Thursday, October 5, 2017

September To-Do List Update

SEPTEMBER

* Pay Bills  DONE  Everything got paid on time and no interest fees were accessed.  Go me.  Nothing fancy here, rather boring. blah blah blah

* Read 1,2 Books  DONE


The first book, "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell was very interesting.  It was a psuedo-biography of John Henry "Doc" Holiday.  Basically it followed Doc Holiday from his childhood in Georgia(as a series of flashbacks)up to his life lived in Dodge, Kansas and the people he knew both unknown and famous.  After his time in Dodge he moved to Tombstone Arizona as became embroiled in the notorious shoot-out at the OK Corral there, which is how most of the world remembers or knows him.  Doc knew some famous folks....the Earp Brothers, the Masterson Brothers as well as early entertainer and vaudevillian Eddie Foy.  One of the most interesting people Doc knew in real life was his on again/off again longtime companion/ common-law wife, Mary Katherine Horony, known to the world as "Big Nose Kate".  You can read about her HERE.
This book was very entertaining and informative and "meaty".  Very highly recommended for those of you who like American history and a good story.



This is a book that Kim leant me when I was visiting her in Idaho called "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop.  It's about a woman born into the FLDS(Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints sect), who married within that group and had children with her polygamist huusband, before realizing this wasn't the life she wanted for herself or her children and found a way to get them all out once Warren Jeffs came to power.
It was a real page turner and a harrowing(at times)account of her life.  Very sad but uplifting, she is a strong woman of faith.

* Repair LA House  DONE  The work finally was finished and we paid.  Now we just have to get this thing sold. ugh.

* Can Veggies  FAIL  Well not my fault really why I didn't get to this.  The tomatoes at the farm were ready the weekend we needed to go down to help Eldest in VA.  So no canning or relish making this Fall for me.  At least all my jars are gathered and ready to go once the harvest comes around next year.

* Declutter Spare Room  DONE  Hubs got his room organized, we got rid of 4 boxes of books plus I decluttered the hallway book shelf too.




* Donation to Sallie's  DONE  The 4 boxes of books mentioned above went bye-bye!


More stuff is slated to be donated as we clean out the garage in October.

* Paint Porch Posts  DONE


Hubs did this all by himself without my assistance.  Looks much better as they were in need of repainting.

* Seal Coat Driveway  DONE  Though we didn't do this ourselves, we arranged to have it done and paid for it.  The driveway is now good to go for another 3 years.



* Smoke Meats for Freezer  DONE



Three pork shoulders/butts were bought(at a discount of course)and I got them smoked last Friday.  Then into the crock pots and cooked down oovernight Saturday/Sunday and "pulled" when cooled off.  I ended up with 7+ quarts of meat.  6 of those went into the freezer(pictured above)-2 quart freezer bags inside a gallon freezer bag each.  Now when we get the "yen" for bbq this Winter all I have to do is thaw a bag out and whip up my famous Carolina vinegar sauce and simmer the meat in that and we be eatin' fine! 8-)

* Clean and Seal Deck  DONE   Though my contribution to this project was minimal the dog and I supervised Hubs and thanks to some stellar weather conditions it got done quickly and thoroughly.  Now the deck will be protected through another severe Northeastern PA Winter season.



* Put Garden to Bed  DONE  The garden(including my beautiful morning glories)had to be pulled up and the garden bed turned over and readied for Winter before the deck could be sealed.
I miss my morning glory vines......

* Clean Garage  FAIL  We ran out of time and energy(and enough good weather)to get this project even started in September.  This chore has moved to October's list and we have started in on the job as of Oct. 2nd.  Stay tuned for updates this month.

* Sell Stuff  DONE  I got on the stick and sold $89 worth of toiletries in September.



* Sew Stuff  DONE  I hemmed two pairs of jeans for Hubs and I started in on completing a shirt for myself that has been sitting around for ages.  Didn't get to as much as I wanted to sew but a start was made and I'll try to keep it going in October.

* Hold Giveaway  DONE  I got a giveaway up in September, drew a winner, mailed the box of goodies and said winner is happily enjoying them now(especially the tweezers it seems!lol).



* Pick Winner  DONE

* Mail Giveaway Prizes  DONE

* Go to Virginia  DONE  Life events necessitated that we travel down to visit Eldest son and lend him support and a hand in getting a few things accomplished.
We brought down 4 boxes of his "stuff" to him now that he has room for it in his apartment.  



It was fun watching him go through his junk, including old keepsakes from his childhood, and all those papers I saved from his early school years.




Though I can be a sentimental old sot I no longer feel the need to hold onto all this junk and every paper he colored on in pre-school and old birthday cards, etc.



Eldest is about as far away from being sentimental about all this stuff so we took a few photos and he pitched most of it in the garbage.(Don't look Val!)


I did however rescue a small token to keep.............



So all in all a good month for getting things done with only one major job not started in September.

I must say that one of the perks of having Hubs retired I am realizing is that not only is he home and has time to do all those little(and big)jobs I have wanted him to do around the house but he now takes his time on them(what else does he have to do since he isn't rushing off to work, right?)and tries to do a much more thorough job of it, rather than half-assing it and then me trying to fix it or complain about it. lolz

That's one of the great perks of having a retired spouse.
I knew there had to be a perk somewhere......hehehehe

So did you get your September chores accomplished?
Tell us all about it. 8-)

Sluggy

13 comments:

  1. You got a lot done and that pork will be so delicious in the middle of winter! If you share recipes would you share the Carolina sauce one? We are suckers for a vinegar based sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have had to rescue at least some of those things he was tossing. But, you got a good one to keep. It's a plus, for sure, that hubs has time to do a good job. That alone would keep me from complaining. You got lots done from your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hung onto it all this way too long and feel so much lighter now. He did photograph some things before pitching them and he kept a couple.

      Delete
  3. Okay so now I am really jealous. He takes his time and doesn't half ass things? What did I do wrong? Mine 3/4 asses things .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he's just making up for 33 years of not doing things or doing them half-assed. If I can get a few more projects out of him it's all good.
      3/4 assed is 50% better than half-assed at any rate so cheer up! lolz

      Delete
  4. That's quite a list done. I don't usually make lists. My DD is the list person, color coded and all LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least I don't color code mine. lolz
      I need a list to keep me on task and to make me feel like I get something done some days.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sluggy, this is Chris, you got a lot done in Sept. Good deal putting Hubs to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still enjoying the tweezers and the eye shadow! Husband and friend at work loved the chocolate treats.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. September seemed like a blur, but time always seems that way lately. I accomplished little to nothing, but worked very hard at work and trying to keep life balls from hitting the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a young one still at home it's all one can do to keep all the balls in the air sometimes.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.