen, replacing 2 bedroom's carpeting.  That stuff ain't cheap.

All these expenses will be talked to death here and we'll figure out how to handle them in time. ;-)
Retirement planning continues to be a moving target.....like nailing Jello to a wall.


How is your retirement going financially?
Do you revisit your finances periodically and revamp your plans?
What has been your biggest financial challenge in retirement?


Sluggy

12 comments:

  1. We just had a good change to our future retirement picture - the condo we own that Mom lives in is changing from owner only occupied (or family member) to rentals permitted in 2020. The government made it so that condo boards can't stop rentals from happening. It's in a super good neighborhood and we could easily rent it for 2x what mom pays (we give her a REALLY good deal) instead of being forced to sell it when she moves out one day. That is likely in 5 plus years so we are really happy about that - plus it's increased in value by 36 percent since we bought it.

    I sometimes think we might of oversaved which is why we are spending a lot right now on things like travel. We are still working but only contribute a minimum amount to our retirement right now to offset paying income taxes. I am pretty sure there is enough in there - we are pretty frugal in day to day life, really travel is our only major splurge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Increased value in a second home is good....once your mom doesn't live there anymore and if you ever get tired of being landlords to strangers you can always liquidate it too which will infuse your savings as well.

      Delete
  2. the last time I had a look-see at my retirement is seemed steady. I wish I had faith it and I will arrive at retirement at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be what it will be so just keep saving for it!

      Delete
  3. OUr basement is leaking again and I am not happy.....Hubs is in the dog house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby maxed out his 401K for 2018. I put 20% of my income to my 401K too. We are on the right path and hopefully will be good during retirement. We are frugal now and have 9 years left on the mortgage. That will be done when I am 54 (or sooner) so then we can go crazy with retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by then you won't be putting kids through college either so I hope you go doubley crazy w/retirement savings! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Sluggy, this is Chris. Thanks to you and Hubs for being so transparent with your finances your first full year of retirement. I am appreciative of your honesty, and it is helpful to me to see this information. I think you guys had a great year. You are so fortunate to have retiree health care. That is a big thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to help all my readers in any way I can.
      We did have a good year(plus our health was good too).
      We are blessed to have that medical acct. to pay for healthcare but the payments are ridiculously high! We will run through that money before we hit Medicare age. Once we do, depending on WHAT the scheme is for healthcare in the US by then, we will qualify for premium subsidies so that helps.....but we will take a hit on premiums for 1.5 years.

      Delete
    2. We will all be in the same boat, Sluggy. C

      Delete
  6. First of all I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick
    question which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head before
    writing. I've had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing however it
    just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be
    lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.