Sunday, May 3, 2009

One of the Best 4 Letter Words Ever!

Can you guess what one of the best 4 Letter Words of the English Language is?
If you are a Couponer, it might just be......
F-R-E-E!

I know I 'heart' free.....how about you?

One of the grocery stores in Teeny Tiny Town is 'different'. Instead of running their weekly Sales ads from Sunday to Saturday, they run theirs from Thursday to Wednesday. In fact, the entire regional Chain of these markets run sales from Thursday to Wednesday. There is no big full color ad in my Sunday paper, the paper I buy to get my lovely, lovely coupons each week. Their sales ad comes out in Thursdays newspaper, that I don't buy. If I want to know what's on sale at this store I either have to go to the store on Thursday(a tad inconvenient)or remember to look up their flyer online(which I seldom do right away).
I think this store runs their Sales midweek to midweek just to TICK me off....ya know?

Because of their sales starting midweek, I hardly ever go shopping there early on into their sales, meaning I usually miss out on the good stuff that sells out. This week I just happened to remember to check out their online flyer when it posted after midnight on Wednesday night/morning. I had just gone through my coupons, to winnow out the rest of the ones that were expiring on Thursday-April 30th-that I hadn't used yet, when I checked out the sales flyer.

Two items in the flyer got my attention straight away. I don't ususally buy my HBA supplies at the grocery store(that's what CVS & WAGS are for after all!)but the Grocery store was putting large tubes of Crest Toothpaste on sale for $1.
Now Colgate can be had for cheap or free alot but Crest is usually a bit more $ around here. Then I saw that the store had Gillette Men's & Satin Care Ladies Shaving Cream on special for .99¢ each this week as well. This item sells for $2.99 regularly around here.

I had just taken both $1/1 Crest Toothpaste and $1/1 Gillette Shave Cream coupons out of my binder to dispose of, since they were expiring Thursday, April 30th.......which was the 1st day of the sale where I could now use those coupons to get these items for F-R-E-E!

So you'll never guess where I was on Thursday?
If you guessed in that regional Grocery Store in Teeny Tiny Town, you would be correct!

Since I had so many coupons, I spread them out over 3 different stores so I didn't clean out any single store of the items. Ok....the 1st store someone else had already cleaned them out of the Shaving Cream, except for 4 cans.....which I bought. I left plenty of both toothpaste and shaving cream behind otherwise, in each store I visited.

The grocery store also had Mentos Gum packs on special(not advertised in the sales flyer)& I still had 14 coupons for those that were also expiring so I picked up some free gum while I was at it.

So here's what about an hour's worth of work got me.....
14 Mentos
17 Crest Toothpaste
19 Gillette Shaving Cream

Zero.
Out.
Of.
Pocket.

FREE has got to be my favorite kind of shopping!lol
And this was serendipitous because I used up a bunch of coupons I thought I'd have to ditch.

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. I am so envious of your hounding skills slugmamma!

    this post alone is so stupendous it earned your blog a mention in my most recent blog post. Check it out. I hope you don't mind the link back.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jo and "Pretty".
    I love hearing from readers. 8-))

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.