Sunday, October 1, 2017

Mattress Love

Ok, so Hubs and I ordered our temper-pedic type foam mattress 10 years ago from Overstock dotcom.
The particular one we bought is out of stock and I don't think they make it anymore but Overstock does still carry the brand we purchased.


Here is the LINK to the brand we bought on that website. 
It's a Comfort Dreams brand and we bought the 14 inch mattress.
Back in 2007 you didn't have a choice of a "soft", "medium" or "firm" foam mattress like you do now.  I suspect you could try out the firmness at a brick and mortar store
You can use a foam mattress on a platform type bed frame or on a traditional box spring.
I would suspect that putting it on a box spring would cut down on one of the major benefits of a foam bed-the absence of pressure points.

The bed Eldest son got is THIS ONE.  He is mad in love with it so far.  Best money he ever spent I believe he said.

I couldn't believe the prices the brick and mortar stores were charging for memory foam beds, even ones with just a thin top layer of memory foam on a traditional mattress!(But then again I haven't shopped for a mattress in a store since the 1990's.)  One place wanted over $5K for a mattress, a boxspring/foundation layer and an adjustable frame.  Those frames that raise and lower add about $1K onto the cost of the bed so I guess the actual pieces you lay on top of were abotu $4K.  Yikes!

And stay away from Temper-pedic name branded mattresses unless you really like spending extra money for a name.  The same materials go into any memory foam mattress.  True there are levels of value depending on the foams used but Temper-pedic doesn't seem to have anything proprietary except the label they slap on the bed.


The only issue I have with a memory foam mattress is that it's darn hard to get up out of since there is no metal framework within or underneath it to push against you as you rise like a traditional bed w/or w/out a traditional box spring underneath it.   I would trade that in any day to lose having pressure points in my bed.

Plus I find that when I travel and have to sleep on traditional beds in motels and such now I am spoiled and can't wait to get back to my memory foam bed. 8-)))

Has anyone tried a purely memory foam type mattress or are you still in the traditional mattress camp?

Sluggy

11 comments:

  1. We have a Signature Sleep queen size (10") memory foam mattress (Amazon) and Megan has a Spa Sensations twin size(8") mem foam mattress (Walmart). Both were purchased online. We are happy with them. Megan's is especially comfortable. The worst part is getting them out of the shipping box. Other than that, no problems. I would never recommend buying a mattress from a B & M mattress store. It's a ripoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the traditional mattress camp only because ours still has several more years of life in it and we are definitely members of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't bought one in years; I am not help here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a double pillow top mattress purchased in 2004. It is still comfortable and hopefully will remain so for several more years. I will say, it is a bugger to flip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I say you get what helps you sleep well. A mattress is like a good pair of shoes. You will notice I only wear danskos as death begin with your feet. Don't pinch pennies when it comes to your health and well being. I think my well being depends on chocolate and dirt coke. When we come to visit will you let me jump on it just once?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to have a memory foam mattress, but apparently they retain heat better than a traditional mattress, so they're not the best type of mattress to own here in the tropics, unless you intend to spend a small fortune on air conditioning.

    When we needed a mattress for our daughter here though, we bought a memory foam mattress through Amazon. It was delivered sealed in a large tube, and when I made the first tiny cut in the outer covering, the mattress began to inflate and push its way out of the tube - it was like one of those giant rafts being activated by accident. The darn mattress nearly smothered me!

    We're sleeping on a queen mattress we bought nearly 15 years ago for a couple of hundred dollars - we bought the floor model after it was discontinued. It's still very firm and comfortable, which has been a lovely surprise. It should last us a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of those people with a memory foam topper on top of a traditional mattress - so comfortable and still easy to get up in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the info!! I don't know how to ask this without it sounding bad, which I DO NOT intend it to; I am a lady of larger size, in your opinion, will this type of mattress hold up to my sleeping on it, without it having permanent damage/wear done to it? Our current mattress has permanent dents and sags where I sleep. We want a bed that will not fail in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a woman of a certain girth so I hear ya! lolz Ours is beginning to get some low spots where I sleep that correspond to my larger areas. ;-) But the mattress is 10 years old now and it's not so much that it's affecting my quality of sleep.....the hubs' snoring does that. lolz

      Delete
  9. My mattress is supposed to be the old kind. But, there is no frame and it is so difficult to get out of. NOT off of. I am in the thing. There is a 4 inch depression in the middle. It is very disappointing. I need a new one and this in not two years old, but it has a ten year warranty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love our memory foam. It is actually our second one that we purchased from a small local company that makes them right here in CT

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.